PDA

View Full Version : OT -- Tinted moisturizer? Is it any good?

pampamz
05-13-2006, 10:38 AM
...does it make you look like a clown? I'm trying to re-vamp my makeup routine for the summer and want some coverage other than powder/bronzer but don't want to deal w/foundation.

Does anyone have a favorite brand or experience with this stuff?
I get failing grades in all things makeup...

MegND95
05-13-2006, 11:42 AM
I have been using Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer (based on a rec from someone here) and I LOVE it. Very sheer coverage. Simply evens out my skin tone, without looking heavy or clownish. It's a little pricey ($40), so I use it sparingly. But very much worth the money.

Happy shopping!

newmomto3kids
05-13-2006, 11:57 AM
I use Cliniques tinted moisturizer with SPF. They say it is tinted only enough to show you where you are putting it. I think, though, that it evens out my complexion and in the summer I really like it with just a little bronzer.
HTH

trumansmom
05-13-2006, 07:16 PM
I've never worn foundation in my life, but now that I'm 40, I've found I need a little extra help smoothing out my skin tone. I've tried Clinique, Lancome and Estee Lauder, and hands down I prefer the Estee Lauder Daywear Plus. The others seem more like a light foundation with moisturizer, but the EL one seems like a moisturizer with a light tint. I love it.

HTH-

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Sarah1
05-13-2006, 07:46 PM
I use a Dermalogica tinted moisturizer with SPF 15. I love it. My friend uses a Bobbi Brown one, which she also loves. And I've heard good things about the Laura Mercier one a PP mentioned.

Twins2000
05-13-2006, 09:59 PM
I like Select Tint SPF 15 from MAC. It's lightweight, easy to use, and the color (NW20) matches me very well. I don't use it often (I don't usually take the time), but when I do, it does look nice and natural (if I do say so myself)!

chiqanita
05-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Hi
I use Clinique's tinted moisturizer w/ spf. I love it. It's so simple to use and it looks pretty natural on my skin. I'm not much of a make-up user but this is easy and looks good.

manda7_23
05-13-2006, 11:58 PM
On the contrary, Tinted moisturizer is very sheer so i think it would be almost impossible to make yourself look like a clown. In my opinion it just makes your face look smoother while adding a bit of color. I love it and couldn't live without it. On days when i am in a rush i just throw it on, add some concealer in a few areas, mascara, and lip gloss and i'm out the door in 5 min. I use the Stila brand, you can get it a sephora.com. Mine has a SPF 15 also so that is a plus! Did i mention that i love it? lol..

Amanda

zuzu
05-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Another vote for Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer - it's great!

kboyle
05-14-2006, 08:05 PM
i like to use the cheapo Neutrogena tinted moisturizer in the summers...it looks fine to me, nothing cakey. i don't use foundation, so it smooths nicely without looking like i've got anything on my whole face.

egfmba
05-14-2006, 08:29 PM
I like Stila's tinted moisturizer. You can get it at the makeup counter or Sephora, and it's around $30 bucks. It's smooth and sheer but thick enough that it covers most of my freckles. My favorite thing about itnted moisturizer, though, is that there's no hard, cracked/cracking feeling at the end of the day. My face doesn't feel like the makeup mask is cracking and falling off piece by piece! I'd definitely recommend it.

eva

american_mama
05-14-2006, 10:40 PM
For those who used tinted moisturizer, do you wear other makeup with it? I use makeup about three time a year, but use moisturizer every day. I'm all for trying something new that might look better, but will my face look half finished if I use ONLY tinted moisturizer and no other makeup?

sadie427
05-14-2006, 11:53 PM
Another vote for the Neutrogena tinted moisturizer with SPF 30, it's great. I wear it every day, either plain or with a light foundation by Clinique over it. FYI the Clinique sunscreen is not very effective in my experience, so I wouldn't count on any of their products for SPF.

ctmom
05-15-2006, 06:31 AM
one more vote for Neutrogena. Most days all I put on is that, lipstick and a little blush, and I'm ready to face the day!

HTH!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

pampamz
05-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Thanks to all the beauty advisors -- I am going to get some and add it to my regime.
:)

octmom
05-16-2006, 06:35 AM
There is a piece about tinted moisturizers in the current issue (June 2006) of Real Simple magazine. They offer recommendations for various skin types. I can't find the article online, but here are their picks:

Best for normal to oily skin: Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer with SPF 20, $40

Best for dry skin: Cosmedicine Honest Face skin tint and treatment SPF 20, $35

Best value: Pantina tinted moisturizer SPF 15, $7

Best for sensitive skin: Clinique Moisture Sheer Tint SPF 15, $26

Best color range: Bobbi Brown SPF 15 tinted moisturizer, $36

Best coverage: Yves Saint Laurent Teint de Jour, $39

HTH!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

Corie
05-16-2006, 07:41 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking! I very rarely wear makeup.
But, I wear Cetaphil facial moisturizer every day.

It seems like I would look incomplete! :)

zuzu
05-16-2006, 09:08 AM
As long as you get a close match to your skin tone, I think you could get away with just using it with nothing on top. It would probably make your skin tone look more even. If you wanted to do one more thing, you could brush on a little loose or pressed powder (would take all of 10-15 seconds) for a more finished look.

For work and other "dress up" occasions I use the powder, most weekend days, I don't.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)