PDA

View Full Version : At what age did your DC start getting teeth?

Emmas Mom
05-06-2006, 02:36 PM
My little Gracie has been pretty fussy lately...chewing on her hands & drooling quite a bit. I figured she was teething cause I know they can start a couple months (or more?) before the teeth actually come in. Well on Thursday I felt her lower gums & they were hard & a little swollen. Sure enough yesterday morning a little tooth had popped through on the bottom front right side. I can tell the one next to it will be popping through any time now too. She's a good 2+ months earlier than Emma was. I'm just wondering if this is early on average? Not that it really matters but I thought the average was like 6 months? At her age though I'm nervous about giving her anything other than a little Tylenol for the discomfort. Those "teething toys" are so dang hard I just can't see how gumming those would make her feel any better. And Orajel tastes so nasty. Any suggestions for the pain?

elliput
05-06-2006, 03:44 PM
My friend's DD had her first tooth come in at exactly 3 months, so it is not unusually for teeth to come in early.

A liquid filled teether that can be chilled or frozen are well like by many babies, as the cold helps to numb the pain a bit. I have seen in a couple of other teething posts, Moms mentioning wetting part of and then freezing a wash cloth for their DC to chew on. Other than that Tylenol is the best choice.

essnce629
05-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Conner didn't get his first tooth until he was 10 months old. He was already feeding himself and completely off pureed foods by that time-- he just gummed everything.

***Latia
Birth and Postpartum Doula
http://www.socaldoula.com

Conner 8/19/03 (homebirthed water baby)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months!

nfowife
05-06-2006, 05:08 PM
My DD got her first tooth at 11.5 months! And now she has just the bottom 2 a month later. She's been on table food for 3 months now and can eat pretty much anything we do within reason, no need for teeth to chew!

kdeunc
05-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Both of my boys got their first tooth at 12 weeks exactly. Apparently so did my DH. I used tylenol as needed but neither DS really had a hard time with teeth.

tarabenet
05-06-2006, 07:13 PM
My niece got her first teeh (multiple) at just before three months. And even though Orajel may taste ick, when she saw us get out the swabs (the pre-filled kind), she'd stop crying, and open wide. She learned quickly that relief was on its way. Also, my SIL has had great luck with the Hyland Teething Tablets, which are a homeopathic remedy. That is what niece has been using for the last few months, and again, when she sees the little bottle coming, she calms down.

Good luck.

dhano923
05-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Both my kids started showing signs of teething around 3 1/2 months and both got their 2 bottom teeth at 5 1/2 months (DD just got hers 2 weeks ago).

I don't use Orajel on my kiddos -- I've been told by several nurses and doctors that it upsets a lot of kid's tummies. If they seem uncomfortable, I just give Tylenol, and I also give them gripe water for the upset tummy/spitting up.

jillc
05-06-2006, 11:38 PM
A cool wet washcloth to chew on always calmed DD. Not sure if it felt good, or she was distracted by playing with it, but it worked. We did Tylenol sometimes, too.

Our pediatrician advised to stay away from Orajel b/c it's so powerfully numbing. I believe she mentioned that there was some concern about swallowing the tongue. Doesn't seem too likely to me. ;) But, I tried a very tiny dab of Orajel on the tip of my toungue once (actually licked off my fingertip after rubbing DD's gum w/it), and I was shocked at how powerful it was. The tiny dab made my whole tongue numb. I stayed away from it after that. Thought it was kind of freaky somehow.

overcome
05-07-2006, 09:43 AM
i'm still waiting for my dd first tooth to come in (it must be on its way...i swear she has a drool factory in her mouth) but here is some advice I read (probably on this board).

You know those net feeder things that you can stick a piece of fruit in and let your baby suck the juice out? Put an ice cube in there and let them gum away!

Good luck!
Ashley

MMEand1
05-09-2006, 11:17 PM
My DD was a little over 10 months before she got her first tooth and the second came right after that. She stalled after the first 2 and did not get any more until 14 months when her 4 back molars came in. She is almost 16 months now and still does not have her 2 top front teeth, but has the 2 bottom front, 4 back molars, and 2 top canines.

My DD likes to chew/suck on a cold, wet washcloth. We also give her a bit of Tylenol when she is getting real fussy.

Good luck as I know teething can be a bear for our little ones.
Mariah P.

cchavez
05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Diego got his first tooth at 5.5 months.....Mia is drooling up a storm but no teeth yet...she is almost 4.5 months. I don't like orajel but use Hylands very frequently....they are great!

Emmas Mom
05-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions....I used Tylenol, a semi frozen washcloth & a few Hylands. I guess the combination worked pretty good. I think we're out of the woods for a little while now as both those little bottom teeth have popped through. I tried to catch a picture of them cause my whole family is "dying" to see them....this was about the best I could do.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33369.jpg