PDA

View Full Version : Is there a natural way to deter BEES?!

pampamz
05-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Our favorite backyard hangout spot seems to also attract the occasional bee (must be the nearby garden?). Anyways, DS is freaking out every time he sees one or hears a buzz (I do too, I'm not going to lie).
Does anyone know of something I can do to make it less inviting to the bees? Something...? Anything...?
TIA!

momma_boo
05-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I don't know if this really works or not, but my kids' home daycare provider uses bounce dryer sheets - regular scented.
She claims that bees don't like the smell and it deters them (but do bees really have the ability to "smell"?). It's funny, last summer, she had the dryer sheets all over her patio.

pampamz
05-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Hhhmm -- that sounds promising. I wonder if I could throw some sheets in a water bottle and spray around where we play. Will probably kill all the plants and grass... :)
Thanks -- I'm going to try it this afternoon!
Pam

jayali
05-09-2006, 07:05 PM
I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but, whenever we do an outdoor party we put plastic bowls of cherries or grapes around the perimeter of the yard. The bees are attracted and hang in the bowl. We then spray with wasp and hornet spray once everyone is gone and walla - dead bees. So it really doesn't deter them from your sight, it just re-directs them.

Tondi G
05-09-2006, 11:20 PM
I can't remember what someone mentioned once before.... it was maybe vanilla extract in a bowl of water or something like that.... lemme ask on my other board!

~Tondi