PDA

View Full Version : Perils of teaching DC correct anatomical terms

hez
05-10-2006, 05:42 AM
We use proper terms at home for body parts. I don't have a real reason for it, other than a personal preference.

HOWEVER, it got me this weekend. We went to test drive minivans, so dragged along the 2nd carseat to let Payton test drive them with us. While DH was installing the seat, Payton was bored so he was checking out his pockets and what have you on his new overalls.

I (being the dumb mom) asked Payton, "What are you playing with in your overalls?" Payton replied, "My p*****." Nice & loud, right in front of the salesman, who smiled. So I reminded Payton that I prefer he do that in his room or his bathroom and not in public, and we went on with the test drive.

D'oh.

JBaxter
05-10-2006, 05:50 AM
LOL -- I totally understand ( as the mom of 3 boys)

mudder17
05-10-2006, 06:47 AM
Oh, that's so funny! I'm just waiting to hear Kaya say she's playing with her v*****. She may not be a boy, but she has definitely discovered it recently and OUCH!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

annasmom
05-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Heather, something similar happened to my sil, she was at the dentists with my nephew and he kept on begging to go to the bathroom (I guess he was about 3 or 4). She kept putting him off, and he kept on bothering her. Finally, he screamed at the top of his lungs, "Mommy, I want to play with my p***s!!"

psophia17
05-10-2006, 07:43 AM
DS calls it his elephant...he named it himself :o

I suspect we're in for trouble.

ETA: Although DH wanted to tell him it was called a foo foo, I taught DS it was a penis. Is elephant a fair compromise, you figure?

mamato1
05-10-2006, 08:12 AM
My DH and I are in the midst of battling this at home. I use anatomical terms with DS always. My DH is less cautious. Because of this I now have a DS who will tell you, with a smile, that he has a plumpy. (DH's term for an erection) So far this has only occurred at home, but I am bracing myself for a situation like yours!!

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

pampamz
05-10-2006, 08:39 AM
That's hilarious -- one for the baby book :)
We also use the correct terms for DS...now, for when DD learns to talk I'm not so sure. I just don't know if I (or esp. DH) can handle talk of v___na's.

psophia17
05-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Uh oh - I think you better get on the vagina talk. DS told me this morning that Mummy has a different penis. I corrected him, and now he's running around the house yelling that Mummy has a "nine-ya." We have errands to run this morning...let's hope he keeps this tid-bit to himself. :o

californiagirl
05-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Honestly, I think it's a peril of having DC at all -- it's not like most "incorrect" terms are actually incomprehensible or not embarassing when shouted by a small child with his hands down his pants...

I'm just waiting for DD to discover those words seriously. Fortunately so far she has confined her philosophical explorations of topics like "Everybody has earwax" and "Everybody poops" to the car.

mcdonald29
05-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Several years ago we were at an outdoor event and ran into DH's boss and his kids, who were admiring someone's puppy. One daughter, who was probably 4 or so, pointed and said repeatedly, very loudly, "Look at his penis, Daddy! The dog has a penis. It's his penis!" Obviously embarassed, her parents tried to explain that it was currently her favorite word. We still get a laugh out of it, but hopefully our amusement won't come back to haunt us...

thomma
05-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Ha! :) I can totally relate!
Ds has had several surgeries to his penis and recently went for his yearly urologist check up. As we were walking in dh mentioned going to the doctors to which ds replied "Go to doctors for my PENIS daddy!" Several people turned around to look. Dh was horrified! :)

Kim
t&e 5/03

Lovingliv
05-10-2006, 07:21 PM
What a great story Heather! I'm sure he will love to hear that when he is older!

hez
05-11-2006, 05:30 AM
Thanks for sharing your stories-- glad (?!) to know I'm not the only one :)