PDA

View Full Version : Final Update ---STRESSED - 6 weeks and need progesterone supplement

hellokitty1
05-08-2006, 02:58 PM
All- Just wanted to share that I got bad news on my visit this past Monday. The heartbeat was no longer there and I miscarried. I had the D&C Tuesday and I'll be back if for a follow-up on 5/31 to also see if they found anything unusual. The OB is going to perform some chromosome study.

I was very distraught but it is what it is and I have to move on and keep trying. Thanks for everyone's prayers and well wishes.

Hi Ladies - could use your prayers and also advice. I have finally conceived after waiting 6 months after a partial molar pregnancy and TTC for another six months. Went for an earlier than usual visit last week at 6 weeks and doc ordered a progesterone test based on previous history. He also noted that the egg sac looked good but looked about a week behind and he could not detect a heart beat but thought it might be too early. So test results are in and he wants me on progesterone supplements as the "level was not where it should be." The nurse assured me this is not uncommon but I need some BBB mamas to set me at ease. Nurse said I would be on this for ten weeks so we're not really out of the woods during this time which of course has me stressed out.

ETA:
Thanks everyone for the super well wishes and sharing of experiences and advice. I have decided (and DH agrees) that there will be no Googling of the words "progesterone," "pregnancy" etc. Now that everyone has shared their situations, it does feelless uncommon and give the experiences with late ovulation, it totally explains my low progesterone, the expected vs.a ctual sice on the ultrasound, etc.

Thanks everyone. You really know how ot make a girl feel good!

annasmom
05-08-2006, 03:09 PM
I have no btdt advice or experience, but just wanted to send you BIG (((HUGS))) and many prayers.

nofeea
05-08-2006, 03:21 PM
When I was pregnant with me first DD my doctor said the same thing about my progesterone levels and also put me on supplements. I was a basket case- particularly after reading that if your level drops it indicates a 'problem' and it may be too late for supplements to work. Bottom line- I took the supplements (suppositories) and now have a beautiful, healthy 3 1/2 year old girl.
Listen to your doc, don't do too much 'research' and try to relax and enjoy being pregnant.
As for a heartbeat- during my last pregnancy the heartbeat couldn't be a found at 6 weeks either...but a week later it was beating steadily :)

Good luck!

buddyleebaby
05-08-2006, 03:23 PM
No advice, but I just wanted to let you know that I will be thinking of you and saying a little prayer that everything is ok.

trumansmom
05-08-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm a firm believer I wouldn't have Eleanor without progesterone supplements.

(((Hugs))) This must be such a hard time for you. I'm sending all kinds of sticky thoughts your way.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

o_mom
05-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Ok, BTDT with two healthy babes. :-)

Were you charting? Do you know if you ovulated late? That would explain the lack of heartbeat. I had that with DS1 because the nurse would not believe me that I ovulated on like day 23 and insisted that I come in at 6 wks LMP, which of course was only like 4 wks so no heartbeat. Started progesterone vaginally because of a borderline low result and saw a heartbeat 2 weeks later.

DS2 we had no idea how far along I was and my progesterone was 3 (20+ is normal) when they tested - started oral supplements and everything was fine from there on.

The progesterone supplements made my morning sickness worse, but other than that I didn't have any effects. You will need them until the placenta develops and starts producing progesterone on its own. With DS1 I had about 4 early ultrasounds, so as soon as they saw the placenta was developed I could stop. With DS2 they just had me go to 12 wks to be sure.

TaChapm
05-08-2006, 03:31 PM
I have 2 beautiful children and another one on the way thanks to progesterone supplements. With Jackson we did IVF so I was on it already but with this baby and with Tyler my levels were extremely low and I was told to not get my hopes up because the levels were so low. It worked like a charm! :) The levels will usually rise really fast once you start the supplements but be sure your OB checks them in 2-3 days. I had to increase my dose once because my levels weren't rising fast enough. It is something you want to stay on top of.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
OMG!!! It's a GIRL!! Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/kLMem8.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

Expecting-girl
05-08-2006, 03:49 PM
I firmly believe my beautiful 9 month old DD would not be here if not for progestrone supplements. I know it's hard, but try not to worry. Don't drive yourself crazy by looking up all the info on the internet either! Prayers going out to you.

hellokitty1
05-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Was I "charting"? As in couting every day, every hour? :-) Heck Yeah! And now that I think of it, I ovulated really late, to the point I thought I had missed it. In fact, looking back I think it took this long bc i figured I had started testing too late and stopped testing to see when I was ovulating when in fact I probably had not even started.

