PDA

View Full Version : How long did you walk around dilated?

mcdonald29
05-09-2006, 11:06 PM
At my 36 week appt yesterday we discovered that I am already 2-3 cm dilated, 50% effaced. OB predicted Baby would be here in about 2 weeks. I didn't think I'd been having any contractions, but now with the power of suggestion it feels like things might be happening.

I know all of this is purely speculation, every body and pregnancy is different, but what are other people's experiences with this? Is 2-3 cm any big deal yet?

This news surprised me b/c DS stayed put pretty well (maybe 1 cm dilation depite our best efforts to induce labor using all the old wive's tales) until I was induced the day before my due date. OB suggested things might be different this time around b/c he was breech until 38 weeks, and with this one the head and its resulting pressure, etc. are in the right place.

megs4413
05-09-2006, 11:10 PM
I was 2 cm dilated at my 36 week appointment as well and I think 80% effaced. As your OB suggested by daughter was born almost exactly two weeks later. I didn't feel any contractions either. I ended up losing my *TMI* mucus plug after the vaginal exam he did over a period of three days. The baby was born a week after that. My water broke at exactly 38 weeks. It really does help when they law low and keep their head down! I hope things get moving for you in the next couple weeks!

asha
05-09-2006, 11:58 PM
At 36 weeks I was 4-5 cms dilated, about 80% effaced. I walked around like this for 3 more weeks.

Even when I did go into labor, we went to the hospital because I started bleeding in the middle of the night. Only mild contractions. The hospital is 20 mins away from home. By the time we reached the hospital, I was in severe pain and completely dilated and effaced. Half an hour later, DS was born.

If it was during the day and traffic was bad, the doctors were joking that I might have delivered in my car.

I have heard that labor is easier the second time around. If that is true, I might be in trouble.

lizajane
05-10-2006, 05:14 AM
sorry to say that i was dialted for 5 weeks with dylan. it was a very loooooooong 5 weeks. (he was 8 days late.)

schuyler was more kind to me. he came 8 days early after 2 weeks of being dialated.

brittone2
05-10-2006, 06:47 AM
My shower was about 3-4 weeks before my EDD and everyone said I hadn't "dropped" yet, etc. etc so I had a while. Even ladies in the grocery store felt the need to tell me I had a while to go because the baby wasn't low yet. I laughingly mentioned it to my midwife at an appt a few days later, she checked me and I was more than 50% effaced and 2 cm dilated!

A few days later I started having crazy contractions that went off/on for almost 2 weeks. Then things actually calmed down quite a bit contraction wise. I had another appt about 10 days before my EDD and I was 3cm and 75% effaced. I went into labor (starting w/ my water breaking) 3 days later.

The midwives had me come into the hospital within an hour of my water breaking because I was pretty effaced/dilated already. That surprised me as I had planned on laboring at home for quite some time.

I ended up w/ a 6hr 20 minute labor (DS was my first). I think being dilated a bit beforehand was a nice head start.

I don't think you can predict that much based on how dilated you are. My midwives kind of told me it could mean labor would start any day, or it could still be weeks away. But...at the very least, be happy that your body is doing some work in the meantime that will hopefully shorten the whole thing up for you :)

pb&j
05-10-2006, 06:59 AM
I was 2cm dilated at the first internal - maybe 35/36 weeks? DS was induced at 38w4d, and I was 3-4cm when I was admitted to the hospital, with no contractions stronger than Braxton-Hicks.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

farleygirl
05-10-2006, 07:06 AM
I was 2 cm dilated at 34 weeks and put on partial bedrest for 2 weeks. Baby didn't come until 2 days before due date! Upside was, I had a VERY quick labor, 2 hours from first contraction to the end. Good luck!

LucyG
05-10-2006, 07:48 AM
I was 2-3 cm dilated and 80% effaced from 35 weeks on. I was also at zero station, so the baby was very low. I delivered at 38 weeks 5 days after a 3 hour labor.

