PDA

View Full Version : Coping with ear pain on a flight

niccig
05-21-2006, 10:09 PM
DS has flown a dozen times, and each time his ears have been fine, as we make sure he drinks or takes his pacifier. Well today for 10 mins as we descended we had a screaming bucking bronco. We couldn't get him to drink anything or suck his pacifier so he could swallow and relieve the pressure. The problem today was that he was sleeping and woke up screaming. DS was fine within minutes of finally drinking some water, but both DH and I want to avoid another experience. So what can you do to relieve the pain when they won't drink or take the pacifier, any good mom-remedies?

Thanks, Nicci

nfowife
05-21-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm interested in this too, we are flying this week for the first time since weaning so I no longer have nursing as my protection against ear pain!

Lovingliv
05-21-2006, 10:24 PM
When I flew a few years ago, the flight attendant gave me a mug with a steaming hot cloth in it to put over my ear. It worked...but I would not recommend this for a baby.
Could you offer some kind of "treat" that they would be compelled to take (i.e. dip paci in pudding or icecream)? At least that would get them started.....

dhano923
05-22-2006, 01:43 AM
This sounds strange, but all you need is 2 paper cups! My cousin's wife is an air hostess on a large international airline and this is a trick she taught me. You hold a cup over each ear when you are descending or ascending. It has something to do with the air that's in the cup when you place it over your ears, and the pressure in that air doesn't change as you climb up/down. I tried it on myself on a flight a few months ago and it really does work.

Another thing I do for DS is give him a candy or something to eat -- all the child needs to do is swallow, so just give him something to eat so he will be swallowing without effort. I usually give DS something out of the ordinary (chocolate cookies, cake, etc) so that I know he will want to eat it.

kozachka
05-22-2006, 04:01 AM
I've used the two cup with a hot cloth trick as well when my ears hurts so bad I was crying. It made a world of difference despite looking silly. I don't normally have this problem but I had a cold at the time.

Momof3Labs
05-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Last flight with DS1, he was able to imitate me yawning to help relieve ear pressure. It's worth trying, though your guy is younger than mine.

linsei
05-22-2006, 08:52 AM
My friend swears by Earplanes. I haven't tried them yet.

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]

sidmand
05-22-2006, 09:07 AM
We tried Earplanes on our last flight back because DS had such problems on the flight there.

He definitely had a better return descent and I don't know whether it was the Earplanes, or that he was asleep longer or did suck on his bottle a bit. But I would try the Earplanes again.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

niccig
05-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. It will be a while before we fly again, but I'll make sure I have some cups, earplanes and something yummy to eat. DS will be older, about 2 years old, so hopefully we can explain what he needs to do before the pressure builds up.

Nicci

californiagirl
05-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Jelly beans. Or soft licorice, but jelly beans are more portable and less of a mess. She chews and swallows...

jesseandgrace
05-23-2006, 01:07 PM
I have problems with this, and I use earplanes and advil. I'm not sure how this translates to a baby, bvut I thought I would just put that out there. I had such bad pain I could feel it in my jaw, and felt like my head was going to explode. A doctor suggested the advil 45 minutes before landing (I take 2) and then I use earplanes for added security.