PDA

View Full Version : Is there a baby-friendly, non-toxic version of Neosporin?

JMS
05-06-2006, 08:38 PM
DS (5+ months old) has a little boo boo on his finger (I think his nail was a bit ingrown) that is having a hard time healing. He is at the age where his hands are in his mouth all day. If it were my own hand, I know using Neosporin would help it heal quickly, but after reading the warning statements, I'm not comfortable using it on DS.

TIA!

dr mom
05-06-2006, 09:11 PM
I put Lansinoh (lanolin) on all DS's little scrapes - it keeps them clean and creates a little bit of a moisure barrier. Plus we had a ton of it leftover from our early days of nursing, so I was looking for a way to use it up. Good for dry skin on your elbows, knees and feet, too. ;)

dhano923
05-06-2006, 10:56 PM
I do Aquaphor to keep her saliva off the cut (she has broken the skin on her finger twice because her newly erupted teeth!).

Marisa6826
05-06-2006, 11:29 PM
If you're nursing, put some breastmilk on his owie. Seriously. It's a great antibacterial agent.

I also second the Lanisoh recommendation. If possible, try and put some on after he's gone to sleep (warm it in your hands first so it is easier to apply). That way it will have a chance to create a bit of a barrier.

Hope he's better soon.

-m

jillc
05-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Breastmilk was going to be my 1st answer, too. It's the best! Always helped to heal DD's little scrapes. :)

My LC's husband is a pharmacist & she told us that he chose his daughter's EBM as his "drug of choice" to heal his pinkeye once when they were on vacation. ;)

cara1
05-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Bacitracin

JElaineB
05-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Since the OP is worried about her baby ingesting it, I wouldn't recommend bacitracin:

"bacitracin (băs'Ä*trÄ?'sÄ*n) , antibiotic produced by a strain of the bacterial species Bacillus subtilis. It is widely used for topical therapy such as for skin and eye infections; it is effective against gram-positive bacteria, including strains of staphylococcus that are resistant to penicillin (see Gram's stain). Bacitracin is toxic to humans and is no longer used internally." from Answers.com

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Judegirl
05-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Calendula ointment - both Hylands and Boiron make one, and it's homeopathic and antibacterial, and soothing as well.

cara1
05-08-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure that Answers.com is a reputable medical site with medical information.

Bacitracin is a standard medication given to adults and children. It even remains available in injectable forms (intramuscular). I don't think you'll find any information available on toxicity of oral ingestion of topical ointment. It should be fine.

If the OP is concerned, why not ask your pediatrician?

JElaineB
05-08-2006, 12:51 PM
1) It is not FDA approved in children
2) It is a component of Neosporin which the OP was trying to avoid
3) There are several black box warnings concerning use of IM bacitracin, and the OP is asking about topical not IM injection.

This is from the drug formulary at the pharmacy college where I work. I can look it up in a few other drug information databases if you like.

BACITRACIN
Common Tradenames (See Complete Tradename Listing)
AK-Tracin
Baciguent
Baciim
Ocu-Tracin
Class
Antibacterial
Antibiotic
Dosage, Adult (usual)
Bacterial infection of eye: apply thin ribbon of opthalmic ointment every 3-4 hr for 7-10 days
Superficial bacterial infection of skin: apply TOPICALLY 2-5 times/day
Dosage, Pediatric, (usual)
Not FDA approved in children
Bacterial infection of eye: apply thin ribbon of ophthalmic ointment every 3-4 hr for 7-10 days
Superficial bacterial infection of skin: apply TOPICALLY 2-5 times/day
Administration
skin infections; do not use on deep or puncture wounds, serious burns or raw areas
skin infections; wash affected area with soap and water and dry prior to application
How Supplied
Intramuscular Powder for Solution: 10000 U, 50000 U
Ophthalmic Ointment: 500 U/GM
Topical Ointment: 500 U/GM
Indications
FDA labeled indications
Bacterial infection of eye
Superficial bacterial infection of skin
Contraindications
hypersensitivity to bacitracin products
Precautions
ophthalmic ointment may retard corneal wound healing
prolonged use may result in overgrowth of non-susceptible organisms
bacterial resistance may develop
sensitivity to aminoglycosides or polymyxins
Adverse Effects
COMMON
Cardiovascular: Swelling
Dermatologic: Contact dermatitis, Pruritus
Ophthalmic: Blurred vision, Red eye
Drug Interactions
Alcuronium (moderate, probable)
Atracurium (moderate, probable)
Cisatracurium (moderate, probable)
Doxacurium (moderate, probable)
Fazadinium (moderate, probable)
Gallamine (moderate, probable)
Hexafluorenium (moderate, probable)
Metocurine (moderate, probable)
Mivacurium (moderate, probable)
Pancuronium (moderate, probable)
Pipecuronium (moderate, probable)
Rapacuronium (moderate, probable)
Rocuronium (moderate, probable)
Tubocurarine (moderate, probable)
Vecuronium (moderate, probable)
Pregnancy Category
C
Breast Feeding
Infant risk cannot be ruled out.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

cara1
05-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Your list does not list any side effects. I am still not hearing anything toxic about topical Bacitracin, even if some is ingested.

There are other components of Neosporin that the OP may have been trying to avoid (Neomycin, Polymyxin B) rather than Bacitracin, which is why I mentioned it.

There are many medications routinely given to children that are not FDA approved. That doesn't mean they aren't safe. Generally it means that children were excluded from the initial studies.

kijip
05-08-2006, 02:26 PM
>Since the OP is worried about her baby ingesting it, I
>wouldn't recommend bacitracin:

That and also many people (including me) can't use Neosporin BECAUSE it contains bacitracin. My doctor always gives me a double antibotic ointment that is bacitracin free. Many people with senistive skin have this problem apparently.

Marisa6826
05-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Please tell me that I'm not going to have to lock a thread concerning what to put on an infant's hang nail.

Let's play nice, ladies.

-m

amp
05-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Use breastmilk, lanisnoh or Aquaphor. All are relatively safe. We used them on DD's hands, even when they were in his mouth. All have some healing properties.

JMS
05-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks everyone.
I tried Aquaphor and have been soaking his finger in breastmilk a couple of times a day for the last two days and it's still not looking that great. I'm worried that it's an infection and after speaking with the nurse at my ped's office for the third time about this matter, we decided it would probably be best to bring him in for the Dr to take a look at it tomorrow. I probably sound like such a paranoid worry-wart, but it really isn't looking good and I think it should be healing after a week. I guess I would just rather be on the safe side.

I'm going to run to Whole Foods tonight also and see if I can pick up some Calendula ointment. I'll also ask my Ped tomorrow what she thinks of Neosporin and bacitracin. I have absolutely no medical knowledge on either but the warning label on the Neosporin alone is enough to be make me weary of putting it on my own skin. I'm trying to get back to a more all natural lifestyle; try to avoid chemicals and toxins whenever there is a safer, more natural, but effective alternative.

Thanks again everyone !!