PDA

View Full Version : Discipline and Picking Battles--How to be a team (long)

kfk
05-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Hi everyone,
I was hoping anyone might have advice. Lately DH and I have been disagreeing about discipline for our almost 19 month old twins. I know we have to be consistent and pick our battles, especially as the boys assert their independence. Unfortunately, I think we have different priorities. This was not really an issue until lately, when the boys were smaller DH mostly followed my lead, and we did some discussion/negotiation when he didn't like or understand my POV.
Recent example: Zac has decided he doesn't want to sit in his booster to eat (we feed the boys in boosters in the kitchen). We have always used the boosters for meals, and mostly for snacks too. I decided to insist on the chair, he refused and then cried/got upset and refused to eat. That night DH decided Zac can just eat on the floor if he wants, though mostly he's wanted to be held. My concerns: this sets a bad example for Jake, and distracts him and me during mealtime; we have no way of closing off the kitchen, so wandering with food becomes an issue (we have already been dealing with this problem with sippies, since I'm trying to enforce the rule that milk sippies stay in the kitchen); and what does this do to my goal of instituting family dinners in the next few months?
What gets me is that this all happened right after our 18 mo. well check where our ped. talked about feeding difficulties at this age and how he and his wife were rather strict, that the boys wouldn't starve, and it has ultimately paid off.
On the other hand, DH continues to lose his temper at the boys for unloading his bookshelves, or banging their wooden toys loudly on the coffee table. My view is: DH should have removed the books long ago, and the banging, while annoying isn't such a big deal, just calmly re-direct the boys and remove the toy being banged.
Anyway, I've told DH we need to sit down and talk about this stuff, and would love some good ideas, and/or books, websites, etc. that I can check out beforehand.

omgrown
05-05-2006, 01:09 PM
I wish I had some advice for you, but I'm currently dealing with the same sort of issues. I'll be checking in for other BTDT advice.
I do know that getting down on DS's level and looking at him in the eye (which he hates doing, he knows he's getting disciplined) does seem to help with avoiding screaming tantrums. It has helped when we stay calm and firmly tell him what actions make us unhappy.
I've also sort of read "Happiest Toddler on the Block" but really need to start following through with those recommendations since they seem to make sense.
As far as you and DH being a team, I think those are things you'll need to discuss separate from when they're actually happening so that you know where you stand. (I know that's easier said than done). Compromise might help, like if you're willing to discipline them about banging on the table (which bugs him) then maybe he'd be willing to enforce an eating only in the booster seat rule.
I can totally empathize though, I'm going through much the same thing right now :-)

masha12
05-05-2006, 02:56 PM
I think the easiest way to be consistent with discipline is to respect the wishes of the "strictest" parent. That is, if you want the boys to sit in their chairs during dinner, your husband needs to support you on this. Similarly, if your husband does not want the boys banging toys on the table or removing books from the bookshelves, you need to be supportive of that rule (or perhaps remove the temptations).

Your discipline conflict is not one where one wants "A" and the other wants "not A." Rather, you want A and don't care about B, while he doesn't care about A but wants B. This is not such a bad situation. You just have have to be supportive of the other (although it can be hard to enforce rules you don't think are necessary).

You can be consistent with discipline even if you don't agree on which rules are necessary and which ones aren't as long as you agree that rules established by one parent are enforced and respected by the other.