PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: someone please put my mind at ease

bcky2
05-04-2006, 10:39 PM
UPDATE: i am back from the doctors and here is what we know so far. i have high blood pressure. we have tracked it for a few months and there is no denying it. i am now on meds for it :( i have some blood work that i need to have done tomorrow after 10 hours of fasting. they are going to check for some kidney issues and a few other things to see what may be going on there. so i am not on my death bed but i am also not excited about the bp issue. thanks again for all your thoughts :)

ok i am starting to get a little bit worried. i have this pain on my right side that is mostly in my back but comes around to the side. it is basically where my kidney is. it has been there for about 2 weeks. at first i thought that it was a strained muscle as i started to work out around that time. well it has not gotten better, actually a little worse. when i was pregnant with ds #1 i had issues with my kidney on that side swelling and they said it was just due to the baby laying funny. i was in horrible pain for months befor it stopped. this kinda reminds me of that pain. the only other thing that i have been doing is drinking alot of water. i have been making sure that i get in 64oz a day. i have been doing that for 2 weeks now. i HATE running to the doctor crying pain pain pain and then being told that it is just a pulled muscle while i sit there and feel like a big dork that wasted their time x( someone please put my mind at ease and tell me that yes it probably is just a pulled muscle and to take 2 tylenol and go to bed ;) i am going to go to bed and put an icy hot patch on it to see if that helps at all.

i tried to tell dh and he says well your not pregnant are you. i tell him no but im still in pain. sorry, well just as long as your not pregnant :( ok im still in pain here buddy and btw, my tubes are tied you big dummy!

C99
05-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Go to the doctor -- especially if you have had problems w/ that area before and it's been 2 weeks.

Wife_and_mommy
05-04-2006, 11:14 PM
I agree with Caroline. I don't like going to the doc w/ pains they can't figure out either but I'd err on the side of caution since you've had issues before.

Hope you're better soon.

Elizabeth
mommy to DD(April '04) and DS(January '06)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

megs4413
05-04-2006, 11:14 PM
definitely go to the doc. who cares if it's just a pulled muscle? That's GOOD news! Make sure they take you seriously. Two weeks is an awful long time for you to sit in pain! Make an appointment ASAP! Hope you feel better soon!

bcky2
05-05-2006, 09:32 AM
i am going to try and make an appointment for either tomorrow or monday as i have no one to watch the boys for me today :( my hands got so swollen last night i had to take off my wedding ring in fear that it may not come off in the morning. thanks for the help ladies :)

amck
05-05-2006, 11:49 AM
i'm worried about the swelling comment you just made. please call your doctor ASAP and tell them you've had pain x 2 weeks and you MUST mention the swelling if this is not normal for you. are you peeing a normal amount? any change in color?

bcky2
05-05-2006, 02:11 PM
i just over the last 2 weeks started to drink 64oz of water a day so at this point i think that it is normal :) my eyes are not yellow or anything like that. i am such a brat i have not called yet, i wanted to see if it would get better over the weekend x( my other thought is that last time i was at the docs my bp was very high(like 100-110/140's-150's) at different readings and i have heard that high bp can cause kidney problems. and no i have not kept up with my bp and he said maybe just maybe it was because of the appointment that it was up. i should have keep up on having it checked like he said :(

chiqanita
05-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Yes! Yes! Yes! You should watch your bp especially if the doc said so. And I agree with the other PPs, GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW!!! If you can swing it. I'm worried for you. My sister had similar pain and kept waiting just like you. She even thought it was because she was sleeping on her side too much. Well, on her week-long skiing vacation it was so bad BIL took her to the ER where they discovered she was passing a kidney stone. Saving grace, they were wonderful with her and took great care of her while in Tahoe.

ribbit1019
05-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Oh that sounds terrible. I agree with everyone, call and have them look at you right away. Just doesn't sound right with all the other symptoms you've been having, if you are drinking that much water you shouldn't really be swelling all that much...
Poo on your DH for mot being more sympathetic and worrying about you more.
Even if they say it is a strained muscle then as a PP said, that is a good thing!

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
& Jarred 3/8/06, 11 lb 14.5 oz 24" @ 6 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

Sillygirl
05-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Becky, your original post didn't make me too worried but the swelling of hands is troublesome. I'm a nephrology fellow (a kidney doctor) and if you were my patient I'd want to see you and run some basic blood work on you. There's many things this could be but you need to get checked. Are you taking over the counter pain meds for the back pain? Many of them can cause or worsen kidney problems in higher doses.

Sillygirl
05-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Been thinking about you - hope all is well.

brittone2
05-09-2006, 07:54 PM
I hope that you get some relief and answers soon.

JBaxter
05-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Becky did you go to the doctor YET???? ( I know the answer but want some others to encourage you TO GO!!!!)

ykc
05-09-2006, 08:19 PM
I take it from the PP that you haven't gone to the doctor yet. Please GO!!! History of kidney problems, high BP in the past, swelling of the hands = good reason to go to the doctor. Even if it turns out to be a muscle strain. If the nephrologist on the board is urging you to go, I'd listen!

And then let us know how you are doing. Good luck.

bcky2
05-09-2006, 08:27 PM
i have an appointment for friday at 1:15. my bp has been hanging out aroun 140-150/90's-110 so i am thinking maybe very high blood pressure is the cause. who know, unless thoes machines at target and such are really wrong but then again that is what he got in the office so who knows. i will let you all know what happens at the appointment :)

again i feel so loved that you all remembered and checked back with me :) well then again jeana has been calling me non stop to make sure that i go :D

elliput
05-09-2006, 08:30 PM
YEA! I am glad you have an appt for Friday. Good Luck! :-)

mommyoftwo
05-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Becky, you had better go. I don't want to hear otherwise, young lady. :P Seriously, I'm concerned about you and want to make sure that you are okay. That combination of symptoms really needs to be checked out ASAP. We will definitely be checking up on you.

Wife_and_mommy
05-09-2006, 09:40 PM
So glad you have an appt. I hope you're feeling functional and get good news. Let us know.

Elizabeth
mommy to DD(April '04) and DS(January '06)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

elliput
05-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Thank you for the update. I was just coming back to my desk to look up when your appt was and ask how you are doing. :-) Hopefully the tests tomorrow will explain more and that the pain is caused by nothing serious.

elliput
05-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Thank you for the update. I was just coming back to my desk to look up when your appt was and ask how you are doing. :-) Hopefully the tests tomorrow will explain more and that the pain is caused by nothing serious.

buddyleebaby
05-12-2006, 04:27 PM
So glad you went to the Dr!

mudder17
05-12-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm sorry, Becky. :( My mom has HBP and it is finally under control with meds and diet, but when it wasn't it was NOT fun. :( My friend also has HBP, but unfortunately, she can't treat it easily right now because she's pregnant (but it's not preeclampsia). I hope things get revolved quickly and that the rest of your body is okay.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

JBaxter
05-12-2006, 04:50 PM
I was SO glad to hear it is something controlable. Hang in there and Ill cross my fingers for your blood work.

ykc
05-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Glad you made it to the doctor's. It's a pain to take the meds, but better than having high blood pressure. Hope your back is feeling better. Good luck with the bloodwork.

mommyoftwo
05-12-2006, 08:09 PM
I'm so glad you went to your appointment. I'm sorry to hear about the high blood pressure, but certainly glad you are now on medication. I hope that your tests go smoothly tomorrow and they don't fine anything more serious than the high bp.

bcky2
05-13-2006, 12:19 PM
the more i think about it the more it seems to suck but there is sooo much worse that can be wrong so in that aspect i am lucky. thanks again :)