PDA

View Full Version : stomach flu/gastroenteritis/rotovirus HELP!!???

bubbaray
05-10-2006, 01:04 AM
DD started vomitting Sunday night, about 8pm. Then mild diahreah (can't spell, too tired to look up) Monday morning, about 8am. She is doing better (its now early Wednesday morning).

DH started diahreah Tuesday about dinner time, vomitting about 10pm.

Please, can someone tell me -- can healthy adults get rotovirus? Or is this a regular GE thingy?? I suppose it could be food poisoning.

I also thought I had food poisoning 2 weeks ago, but now I"m wondering if I had this "bug" and it just took a while for DD and DH to get it. Is that possible? I'd kinda like to know b/c if I"ve already had it, hopefully at least I won't get it this time. I really need to go into the office tomorrow, plus if all 3 of us are sick, there's no one to look after us! We have no family around and I just can't imagine asking friends to help with something like this.

HELP!
Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

lizajane
05-10-2006, 05:13 AM
sorry to be the bearer of bad news. it sounds like rotovirus. she will seem fine and then suddenly vomit again. and the poop lasts several days or more.

yes, adults get it. and no, you can't avoid it if you have already had it. and yes, it is HIGHLY contagious.

schuyler got it wed. i got it fri. dylan got it sat. daddy got it sun. schuyler and dylan got it AGAIN on mon. there was no vomiting last night, but we have yet to see what the poop situation is today.

sorry. so very very sorry. it has been a rather horrifying week here.

bubbaray
05-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Well, thanks. Sorry that we're both going through this. I'm going to pray that I already had it 2 weeks ago -- support me in my delusion, because that's the only thing that's going to get me through my day.

Sigh.

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

psophia17
05-10-2006, 08:12 AM
If it makes you feel any better, there is something else going around...

Neither DS nor DH are much for vomiting, but they were both off their feed a couple of weeks back (DS was 3 or so days before DH), and DH did spend one day praying to the porcelain gods. After that, we had days of on and off messy BMs for DS, and DH suffered for another 4-5 days before he started to really get better. DS caught it from either BIL or DH's cousin, both of whom we saw a lot of the week prior to DS getting sick, and both of whom got sick after we saw them, but before DS.

Somehow, and I don't know how, I didn't catch the bug, and since I'm traditionally the one with the weak stomach, I thank my lucky stars about that. While it could've been rotovirus, it also could've been something else.

bubbaray
05-10-2006, 08:31 AM
You are in the Lower Mainland, right?

I felt sick last night, but I'm pretty sure that it was from cleaning up DH's mess. I too am usually the first one in this house to catch anything stomach related. Maybe this IS a GI thing& not roto.

Crossing my fingers that I either already had it or don't get it this time!!

Mom's should get a free "get out of puking" card!

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

psophia17
05-10-2006, 08:40 AM
You got it - Lower Mainland. Are you nearby?

I got out of puking, but I couldn't eat for a week. Being pg and super-sensitive to strong smells, let's just say I spent a lot of time getting some air...

pampamz
05-10-2006, 08:49 AM
My family were all sick last week -- started w/:
DS who had fever, diarrhea (lasted about 2 days), then
DD had fever, vomitting, diarrhea (lasted 5 days), and then
DH had fever, chills & sweats, diarrhea (lasted 3 days).
THANKFULLY I have been totally fine, of course -- somebody needed to man the bathroom and do diaper patrol!
Just heard my FIL had the same as my husband towards the end of the week, and we were over for a visit the day DS first started to have a "sore tummy".
We're up in Canananada so don't think it's related to you guys, but it is very interesting how so many are having GI issues, eh?

psophia17
05-10-2006, 08:53 AM
That sounds exactly like what we had going on here...stinkity-stank is all I can say.

Keep washing your hands, and then wash them again. I am fairly sure that's what saved me from getting sick.

