PDA

View Full Version : Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests

JenfromWI
05-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Has anyone ever received a positive test result using a home pregnancy test within 7-10 days of conception? Is this possible? An ultrasound I had yesterday showed a 5 week old embryo; I was sure I was 6 weeks. The only way 5 weeks is possible is if the preg test was accurate after only this short time. I won't know for sure what is happening until a repeat blood test on Thursday. TIA for responses.

kep
05-16-2006, 08:12 AM
I think the earliest I got a positive was around 10-12 days. Check out this website:

www.peeonastick.com

It has lots of information about the sensitivity of pregnancy tests. Very interesting! Good luck! :)

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)

http://b4.lilypie.com/G0VTm4.png

buddyleebaby
05-16-2006, 08:20 AM
I don't remember when I took my pregnancy test for dd, but I do know that according ti the first sono she was a week younger than she would have been according to my dates.
I still say I was right. ; )

JenfromWI
05-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks so much, Kelli! There is an answer to every question imaginable on this website. What a great resource. It looks like it is possible to get a positive result 8 days post ovulation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

brittone2
05-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Well, you could have ovulated a little late but you may already be accounting for that. HPTs can pick up by 10-12 days post ovulation as the others said, and possibly even sooner. If it is twins or multiples, some people test positive really really early.

Also, US measurements can be something like +/- 5 days so with all of that, I'd try not to worry too much. There are so many factors that could throw things off a bit here and there.

Thinking of you and hoping for the best. I think it is possible, particularly if you used a test that was something like the FRER or similar that detects really low levels of hcg.

bostonsmama
05-16-2006, 09:16 AM
There are lots of reasons you could have gotten a post pg test so early, one of which being that you ovulated earlier than you orginally thought. I'm surprised your ultrasonographer found your baby so early....that's absolutely amazing! Congrats. I hope it continues to go well for you.

A second site to look at for comparisons is http://www.babyhopes.com/pregnancy-test-sensitivity.html

Which test did you use?
Larissa

My-oh-my, we're doing it in July!

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my brother and SIL on 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

MegND95
05-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Something very similar happened to me with baby #3. I got a super early positive HPT, and my dates did not match the early u/s dates. It all worked out, but I remember thinking the same thing, and wondering how it all matched up.

Congrats to you!

jillc
05-16-2006, 09:35 AM
This happened to a friend of mine. She took a HPT on what she thought was day 35, and it was positive. She went to her doctor at what she thought was 6 wks & then again at what she thought was 8 wks. Based upon the ultrasounds that they did, they told her that the baby was 2 weeks younger than she'd calculated! My friend is very well-informed & detail oriented & I know she had her dates right.

She swore during her whole pregnancy that the baby was actually due 2 weeks earlier than the due date that the doctor gave her. Based on her cycle dates & intercourse, she said the doctor was absolutely wrong & she knew the baby was 2 weeks older.

What happened? Her beautiful baby girl was born on the due date that the doctor gave her. My friend still can't figure it out!

Hope this helps you a bit. Best of luck.

Jill

wyovol
05-16-2006, 10:53 AM
The same thing happened to me last year. I thought I was almost 9 weeks along when I took the test and almost 11 weeks along when we first went to the doctor but the ultrasound showed I was 9 weeks. I was positive about my dates, but the doctor stuck to the 9 week date. Thomas was born 4 days before his EDD so he was either a little early or a little late depending on what date you go by!

Good luck!

Diana
Thomas 1/06

mommyoftwo
05-16-2006, 11:02 AM
With Linnea, I had a positive HPT 7 days post ovulation. I know my dates were correct and I measured correctly to the exact day on all my ultrasounds which were many because of a complicated pregnancy. I have high levels of hormones when pregnant I guess because I tested postive fairly early with Amelia as well. I also was able to see the heartbeat on ultrasound at 5.5 wks with both girls. Please don't worry. Either your dates are wrong or the ultrasound is off a little. Both are entirely possible.

SummerBaby
05-16-2006, 11:04 AM
I just wanted to mention that I had an ultrasound last week due to spotting and the embryo measured 6 weeks 3 days. I was positive I was about 7 weeks 2 days because I used an ovulation prediction test to conceive. My OB said that this early on it is very difficult to calculate an accurate date because the embryo is so small. He said if the measurement is off by a millimeter it can throw the dates off by several days. He said the error rate at this point is +/- one week. I have another ultrasound scheduled in a couple weeks and supposedly the dates are more accurate around then (10-12 weeks). Good luck to you!

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

lisams
05-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Yes. It depends on when implantation happened which can be as early as 6 days, and up to 10 days I think. The HCG starts showing up in urine a few days after implantation so it is possible to get a faint positive as early as 8-10 days after ovulation. With DD I got a positive at 10 days past ovulation. I was shocked!

Also, you could have ovulated early, which could explain why the baby is measuring further along.

Congratulations!!!

mimieliza
05-16-2006, 03:28 PM
I had a positive test 9 days past ovulation. I was charting and using ovulation predictor sticks, and my conception date was verified by my first u/s.

Jo..
05-16-2006, 03:33 PM
Mine took 14 days, but I was using tests from the Dollar Tree ;)

shilo
05-16-2006, 04:04 PM
another BFP here for day 10 or 11 post ovulation (guessing 8-10 days post 'conception') based on my charting from the time. i also measured 1 week earlier than i expected for all of my ultrasounds thru first trimester. so the kicker is... i started that pregnancy with twins - which my ob attributed to the early +++ on the HPT's. they measured within 1 day of eachother until i lost one somewhere around 9weeks. from the 12 week nuchal scan on, DS measured true to 'my dates' the whole pregnancy. it would have been immaculate conception if he was conceived when the early US's showed/the due date they gave me based on those early US's. good luck, sending you sticky vibes.
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

lizajane
05-16-2006, 05:48 PM
hmmm... i took a test when pregnant with schuyler about 3 days before AF. i ovulate on day 10. so that was day 25. so it was 15 days.

ok, can't help. sorry. but i bet it COULD happen. i also bet the ultrasound could be off by a few days.

pixiepower
05-16-2006, 06:37 PM
I know quite a few ladies on other boards who have gotten BFP at 7-10dpo. Most often around 9-10dpo(days post ovulation). So, it is certainly possible. However, I have never gotten a BFP that early. The earliest I ever got one that was reliable was 12dpo.

JenfromWI
05-17-2006, 07:27 AM
My thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences, friends experiences, and good wishes! I failed to mention this, but the reason I went in initially was because of pink-tinged secretions (I wouldn't even call it "spotting") and mild cramping. When the OB did the ultrasound, I was sure that I miscarried when she told me the baby was 5 weeks. She drew me a picture of what she saw which was an elongated triange, pretty much. At 6 weeks, there should be a "sac" at the end of this triangle. I knew there was a week in there that DH and I weren't together, and couldn't figure out how I could be 5 weeks. I've determined it is possible and I'm trying to stay positive. I will have a repeat blood test tomorrow. Yesterday was a long day; today will be even longer. Your responses helped me to keep my hope up though, so thank you so much! Oh, and the pregnancy test I used was First Response (the early detection one). I didn't know the Dollar Tree sold pregnancy tests- LOL!

LucyG
05-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Yes, the Dollar Tree sells pregnancy tests, and I believe they are quite sensitive. I know that I took several of them, and got a bfp at 8 dpo with a Dollar Tree test. Best of luck to you.

DD #1 (2/03)
DD #2 (3/06)