PDA

View Full Version : BE make-up/skin color help! Larissa?

heatherlynn
05-18-2006, 09:39 AM
The BE thread got me thinking that I'd like to try some. However, I've always had a problem w/ what colors to wear. My coloring is a little different than the standard in that I have dark brown hair, green eyes, and light but not fair skin (not sure how to describe it). I know that black eyeliner doesn't look good on me (I use brown) and I have no idea what color lipstick would look good - nothing I ever buy looks right, so I just don't wear it.

I don't wear eye shadow so don't need that. Just some stuff to make my face look a little more made up than it does now. Also, my makeup seems to wear off w/in a few hours. My skin isn't as oily as it used to be and I find that I do need to put some type of light face lotion on so that my skin doesn't feel dry.

I went into Sephora yesterday, but I'm just so intimidated by those places!! I won't go in there again so that's not an option. I've attached a picture since I figure that would be helpful (excuse my look - this was when I was in the hospital after giving birth to DD#2 - only closeup I could find of me).

Please help!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

BeachBaby
05-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi, Heather. I'm not Larissa, but wanted to reply because your coloring appears to be similar to mine. My hair is not as dark as yours (or, it might be. I color it red ;) ), but my eyes are a similar shade.

I think you might do well with the BM Fairly Light foundation, and if you feel you need/want it, the Bisque concealer. Here's a Fairly Light sample on eBay ... less intimidating than Sephora and much cheaper! :) http://tinyurl.com/gzw5v

I also posted in the BM thread, so there are more details there about what I use.

HTH! Also wanted to say you look fabulous in your picture! :)

heidiann
05-18-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm no makeup expert but i'll give you my 2 cents ( for what its worth LOL..) first just let me say if that pic is just after giving birth you look good girl....
I use BM and love, love, love it ( and i'm a makeup addict and have tried everything on the market). Your complextion looks like my older DD ( she has dark hair and a light complextion) She can use both fairly light and light and oddly both seem to blend very well and look great. She just uses the regular brush that came with the kit she doesn't like the kabuki that I use. (My DD is 15 so she doesn't really need a lot of makeup) She has fairly oily teenage skin and it stays on her just fine.
As for black eyeliner i'm not a big fan of black and think just about everyone looks better in brown anyways, its just so much softer.
I personally think that you would look good in a soft rose colored lipstick. I think a taupe or brownish colored lipstick would make you look washed out. I would do a rose or mauve color on your lips and cheeks. Thats my virtual makeover for you LOL...
I'm sure some other mammas will chime in with some great advice.

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

heatherlynn
05-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the replies, ladies! And thanks for the compliments - I have to say though that I think I look better then than I do now. Not much sleep lately, but oh well...

Anyway, thanks again. I keep looking at QVC and Sephora. I'll probably go w/ QVC since they seem to have a much bigger selection. I'm thinking I'll get the foundation, MV, blush, a few brushes, and the concealing bisque if I can figure out what that is. Maybe the warmth, too, but I'm not sure.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

BeachBaby
05-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Heather, this is the Bisque and concealer brush that I have.

http://tinyurl.com/el4vw

HTH.

ETA: D'oh! I don't know why that link isn't working. But the product number is A36319.

bostonsmama
05-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Well, let me start by saying what a natural beauty you are. I don't look half as good as you without making (let alone just having a baby!), so go, mama, go!

I was trying to play with my laptop screen since it was making you look more orange than I think you really are. It was throwing off my color recommendations. Anyways, I agree w/ the PPs in that you should go for Fairly Light or Light. Since summer is coming up, you might want to start with a 0.06 oz, small sized Light and switch to Fairly Light in the winter (esp if you get pasty like I do when the sun hibernates). In some ways, all makeup fades and rubs off after some amount of time. But MV or extra foundation to set your look does help, as does a moisturizer beneath to actually turn the powder into a cream (which is what it's supposed to do).

I think you'd look rockin in Warmth. You just have to make sure you use a tiny amount and top it with either MV or Clear Radiance to tone it down. One of my best mom-friends (who has 2 under 2...so always sleep deprived), started wearing BM and when we take her oldest DS to gymnastics, parents are always asking her how she has so much energy and looks so good. I really think "Warmth" makes her come alive.

You look like you don't have a lot of red/pink undertones, so you'd prob also look great in True, or any other host of pink and peach-toned blushes. I know it seems daunting and scary to go into a store like Sephora, but it really is the best way to look at the colors on YOU. Do you have an Ulta near you? Maybe they're friendlier there.

Oh, and if you like a moisturizer that feels great, Clinique has a great one called Moisture Surge Extra thirsty skin relief. It's oil free (good for me, since I'll breakout), but oh so smooth on the skin and perfect for setting BM.
http://www.clinique.com/templates/products/sp_nonshaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY4918&PRODUCT_ID=PROD609

I'm also a huge fan of Clinique QuickLiner for Eyes in Smoky Brown. Black/Brown is a little dark. Clinique's Kohl Shaper for Eyes in Blackened Taupe is also sooooooooooo sultry. I almost bought it, but it smudged too much on me to buy it this summer (since it's humid in my state). Even my DH said "Wow!" but they were also all out.

In general, I don't wear makeup everyday, but I can do BM from start to finish in 5 min. Conceal under eyes and any red spots (30 sec), do two layers of BM foundation (60 sec), blush cheeks, nose, forehead (30 sec), dust w/ Clear Radiance (30 sec), sweep on light pink eyeshadow, line w/ violet (60 sec) and put on my new favorite lipsticks: Revlon's LipGlide Color Gloss in either Radiant Rose, Peechy Sheen or Iced Berry (20 sec).

Larissa

My-oh-my, we're doing it in July!

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my brother and SIL on 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

heidiann
05-18-2006, 11:50 AM
I bought the warmth the first time i bought BE I used it once and haven't touched it again. I personally think its wayyyy to much color.Its like a heavy duty bronzer type. Either that or I just can't put it on correctly.

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

heatherlynn
05-19-2006, 07:27 AM
Thanks once again ladies for the kind words - definately at a time when I'm not feeling my best unfortunately.

I ended up blowing a wad of money at Sephora.com, but I got free shipping, some free samples, and I went through ebates for 3% back.

Larissa - thank you so much for your advice! It is so helpful. Thanks to you, I'm sure I will look better than I do now. I only hope I can look 1/2 as good as you - from the pictures I've seen, you always look so beautiful and your makeup looks lovely. Also, I have PCO as well, so if you ever want to "chat" just let me know.

Thanks again everyone!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

Jeanne
05-19-2006, 07:52 AM
I wanted to post this to the other thread but didn't get around to it.

Some of you said this was a messy application. This might be a dumb question but when you apply the foundation powder, does it get all over your clothes? I get dressed before putting on make-up and what stops me from buying this line is the thought that I'd have to cover my shirt with something in order not to have this stuff all over. Is this the case? Or is the mess isolated to just tapping the brush off before applying?

I love loose powder shadow but it deposits color everywhere on my face when applied so I don't like to use it much.

BeachBaby
05-19-2006, 09:30 AM
Hey, Jeanne. Yeah, it's only messy when you do the tapping. I tap against my wrist over the sink and then wash my hands when I'm done. It's not too bad. I also put the make-up on after I get dressed and don't have a problem with it getting on my clothes.

HTH.

Jeanne
05-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Oh Thank You! I have wanted to try BM for so long but this issue has always stopped me. I think I'll take the plunge now.