Another interesting tidbit - MIL didn't catch it, and she's about as anal about hygiene and cleanliness as anyone I've ever met...

nathansmom
05-10-2006, 08:55 AM
My boys have had rotavirus 3 times in the last year. The first time 2 ended up in the hospital, the second time one was there and the third time I dealt with it at home.

I never caught it although my husband did. It's horrible and not fun.

mamato1
05-10-2006, 09:50 AM
No experience here, but I will support you in whatever delusions you would like to have :) Hang in there mama!
Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

lizajane
05-10-2006, 11:30 AM
because stupid men don't believe in hand washing...

ok, sorry. maybe your DH isn't stupid! and mine isn't either, but for some reason, he just doesn't seem to get it. he will wash his hands after changing a diaper or cleaning up puke, etc. and he will lysol the toilet. but he has the lassiez-faire "if i am gonna get it, i am gonna get it" attitude that makes me NUTS.

lizajane
05-10-2006, 11:31 AM
i tend to be delusional for most of the hours of the day. i will support you. ;)

bubbaray
05-10-2006, 06:27 PM
I left work a couple hours early today with a killer headache. Not sure if that is the first "sign" or if it is "just" from lack of sleep and complete exhaustion.

DD is doing much better. Not sure if she will go to DC tomorrow or not. She is begging to go, but I don't want the cycle to start over there. One of the other girls (almost 4) has it (got it today), so I doubt its rotovirus (apparently, most kids have had it by age 3).

DH is better, but still whining.

Guess we are in good company -- EVERYONE I talk to here has either had it or knows someone who has had it. I'm really hoping that what I had 2 weeks ago was the first "wave". I do NOT have time to get sick! :(

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

bubbaray
05-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Ugh. Called the nurse line this morning b/c Maya was ghostly pale and quite listless upon waking. They said that she likely had moderate dehydration and to take her in, not to wait to see the dr. So, in morning rush hour, we haul Maya into Children's ER.

The nurse at the ER pushed for us to try pedialyte again. I wasn't too happy as I had given up on getting Maya to drink that, but OF COURSE, Maya drank it there. Stinker. Anyway, after about an hour of 5ml every 5 min, she perked up. They discharged her, saying to continue with the pedialyte and that this could last a week.

There is definitely a bug going around, there were signs there (dated March 28, so its been around for a while) telling parents about it. And, the dr thinks I had it first (whew, so hopefully I won't get it again).

While we were there, we saw a 2 yr old admitted asap for breathing problems (and his dad didn't think it was an emergency, the triage nurse was NOT impressed), a 5 month old come in via ambulance with burn to shoulders, back and legs. The parents were quite distraught, I am guessing that it might have been spilled coffee or something. And a 7 day old very tiny baby that was also immediately admitted with a dr's note (not sure what) -- that baby did NOT look well at all. Children's is the provincial pediatrics hospital and frankly, even though Maya is "sick", we were counting our blessings.... Very sad.

ETA: The dr thinks (without a stool sample mind you) that it is rotovirus, because that is what has been going around. AND, yes, adults can still get roto.

Melissa

Maya Papaya!

randomkid
05-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Sorry to hear your sweet little DD is sick. We went through a similar situation here a few weeks ago. DD had it first and I didn't get it until almost 2 weeks later. I thought I was in the clear, then got horribly sick when DH and my parents were out of town and SIL was at work! You probably had it first, but that doesn't mean you can't get it again.

My parents actually had DD when she started vomiting. They immediately cleaned with bleach water, changed her clothes and washed her up, and were diligent with hand washing. Neither of them got it. I think I got it because DD vomited in the middle of the night and a little splashed into my face - ick!

Just wash your hands consistently and clean everything with bleach water. I cleaned everything I touched with bleach water before DH came home and he didn't get sick. You might also invest in gloves for diaper changes. You can get them in the pharmacy dept. I would also use disposable changing pads or clean the diaper changing area with disinfectant right after diapee changes. I also cleaned all of DD's toys so we wouldn't keep spreading it around.

All the cleaning is the pits, but much better than being sick again!

Good Luck,