PDA

View Full Version : Pine nuts?

MarisaSF
05-05-2006, 10:54 PM
This is a totally random question, but can anyone tell me how much they generally pay for pine nuts?

Our local non-gourmet supermarket (Vons) was selling a 6 oz packet for $11.49. That seemed outrageous, so I passed and didn't have any on my pasta tonight. :(

I'm fairly certain I've bought them at Trader Joe's for like $4.99. Or maybe I've just never bought them myself. If that's the case, I've been eating a lot of the ILs' very pricey nuts! :P

jbowman
05-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Marisa,

I was at Sam's Club yesterday, and I think I saw a large package of them for around $8-9.

psophia17
05-05-2006, 11:05 PM
I don't buy pine nuts at the grocery store for two reasons - the first is that you have no idea how long they've been there and pine nuts go rancid very quickly, and the second is that they're ridiculously expensive.

They are cheaper in places that get a higher turnover, or where you buy them in bulk, but I don't know how much because it's in Cdn prices for grams...how many grams are in an ounce?

MarisaSF
05-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Okay. Thanks, Jill. That makes me feel better. I didn't think they were salty gold!

MarisaSF
05-05-2006, 11:16 PM
That was the other reason I didn't buy them. This particular grocery store is kinda grungy in general. The pine nuts were hanging in an "olde-fashioned" looking package in a display section. I was thinking they'd be in a big bin with a lid and scoop, ya know? -- I'm fairly certain that's how I've bought them before.

As for how many grams are in an ounce, I don't know. But this package I saw was 6 oz and it would have been just enough for 2-3 toppings worth, I think. Tiny!

Okay, well, good to know I'm not going crazy or getting (too) old. "Back in the day, I could buy PINE NUTS for 50 cents! Whippersnappers...."

tarabenet
05-06-2006, 07:17 PM
I usually see them for $4-$5 for a small package. But today I picked up a 1 lb, 8 oz bag at Costco for $11. Freshness date is 03/14/07.