PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle recommendations

elliput
05-12-2006, 08:40 AM
I have been contemplating getting a new bicycle for myself and the recent threads regarding bicycle safety made me think I should ask here for some recommendations.

The last bicycle I had was a mountain bike I bought in 1990 or 1991, so I really don't know much about what is out there now. I would just like something for riding around the neighborhood and other paved areas with either a bike trailer or seat for DD. My days of off-road cycling are long over, and I seriously doubt I would ever get into racing so.... what exactly are my options?

Strains of Queen's "Bicycle Race" are now going round my head. ;-)

Jen841
05-12-2006, 09:19 AM
I have a Trek 'girl' mountain bike with a seat on it, but we have a trailer too. I love it! I got it 4 years ago?

bubbaray
05-12-2006, 09:45 AM
For what you describe, a "comfort/hybrid" bike would be excellent. Like a mountain bike, but with slightly higher handlebars and cushier shocks.

I got this one last year, after having a cross-country mtn bike for years.

http://www.norco.com/ts/pass/templates/bike_model.php?lang=en&loc=cp&sloc=ct&tabloc=1&id=citadel&col=champagne

DH is REALLY into mtn biking and road riding. I also looked at the Electra bikes, but it didn't seem like I could pull a bike trailer if I wanted/needed. DH thought the hybrid type of bike was a good compromise.

FWIW, I always ride with a helmet as does DH. In fact, he's in the market for a full-face helmet and more body armor.

HTH

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

daniele_ut
05-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Another who's DH is really into mountain biking. My co-worker's son owns a bike shop and we got DH a Haro Escape 8.1 last year and he loves it. I'll probably get a similar one soon, but I'd rather have a full suspension (DH's is a hard tail). I don't plan on any hard core mountain biking, but I'd like to get a good quality, lightweight bike.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
05-12-2006, 12:43 PM
I just had to tell you that the Queen song I hear in my head when thinking about getting on my bike is "Fat Bottomed Girls" right now its like the exercise Gods are calling from my garage "Get on your bikes and ride..." hee hee.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
05-12-2006, 12:43 PM
I just had to tell you that the Queen song I hear in my head when thinking about getting on my bike is "Fat Bottomed Girls" right now its like the exercise Gods are calling from my garage "Get on your bikes and ride..." hee hee.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

elliput
05-12-2006, 01:05 PM
We make the Rockin' World Go Round! (teeheehee)

There is a line about fat bottomed girls in "Bicycle Race", also.

Bicycle races are coming your way
So forget all your duties oh yeah
Fat bottomed girls they'll be riding today
So look out for those beauties oh yeah
On your marks get set go

elliput
05-12-2006, 01:05 PM
We make the Rockin' World Go Round! (teeheehee)

There is a line about fat bottomed girls in "Bicycle Race", also.

Bicycle races are coming your way
So forget all your duties oh yeah
Fat bottomed girls they'll be riding today
So look out for those beauties oh yeah
On your marks get set go

bostonsmama
05-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Seriously, if you don't want to drop a grand on a bicycle, there are plenty of good quality brands with bikes under $300. I like to have a bunch of gears, and a wider, comfy seat is a must (esp if you really do belong in the "fat bottom girls" club). ;) I actually returned two bikes before settling on my Schwinn for this very reason. I have shocks and a "suspension," but it's minimal and fits my needs. My tires have a little tread to them...enough to bike across the grassy park, but smooth enough to gain speed on the pavement. I'm pretty sure we got it at Target, but it's been a while, so I don't remember.

We have a private bike shop around the corner from our house, but I think their prices are a rip off, especially considering how often they get stolen and how seldom *most* people use them after the initial excitement wears off. Can you tell I'm not a bike snob? :)

Larissa

My-oh-my, we're doing it in July!