DD #1 (2/03)
DD #2 (3/06)

pampamz
05-10-2006, 08:03 AM
With DS, I was 2-3cm at 36 weeks and went 5 days overdue, finally induced and it took me about 7 hrs to fully dilate!!!!
On the other hand with DD I was hardly dilated at all up to my 40th week and once the membranes burst I fully dilated and delivered within 3 hours.
You just never can tell which way it will go!

newmomto3kids
05-10-2006, 09:58 AM
nak
(ETA: This was my third.) I was 5cm at my 37wk appt. I was induced at 39 weeks because of a history of short labors and being GBS+. At admission, I was 6cm. I delivered in about 2 hours.
With my first, I was 1cm at 32 weeks, and induced at 3cm at 39 weeks, had a 5 hour labor. With my second, I was induced at 4cm at 39 weeks and had a 2.5 hour labor.
Good luck to you!!

missliss55
05-10-2006, 11:31 AM
With my 2nd DD I was:

4-5cm at 36 weeks
5 cm at 37 weeks
6 cm at 38 weeks
7 cm at 39 weeks (8cm after she stripped my membranes at my appt.)

I was feeling no contractions.

At 39 weeks they admitted me to the hospital b/c they were afraid I wouldn't make it to the hospital in time. They broke my water and 50 min. later Kate was born.

edited to make correction

daniele_ut
05-10-2006, 12:05 PM
I'll be the different one. I was 4.5cm dilated at my 36 week appointment and I went into labor that night! Doc did say I could walk around that way for weeks, but he was obviously wrong.

calebsmama03
05-10-2006, 02:21 PM
At 37 weeks I was 5-6cm and 90% effaced. I stayed pregnant for another 3 weeks!!! But when she finally came labor was less than an hour ;) My MW said dilation isn't methodical - you can be 5 cm and not go into labor (like me) or you can be closed and go into labor that day.
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

brittone2
05-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Wowza!!! Walking around at 7 cm!!??

I know it is possible but that is impressive!

missliss55
05-10-2006, 03:12 PM
I know I couldn't believe it either. My friends joke that I am a freak of nature.

With my first DD I thought I was going to die at 3 cm.

Tori_s mom
05-10-2006, 03:13 PM
I went 5 weeks dilated. Four of those at 3 cm. The last week I made it to 4 cm with some membrane stripping. I finally went into labor at 41 weeks. I was admitted at 6 cm. Good luck!!! BTW it was a first baby if that makes any diff.

aa2mama
05-10-2006, 06:27 PM
I was 2 cm dialated at 34 weeks and delivered at 37weeks, 6 days.

Lovingliv
05-10-2006, 07:01 PM
I was 2 cm dilated for 2 weeks and I delivered 8 days late!

KrisM
05-10-2006, 07:07 PM
I've never been checked, myself, but my SIL was 0 cm and 0% effaced at her 34 week appointment and my nephew was born less than 24 hours later. Just never know, I guess!

daisymommy
05-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Huh-huh. I walked around at 4-5 cm. and 80% effaced for a month with both Hannah and Joshua. It finally took pitocin with Josh and breaking my water with Hannah to finally get labor going.

ykc
05-10-2006, 08:07 PM
With #2, I was probably 5cm dilated around 39wks. Induced at 40wks. OB broke my water and everyone thought I'd just start contracting. No go. Apparently, my uterus doesn't like to contract without pitocin. With pitocin on board, he was born in about 3hrs.

With #1, I was induced at 41 3/7 wks since there were no signs of any kind of true labour activity, even after prostaglandin gel, and I'm pretty sure my cervix was long and closed when I went in for induction. She was born within 12 hrs though.

We'll see with #3.... I'm having more Braxton-Hicks contractions than I did with the other two. I hope I make it to 39+wks (though I'm desperate to be done with pregnancy!) or else my work and childcare plans are all going to pot!

Good luck to you!