Thanks for that tidbit. That would explain why things seem about a week behind.

tarabenet
05-08-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm on vaginal progesterone right now, and we haven't even gotten a BFP yet! It is an insurance policy, in a way, as I have no history one way or the other to indicate a yes/no on needing it. My RE prescribed it following a Follistim and double IUI cycle.

I really urge you to use the progesterone (in whatever form your doc prescribed) and don't worry over this. Your doc is just looking out for you and your baby. And whatever you do, if you do start it, don't stop using it until the doc tells you to. I know that part is very serious.

amp
05-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Vivian, first, congratulations! I know how hard it was for you to wait that molar pregnancy out and wait to conceive and I'm thrilled for you! I will pray that this pregnancy goes to term and that you are holding a healthy baby in several months.

That said, I had to have progesterone supplements w/ Kate. That was following my mc. I had no idea I would have had low progesterone, as I hadn't ever had any problems of any sort with my pg w/ Jake. But I was scared to death after that mc, so I had bloodwork done to put my mind at ease and my progesterone came back low. It wasn't drastically low, but they put me on supplements until 12 wks. I was terrified after doing some research. But, in the end, as you know, I had a healthy baby girl.

I know lots of mamas here have had to have supplements. I know it's next to impossible not to do so, but try not to let your mind wander to all the "what if's". Hugs and prayers coming your way! Please keep me posted. I have a new email address, so don't use the old one. Hopefully when I changed it here it actually "took" and you can get me email that way.

trumansmom
05-08-2006, 04:47 PM
And, FWIW, late ovulation is a big indicator for progesterone.

And I thought getting pregnant was supposed to be fun!! :P

Jeanne

Momof3Labs
05-08-2006, 04:50 PM
I was on progesterone for both boys - DS1 until 10w and DS2 until 6-7w. They should retest your levels in a few days; if they are then fine, please don't worry about it any longer - the reason they keep you on for 10-12 weeks is because that's when the placenta takes over producing progesterone. You can't OD on progesterone so they go ahead and keep women on it just in case.

Also, if you ovulated late, you aren't really 6w along. You are 2 weeks + however many weeks since you ovulated. Though even 6w can be early to see a h/b, especially if the equipment is older or the tech isn't top notch; 5w is definitely too early to see the h/b. And anything +/- 5 days on the measurements is considered normal - though I'm sure many of us can tell stories where the measurements were farther off and the babies were fine!

mommyoftwo
05-08-2006, 05:19 PM
Definitely BTDT. With Amelia, I was bleeding and my levels were so low (low single digits) that I was told to expect a MC. They put me on the maximum dose they could and I stopped bleeding within a day or so. I asked if I needed to have further blood work done and was told there was no reason because they could not give me any more progesterone than I was already on. It was very scary, but we made it. My levels were not quite as low with Linnea but not good and due to my past history I was put on supplements as soon as I got pregnant. I didn't have to take them quite as long that time though which was nice. I was really nervous with Amelia the whole time but things were fine. Don't panic too much about the heart beat. It's probably too early to see it especially if you ovulated late. FWIW, with Amelia, her heart rate was half of the rate it should have been on the first early sono but she had no problems whatsoever. It did make me nervous though. The progesterone made my nausea worse, but I also had hyperemesis so I was pretty bad off already. I know that without progesterone I would have my too beautiful girls. Fortunately, they can give progesterone until your body can take over making enough on it's own.

chlobo
05-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Wow, I'm in the total minority here. My OB told me progesterone supplements don't help. Can someone point me to research to the contrary?

Momof3Labs
05-08-2006, 06:39 PM
nak

they only help if your progesterone is low to begin with. if your progesterone is normal, having a higher progesterone level won't help prevent a m/c.

trumansmom
05-08-2006, 06:57 PM
It's somewhat controversial. Many docs feel it doesn't do anything, but many do.

Jeanne

BaileyBea
05-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Congratulations on your pregnancy! Big ((HUG)), relax. I took progesterone until I was 14 weeks w/DS. It's a good thing to take and monitor especially when your body doesn't produce enough naturally.

I had a m/c before DS due to low progesterone and the head Nurse at my OB/GYN's office told me that from her many years of experience she learned that taking progesterone does help ensure that the pregnancy is successful. I really felt it helped me have a successful pregnancy.

