PDA

View Full Version : is this a really bad fashion faux-pas?

nfowife
05-11-2006, 12:57 PM
I have a formal dinner to go to tomorrow evening. I am planning on wearing a black cocktail dress and I have open-toe black heel sandals. Anyhow, I am planning to wear light/skin tone hose. Normally, I would buy the toeless kind but I don't really feel like making a mall run to be honest. I found some very very sheer hose that are about an exact skin tone match. Would it be totally horrible to just move the seam at the toes underneath so it isn't visible and wear them with my open-toe shoes? If so, I will get myself to the mall to buy the toeless hose. But I really don't feel like it :) !

newmomto3kids
05-11-2006, 01:00 PM
I am *so* not the person to comment on fashion, but I have had a similar situation. I think I snipped off the toes of the nylons and "sealed" them with clear nail polish. I am pretty sure I then proceeded to get drunk enough to remove said nylons and switch dresses with my sister in the ladies room, but...I digress.
I say, to heck with the mall ;)

chlobo
05-11-2006, 01:01 PM
They make toeless pantyhose?

nfowife
05-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Yes, I *heart* toeless pantyhose. They are made by hanes and have a little strap that goes between your toes like flip flops.

http://images.buy-here.com/ohp/042406/images/mview/15374_34676_h011805M.jpg

Marisa6826
05-11-2006, 01:08 PM
If I had a body and legs like that, I'm pretty damn sure I wouldn't be wearing pantyhose! :P

-m

daniele_ut
05-11-2006, 01:12 PM
I'd probably go ahead and do it, but my preference is definitely for the toeless. I hate my bare legs, but the very sheer toeless ones are awesome!

mudder17
05-11-2006, 01:12 PM
LOL!

I don't wear pantyhose, but it's because they're uncomfortable and I HATE getting runs in them all the time, so unless it's absolutely necessary, I either go barelegged or wear knee highs. That said, I DON'T have legs (or a body) like that! :P

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

nfowife
05-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I think I am going to make a mall run when DD wakes up. She'll get to play in the play area, at least. I must wear hose- my bare legs are just not pretty. Not that the sheer hose cover up much, but they make me feel better at least :) .

wendmatt
05-11-2006, 01:14 PM
I am by by no means a fashion expert, but I do not think open toe sandals should not be worn with hose on toes! Sorry not what you wanted to hear! Def cut off the toes and seal them with nail polish or go with bare legs.

lizamann
05-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Wow, I never knew such a thing existed. This could revolutionize my life.

octmom
05-11-2006, 02:39 PM
How cool are those?! I had no idea they existed. Wow.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

omgrown
05-11-2006, 02:48 PM
If you have to wear hose, go with no toes (that was a failed attempt at a cute rhyme, sorry)
Since you're heading to the mall anyway, maybe piick up a few pair so you won't have to worry again. Its just the beginning of the season anyway. I love all the new stocking/sock options with sandals out there now. Honestly, pantyhose with open toe shoes is one of my biggest pet peeves. That and too small sandals when women's toes hang over the front. Ick.

nfowife
05-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Just got back. Only thing that annoyed me was I couldn't find the hanes brand of the toeless (that I've used before and been happy with) in any of the dept. stores. Weird. So I got 2 pairs of the JC Penney store brand. Hopefully they'll be okay! I need to paint my toenails tonight too!

ett
05-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Wow! I've never even known there were toeless pantyhose. I'm definitely going to have to pick some up for myself.

daniele_ut
05-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Sorry you couldn't find the Hanes! I hope the ones you got were ok. I got my Hanes at Kohl's.

pampamz
05-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Have a great time -- I'm jealous of the formal dinner night out -- I'd be so excited I probably would have forgotten all things "fashion" (shaving my legs, not wearing a white cotton bra, doing my toes) never mind the stocking thing!
Enjoy!

dhano923
05-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Don't wear hose! Or wear closed toe shoes. Panty hose and sandals just don't go, even if manufacturers make toeless hose (which they make because people want them, not because it's fashionable).

Stacey from What Not To Wear hates this look -- in one episode she said that women should not wear pantyhose if they can't wear them appropriately (or something to that effect).

Edited: spelling errors

nfowife
05-12-2006, 11:07 AM
don't be jealous! It's a dinner for DH's work. It will not be very fun. I would much rather be at a regular restaurant :) .
I know Stacey would make fun of me, but I am not buying new shoes at this point (plus I have horrible foot problems and have a hard time finding shoes that fit me well). So, I guess for this one night I will just break the rules :).
By the way, what are panty shoes? Do you mean party shoes?

dhano923
05-14-2006, 07:25 AM
I meant panty hose, but my fingers type faster than my brain can send the signals. ;)