PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo floors anyone?

asha
05-10-2006, 11:32 AM
How do you like it? How would you rate it in comparison with hardwood floors? Does it stain/ scratch easily?

We are considering bamboo for our living room and hallway. Currently we have 48 year old oak floors. We love it, but it is highly stained in the middle of the room. (Thanks to previous owner's dogs). The floor is pretty thin and does not look like the stains will be removed by refinishing the hardwood.

We like the look of bamboo floors. ALso, love the fact that it is eco friendly. On top of that Costco has an amazing deal on bamboo (1.85$ per square foot).

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks in advance.

bunnisa
05-10-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't have them, but I'm interested, too, so I did a search on Gardenweb and came up with these results:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/search/nph-ind.cgi?term=bamboo&forum=flooring&forum_name=Flooring

This is a great website in general (they have many different forums, not just flooring), and the users tend to be quite knowledgable and helpful.

HTH!

Bethany
blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

jenmcadams
05-10-2006, 01:44 PM
We just moved into a house that has Bamboo floors in the kitchen/dining/formal living area. At first I was excited b/c I loved the look of the floor, but I'm pretty certain we'll be replacing it in a few years with something more durable. It scratches and dents VERY easily...such a bummer. Granted we have two young children and two large dogs, but I'm disappointed in how it wears. I know there are different types of bamboo and some is more durable, but overall I wouldn't recommend it. Finally, while I haven't done any research yet, I'm pretty sure bamboo can't be refinished.

tina-t
05-10-2006, 04:17 PM
We don't have it but a friend of ours do. They love their bamboo floors. She said that it is easy to maintain.

I eventually want to replace some areas of the house with the bamboo floors.

jrich1
05-10-2006, 07:10 PM
We have bamboo floors throughout most of our home. We have had them for over 3 years and we are very pleased with them. They can be refinished just like traditional wood. We have a 60 pound lab who does dent the floors with his claws, but the finish doesn't look scratched. You can really only see the marks in the right angle in the sun. I do think they dent easily, but the finish is very durable. Overall we would recommmend them.

Jessica