PDA

View Full Version : OT: Simple partial seizure in an adult- any experience?

jennifer13
05-05-2006, 08:20 PM
On Monday I had a seizure for the first time, we're pretty sure it was a simple partial seizure, although I haven't seen the neurologist yet. I've had a cat-scan which was normal. The seizure does not seem to have been "provoked" in any way- i was well rested (for once!) wasn't hypo-glycemic or drinking or anything like that. Do you think it's possible that I might just have it once and not have a recurrence? Thanks, I love these boards for the wealth of knowledge and experience everyone brings, so I thought I'd throw this latest curve ball in my life out there and see what insights folks might have. Many thanks.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03
and Leah 3/24/05

megs4413
05-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Where were you? What were you doing? Even if there aren't any obvious triggers, something may have caused the seizure to occur. Are you sure it was a seizure? Have you had an EEG? Do you have an appointment with the neurologist? Sorry to ask all these questions. I'm just wonderinf what all the cirucmstances are. I'm epileptic so I have experience with seizures, but not necessary isolated ones. I was diagnosed when i was 17, so not exactly an adult, but not a childhood thing either. It started when i was 16 and it happened in stressful situations. Were you under any stress?

jennifer13
05-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Hi. I have not had an EEG yet, and my appt with the neurologist is not until June 18th, which is incredibly frustrating, but at least i'm on a cancellation list if something opens up sooner. I was totally relaxed, DD #2 was napping and DD#1 and I were cuddled up reading a book on the sofa. Seriously, I cannot pinpoint any trigger. And no I guess we don't know definitively that it was a seizure, but my primary doc thinks it sounds like I did. Symptoms were: sudden onset of intense deja vu, then confusion, crazy thoughts, then cold face, nausea, dizziness, then it passed, leaving me sort of dazed and then really sleepy. The only other thing is that I had been really tense for a few days prior and I have noticed that I've had increased tension and anxiety lately.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03
and Leah 3/24/05

mommy_someday
05-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Jennifer, I don't have any experience with this, but I just wanted to send you some (((hugs))). That must be really scary. I hope your visit with the neurologist is helpful. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

sadie427
05-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi Jen--Susan from Chicago here (now in residency in Seattle, congrats on baby #2 BTW!) I'm not a neurologist, but my understanding is that a new onset primary seizure disorder would be a bit uncommon in your age group. It's certainly possible to have one seizure and never have another, I did do a quick search and unfortunately wasn't able to find the percentage. It's also possible that it wasn't a seizure--sounds a bit like a panic attack except for the part about being sleepy afterwards; could even have been a migraine. Many medications lower your seizure threshold/cause seizures, I imagine your doctor has already ruled that out. You might see if your PMD will order an MRI and/or an EEG so your neurologist will have the information, as that would be the next step of the workup, but that will depend on your insurance and on how high your doctor's clinical suspicion is. Keep us updated, I'll be thinking of you.

barbarhow
05-06-2006, 07:01 AM
I am not a neurologist, either but it sounds a little bit like a partial seizure/temporal lobe epilepsy. I don't know the likelihood of it never happening again. The sleepiness afterwards sounds like a post-ictal state.
That must have been pretty scary for you. I hope you get ansewrs soon. How frustrating that you can't get in to see someone earlier. Yet another problem with our medical system. Please keep us posted.

Edited to add a link to WebMD

http://www.emedicine.com/NEURO/topic365.htm

Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

jennifer13
05-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Hi Susan,
Congrats on Seattle! You just be happy to be back on the west coast.

My primary ruled out a migraine, and I personally don't think it was a panic attack because I didn't have any shortness of breath, or even any fear or anxiety- overall i was very relaxed, and actually thought i was having some sort of transcendantal psychic experience! And it was very short- about 30 seconds or so. My primary also thought the sleepiness was characteristic of the "post-ichtal" phase of a seizure. That's a great idea to see if my primary can order the EEG/MRI since it will take so long to see the neurologist. Thanks so much for your input and I'll post an update when I know something.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03
and Leah 3/24/05

jennifer13
05-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the link! Yes, my primary also thought the sleepiness was characteristic of the post-ictal state. It was definitely scary although i am relieved that the cat-scan was normal, because my big fear was that I had a brain tumor. Thanks for your input, i'll definitely post an update when i have one.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03
and Leah 3/24/05

lmintzer
05-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Jennifer,
I'm sorry this happened to you. Please PM me (or e-mail at [email protected]). DH is a neurologist who specializes in Epiepsy. I'm sure he wouldn't mind answering your questions. Plus, depending on where you are, he might have a rec for who you may see. We're in Philly, but he knows good people in different areas of the country.

Lisa

megs4413
05-06-2006, 02:34 PM
I know for me the stress is a build up thing. So even though you were feeling relaxed at the time those several days of tension that led up to it may have been a contributing factor. Also as the PP said, try and get the MRI and EEG ordered and done before you go see the neuro. That's what he'll have you do if he's suspicious enough that it was a seizure. I think you might have covered this already but did your doctor take your blood sugar? Good luck with all of this. That must have been really strange. If it happens again you might try to write down what you were doing and how it felt, etc. All those details. Journaling like that can help the doctors determine what is going on and look for possible triggers that are less than obvious. Hopefully this is an isolated incident and you won't have to do anything like that. I hope you get a cancellation!

jennifer13
05-06-2006, 11:02 PM
That's interesting about the stress buildup. We had been traveling to visit my in-laws over the weekend before it happened on Monday. I guess maybe I just won't visit my in-laws anymore. :) I'm sorry you have been dealing with epilepsy since adolescence, I realize now how it can affect a person's entire life.

Monday I am going to call my primary and inquire about an EEG/MRI or see if she can advocate to get me into neurology sooner. Thanks for your help, and good luck to you too!

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03
and Leah 3/24/05

cara1
05-07-2006, 01:08 AM
I agree, see if your primary can order the EEG and MRI for now. Also, can't your primary call and get you in sooner? Can you call another neurologist? Where do you live?

Yes, people can have single isolated seizures. If the EEG is abnormal, that's more of a reason to start medication. FYI, in terms of the symptoms you describe, IF they represent a seizure, it would be a partial complex seizure, not a simple partial seizure.

jennifer13
05-07-2006, 06:19 AM
So what causes a seizure if there is a normal EEG? And how will we ever know for sure if it was a seizure? For some reason that freaks me out. I'm thinking I'll call my primary on Monday and see if she can get me in sooner. I live in Madison, Wisconsin, and due to insurance I'm restricted to the neurology clinic at UW, but I'm sure I'm in good hands there. Thanks a lot.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03
and Leah 3/24/05

cara1
05-09-2006, 12:25 PM
I agree, an academic medical center should serve you well.
A single EEG is about 50% sensitive at picking up an abnormality. You may never know for sure if it was or wasn't a seizure, if it never happens again.
If your EEG and MRI are normal, they'll probably just follow you.
Again, they'll want to rule out any other things that would have lowered your seizure threshold (sleep deprivation, meds/herbs/drugs/too much caffeine).
Hope this helps.