PDA

View Full Version : 3 Month Old Not Feeding -- Cross posting in feeding forum

matthewsmom
05-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Hi everyone:

My DD is about 3 1/2 months right now and for the past few days she just hasn't really wanted to feed. She'll just look at the breast and smile and in general just doesn't want to feed. I mean it's a significant drop from her usual. Even after 4 hours she's still not that hungry. She's still pooping and peeing (not as much) but I'm just concerned. Her sleep is also off. She's not really napping the last couple of days and sleeping tonight has been a nightmare. When I hold her she's fine and happy. I'm concern about ear infection but I don't have any idea of what to look for. She's alittle conjested and I can hear it in the lungs a little. Got it from her older brother. So should I be concerned at all? Is this normal?

Carolyn

BaileyBea
05-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Carolyn,

The most important thing to watch out for right now is that she stays hydrated. Keep a look out for #1 diapers and tear fluid in her eyes. Make a Dr. appt in the morning and go ahead and see your Ped. in the a.m. Mostly for your sanity. It's hard when the babies are this little, you worry about them.

It could be a cold, teething, or that dreaded Rotavirus (which i pray it's not). She's probably just a little under the weather. Maybe she'll pick up the nursing again tonight. Breastfeeding should help her immunity. So hopefully she'll be nursing like a champ again soon.

On a limb... did you eat onions or anything else that would make the baby not want to nurse? My BFs little girl would not nurse if she ate onions. Kinda wierd but her Ped told her that sometimes babies are turned off by the smell and taste of onions in the milk.

Good luck and I hope she's doing better this evening and morning. Go see the Doc tomorrow just to make sure. Hang in there.

nd93
05-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Check for thrush. Although when my DD had it she would want to eat, but would start nursing and then cry from the pain, so I doubt that's what your DD has but never hurts to check! Definitely call your ped. 3 1/2 months is still very young.

masha12
05-19-2006, 10:57 AM
If you feel like something is not right, take her to the doctor.

But, babies go through growth spurts around 3 months and eat a lot. So the fact that she is not eating as much as she did 3 weeks ago may not be anything to worry about as long as she is eating something and otherwise seems fine.

My MIL is a pediatric nurse practitioner and she told me that she always has parents concerned at the 12-month visit that the kid just isn't eating. She told me that this is because kids go through a huge growth spurt just before the 12-month mark and eat a lot, and then the eating drops off. "Normal" eating is not the same as "consistent" eating.

But, I repeat, if you have a "gut feeling" something is wrong, or just need reassurance, take her in to see the doctor, or give them a call. That is what they are they for.

masha12
05-19-2006, 10:57 AM
If you feel like something is not right, take her to the doctor.

But, babies go through growth spurts around 3 months and eat a lot. So the fact that she is not eating as much as she did 3 weeks ago may not be anything to worry about as long as she is eating something and otherwise seems fine.

My MIL is a pediatric nurse practitioner and she told me that she always has parents concerned at the 12-month visit that the kid just isn't eating. She told me that this is because kids go through a huge growth spurt just before the 12-month mark and eat a lot, and then the eating drops off. "Normal" eating is not the same as "consistent" eating.

But, I repeat, if you have a "gut feeling" something is wrong, or just need reassurance, take her in to see the doctor, or give them a call. That is what they are they for.

Tondi G
05-19-2006, 03:24 PM
If she's congested I bet it's an EI! It can make nursing kinda uncomfortable for them... when you lay down it hurts more! if he napping and sleep is off then I would definetly take her in... that was the sign for me that my little one had an EI! It could also be teething... some babies get teeth at 4 months! Better to take her in and be sure! I would always rather take my kids in and possibly get the "it's a virus" answer than have them suffering with an Ear infection. Most times when I though "I should take him in" it turned out that they needed abx for an EI or sinus infection! Mothers intuition I guess!

Good Luck
~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05