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my brother and SIL on 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

shilo
05-12-2006, 04:29 PM
ITA, look at hybrids, sounds like it's just what you need. most hard tails and probably all soft tails (front suspension mountain bikes without and with rear suspension) would be overkill. since you may want to be towing or seating a kiddo as well, you might want to consider something one or two steps up from a base model, only because you'll be more likely to get better gear ratio's and lighter frame/components (less extra weight to push around). if it were me, i'd still pony up and get a triple front chain ring, only because i'm a wimp and like those granny gears for hills (or towing a trailer), but ITA with pp that there is no need to go spend 1K on a fancy bike with top end components.

so i'd look for the following if i were going hybrid shopping:
--women's specific frame especially if you are on the short side, or have a short trunk/arms compared to your height. it sounds like a gimmick to charge you more money, but for the most part, they really do change the frame geometry pretty significantly. a good women's specific frame with lessen the strain on your back and neck and make for a generally more comfortable and even safer ride if you're planning on riding say more than 5 miles or so at a time.
--aluminum (vs. steel) frame to cut down the weight a little bit
--front fork suspension - maybe just 2-3" if you plan on riding on bumpier roads/packed trails/grass - otherwise, front suspension is really not necessary if your just on smooth paved roads IMO.
--triple front chain ring - you could go with a double, but you'll be happier with a triple IMO
--women's specific saddle (or figure an extra $40-60ish in your budget to add one) if you're going with a unisex bike - my 'fat bottom' not to mention my front end thanks me for my women's specific saddles every time i ride :).

like pp said, try some of the larger stores as well as your local bike shop. ride a bunch and you'll get the feel for what you like now (this style of bike will feel more similar to your old mtn bike than a road bike, but still different). in general, larger chain stores will have the best prices, but also less likelihood of finding a women's specific frame, aluminum frame, triple front, etc (not that you can't find one, just not as many to choose from), then sporting goods stores (REI's anniversary sale ends sunday) and on the higher end both choices wise and price wise is obviously your local bike shop. once you've found the frame size/feature combo your looking for, try craigs list - you may get lucky.

have fun shopping!!! :)
hth, lori

Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

chlobo
05-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Great post. I just wanted to add a couple of things.

I agree the triple chainring is a must if you're riding with your child. You'll need those extra gears unless riding exclusively on flat terrain.

I think the suspension is definitely optional. It will "absorb" some energy that could otherwise be used to move your forward.

Definitely get a bike that is a comfortable fit and worry about the seat later. You can *always* swap seats but if you buy a poorly fit bike you'll always regret it.

While aluminum is definitely lighter than steel it is also more rigid than steel. This is especially important in smaller frame bikes as the rigidity will be greater than in larger frame bikes. What this means is that the bike will be more uncomfortable than a steel bike of the same size especially on longer rides. Definitely try both a steel bike & an aluminum bike to compare.

Another option to consider is a shock seatpost. This will help absorb some of the road shock, especially if you get an aluminum bike.

If you plan to put a bike carrier on the back make sure you tell that to the people you are buying from. Some frame geometries will make it awkward (and possibly unsafe) to attach the child carrier to.

Both Trek & Specialized make nice hybrids in the $300-400 range. I tend to shy away from buying bikes at chain stores (rather than bike stores) because the people who assemble them are not professionals and often don't do a good job, causing problems later on. Plus, chain store bikes are often harder to service.

jesseandgrace
05-13-2006, 09:56 AM
I think you should look into bikes called "cruisers". They are the cool old fashioned bikes great for riding around town, made to be totally comfortable, and they are now made with the coolest colors and baskets and stuff. I would get that first if I were going for a recreational bike. I have a road bike for racing, I don't recommend that, I have a hybrid that has been really comfortable called a Bianchi Boardwalk, and a Mountain Bike that is fun for off road, but doesn't ride that smoothly. I would love one of the bright, cool, cruisers!

elliput
05-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I knew I would get some great advice! :-) I was able to do a wee bit of looking at some of the cruiser/hybrid type bikes online and I think these are the what I want. I love the look of the retro cruisers, they just look so laid back. Like a lazy summer afternoon. Thanks everyone for responding, and I am anxious to do some more looking. :-) And yes, I am a card-caring member of the fat-bottomed girls club! ;-)