Don't stress out. Stress is bad for the baby. Just relax as much as you can and take the progesterone and monitor your bloodwork every few days. If the sac isn't as far along as your Dr. would like right now, don't worry too much about it just yet. Sometimes the actual date of conception is a big guessing game and those first few weeks the baby develops and changes quickly.

Sending you lots of prayers and comforting thoughts,

tina-t
05-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Congratulations Vivian!

I was also on progesterone during the first trimester with ds and also with my second pg (for the first trimester also). I've had 2 m/c's (without taking the progesterone) before and I think the progesterone just helped the pg's when I did take these. Good luck!

JulieL
05-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Vivian I'm sssssooooooooo sorry. HUGS, I hope that you get lots of support through this hard time.

JBaxter
05-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Vivian Im sorry to hear :( hugs to you.

ett
05-19-2006, 02:51 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. Big hugs to you.

jayali
05-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Vivian,

So sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you. Please take time to grieve and heal yourself.

Big Hugs

juliasmom05
05-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Vivian

((((HUGS))) I am so so sorry.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

mamato1
05-19-2006, 03:06 PM
I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. Take care of yourself during this sad time.

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

brittone2
05-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Oh Vivian, words can't express how sorry I am.

((((HUGS)))).

Please know you and your family are in my thoughts.

tarabenet
05-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Oh, Vivian, I'm very sorry. Condolences to you and your family on your loss.

annasmom
05-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Oh Vivian, I am so so sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Please be kind to yourself.

TaChapm
05-19-2006, 03:23 PM
I am so sorry! Huge to you! You and your family are in my thoughts.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
OMG!!! It's a GIRL!! Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/kLMem8.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

Rachels
05-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Vivian, I'm so sorry. Take your time grieving and be gentle with yourself as you heal.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

boys2enough
05-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Vivian,

I am so sorry to hear your loss and what you have been through. {{{hugs}}}

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/otn/pcomputer.gif

egoldber
05-19-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss.

bcky2
im so sorry that you are going thru this. big (((hugs))) to you.

tina-t
Vivian, I am so sorry for your loss.

hez
05-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Vivian, I am SO sorry to hear this.

Sending many, many hugs. I'm a shoulder if you need one. Sending healing thoughts to you.

JacksMommy
05-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Oh Vivian, I'm sorry for your bad news. I had a m/c over the holidays and it is not easy.

I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

mommyoftwo
05-19-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss.

alexsmommy
05-19-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

lisams
05-19-2006, 04:55 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.

jd11365
05-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Vivian, I'm so sorry.

octmom
05-19-2006, 06:19 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss, Vivian.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

thomma
05-19-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Kim
t&e 5/03

wencit
05-19-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm so terribly sorry to hear about this. I do hope your OB can find some answers for you.

Take care.

bostonsmama
05-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Oh, bless your heart. I'm so sorry for this loss of yours. Please PM me if you ever need to vent or talk.

Larissa

My-oh-my, we're doing it in July!

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my brother and SIL on 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

Corie
05-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Vivian,

I am so sorry for your loss! You are in my thoughts.

trumansmom
05-19-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm so sorry.

(((Hugs)))

Jeanne

Lovingliv
05-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Sending you thoughts,,,and hugs....

new_mommy25
05-19-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm sorry for you loss, Vivian.

ribbit1019
05-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Lots and lots of hugs Vivian. I'm so sorry.

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
& Jarred 3/8/06, 14 lb 24 1/2" @ 10 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

pixelprincess
05-20-2006, 01:09 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Many hugs.

darby24
05-20-2006, 01:11 AM
I'm sorry for your loss.

HannaAddict
05-20-2006, 01:17 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Please take care.

Kimberly

Eloise36
05-20-2006, 02:19 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and heart are with you. Please take care of yourself.

BaileyBea
05-20-2006, 10:58 AM
I am sorry for your loss and sad to hear your news. Take care.

wendmatt
05-20-2006, 11:07 AM
So sorry for your loss Vivian.

eb1
05-20-2006, 07:20 PM
I am so, so sorry for your loss.

MamaKath
05-20-2006, 11:57 PM
((((Vivian)))) I have no words that will soothe your loss, but please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please feel free to pm me if you need to "talk", I understand the deep loss of mc too well.

buddyleebaby
05-21-2006, 12:54 AM
I am very sorry for your loss.
Huge hugs.