PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Party Entertainment Ideas??

annasmom
05-07-2006, 06:32 AM
This is our first "friends" birthday party and I am pretty clueless. In the past we have gotten away with family and a cake, but not anymore! Anna didn't really "get" her second birthday, but ever since then, she has been counting down the days. So, I am a novice at throwing these types of parties, and we have only been to a few ourselves.

I need to plan this party now because her birthday is one of the last weekend of the Summer and therefore a very busy time for most families, and I am having my baby 2 weeks later. I would appreciate any general advice!

Anway, my dh REALLY wants to get a pony. This is fine by me, but do you think it is overkill for a party of maybe 10 kids?? I have heard that clowns, or animal presenters have been big hits, does anyone have any experience? Any other ideas for some sort of entertainment?? I would love to have as party where the kids just run around and have fun, but it is going to be VERY hot, and I am going to be very pregnant, so I think some sort of entertainment or activity is required.

Thanks so much, I know this is a bit rambling!

wendmatt
05-07-2006, 08:07 AM
We just took DD to a childrens fair yesterday and she had her first pony ride. She loved it. Another idea is to rent a bounce house. Kids love them if you have the room and keep them entertained for ages. Saves having to worry about doing lots of games (they are still a bit young for most party games). They can all do it at once rather than waiting for a turn on a pony too!

jamsmu
05-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Eileen, I was in a similar situation last year. DS2 was due on the 27th of August and DS1's party was the 21st. It was HOT! I course, DS is a boy, but we had the party at the local fire station. It was free--they ask for a donation of your choice. We got pizzas and cake and let the kids play on the firetrucks. I also painted cheap cardboard picture frames and gave out stickers for the kids to decorate. We took digital photos of all the kids and printed them there so that they could take them home as favors. The girls loved the party just as much as the boys and because it was in the garage, it wasn't as hot as being in the hot sun. The fire people said they do parties all the time. They love doing them because it helps the kids feel more comfortable. One of the things they had for the kids was child-sized firefighter's clothing for them to try on. Apparently, as the kids get older, they do more of an activity with them as well--all for however much you want to donate.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/jamsmu/100_1354.jpg http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/jamsmu/100_1351.jpg

Anyway, I've posted this before, so if you do a search, you'll probably find it.

A friend of our's did a pony party last year for #2. The pony showed up 2 hours late--basically when the party was ending. The kids each rode once or twice--and most loved it. We've talked of the idea, but the heat terrifies me in August.

Not sure what we're doing this year.

cbm
05-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Great idea, Julie. I need to keep it in mind for the future since the closest fire station is less than a mile from my house.
Loved the photos :-). He is too cute in that suit!

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

jenmcadams
05-07-2006, 11:23 AM
When my DD turned 3 she had a similar obsession with birthday parties so I couldn't get away with only family, but with a 2 month old and the crazy hot weather in SW FL, I was looking for somewhere else to hold our party. We ended up holding it at our local Learning Express toy store. They provided drinks/pizza (I had to bring the cake and goodie bags) and then everything else was organized and provided by them. They had two workers do an age appropriate craft (most attendees were b/t 2-4 years old), they had a small bounce house and they had a train table, doll house etc. set up in the store. It was only $11/person which (given we only had 8 eight kids) was much cheaper than the My Gym type options we had available. They provided set-up, paper products, clean-up and kept everyone entertained. For me, I couldn't have handled a large crowd at our mini-house so it worked well.

The bounce house was a huge hit and is something you could consider renting or even buying (some friends bought one at Toys r Us on sale for $150 which isn't much more than renting it).

Good luck!

jayali
05-07-2006, 11:48 AM
We had a big party for DS first birthday. We hired a magician that also did balloon animals and a face painter and we had a pinata. We decided not to do the pony thing because we were afraid of the chaos waiting for the ride and quite honestly the thought of pony poop in my backyard was too much for me to handle. I have a hard enough time picking up after the dog. The kids were really looking forward to the entertainment, but the magician's guinea pig had heatstroke and he was an emotional wreck so he had to leave before performing to take it to the hospital. Sadly the guinea pig didn't make it. The pinata would have been a hit, but being a first time mother I didn't know that you had to fill them so - empty pinata - a big bust. Both catastrophies provided much entertainment for the adults and of course I am NEVER goint to live either down. Luckily we had lots of outdoor games (at least double of each) and the kids had a ball. I think that as long as you have other kids around they basically entertain themselves. I still really LOVE the magician idea and will probably hire him if doing another party.

Anyway - I realize it will be hot so what about a sprinkler party. We are thinking about having one in August (no more big birthday parties for DS his birthday is in May). We have lots of nieces and nephews and thought it would be fun to turn on the sprinkler and let the kids run wild. I am going to get them all their own beach towels as little gift and buckets with shovels. We have a sand and water table so I figure they could use the shovels to dig.

Julie, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your idea of the firehouse. The pictures were awesome. Your little firefighter is a doll. I will keep that one tucked away in case DS asks for a third birthday party.

Good luck with the party - and the baby!!

fortato
05-07-2006, 06:05 PM
I went to a party recently where the family hired a local musician that does children's music (I'm in NH). It was great! He has a CD out too and I bought one, even though my baby isn't here yet...
I have no idea how much they spent though.

Another thing I saw was at a Bar Mitzvah- and I would do it for an older child's party, but I love this idea- they hired caricature (sp?) artists from this company that specializes in parties and entertainment. It was really cool, they did pictures of the kids, and anyone else that wanted them. We have a picture of my husband and I with him holding my belly with an arrow pointing to it saying "bun in the oven". It's a great thing to have instead of a favor or a goodie bag.

Also- look into Princess parties or Princess Tea's. Those seem to go over well here!

Good luck
Kristen

annasmom
05-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Julie, I LOVE the firestation idea, unfortunately we were just invited to a firestation birthday party for June! I got the invitation, and immediately thought to myself, that is one smart mom! I know Anna will have a blast, I am just upset I didn't think of it first! I am definitely going to try to do that at some point for Kieran, or our new baby.

jesseandgrace
05-07-2006, 06:58 PM
My dd is turning 3 in June and we are going to a paint your own pottery studio. There will be about 20 kids between 3 and 5, they will each paint something, have face painting, play games and have music, and then we will have pizza and cake. I would have thought 3 was too young for this, but dd starting going at 2 and it has always been really fun for her, so we went for it. The place near us has a really beautiful party room, I'm not sure if many of these places have something like that, but having a different room would be important or it might get too hectic.

I've only done the family party so far, so this seems like something totally different, I was telling dh I haven't planned a party away from my house since our wedding, but there is so much less to do I kind of like it, and best of all no need to clean the house, LOL.

Good luck with your party!

lmintzer
05-07-2006, 08:47 PM
For "friends" parties, we've done a Children's Museum (Jack-age 3) and the aquarium (Jack - age 5). We had home parties for both boys' 1st birthdays as well as 2nd birthdays. Jack's 4th was at my dad's house as we had just moved. Other parties we have been to have been at a climbing gym and a nature/conservation center. All were really fun!

For Joshua's 3rd next year, we may have his music class teacher come to the house and do music/songs with the kids.

missliss55
05-07-2006, 08:57 PM
We just did my DD's 3rd birthday at the gym where she does gymnastics. It is a local place and we all had a blast. We were allowed to bring any food or decorations we wanted. The kids were able to play and then stop for snacks and lunch.