PDA

View Full Version : Fear of heights--I think...

HIU8
05-23-2006, 11:28 AM
DS is 18 months and seems to be scared of heights. He will go up stairs, but not down (he won't go near stairs going down). He cries on play equipment that is not on the ground (slides, platforms etc...) and he goes ballistic on the koala changing tables in public places (we just change him in the car or stroller because it is to difficult otherwise). Anyone else BTDT? Any suggestions for how to help my DS work through this?

Thanks,
Heather
DS 11/27/04

stillplayswithbarbies
05-23-2006, 12:52 PM
I think it is just the age. My daughter was the same way, and we just waited for her to grow up a little more and all was well.

She stayed well away from the tops of stairs, and didn't like being on slides and the bridges at Gymboree class. Eventually she got over it, but I let her do it on her own time. I encouraged her to try and continued to reassure her that I was right there to hold her hand and that I would not let her fall.

She never did feel secure on the koala changing tables in public restrooms though. I just kept my hand on her and kept reassuring her that she would not fall.

We even went through a time where she was scared on airplanes, once she realized that we were "way way up in the sky" and every little bump, she would get scared and say we were falling. I would put my arm over her as best I could and tell her we would not fall. She's fine now, I'm glad I kept at it rather than stop flying.

My advice is to continue to introduce the situations, but don't force it. Let him get over it in his own time. He's still figuring out how the world works.

cbm
05-23-2006, 02:10 PM
I have to agree with pp, I think it is age related. Although DS will go down the stairs, he doesn't want to go on swings, other play equipment you are describing and we don't even bother with the changing station. We also change in the car if we have to (frankly changing my DS either at home or anywhere else is a challenge onto itself :-)).
All I can tell you is to re-introduce at one or two months intervals without pushing though. This has worked for us. Sometime it has taken a few months, other times just a month. I think it has to do with maturity and what concepts they are able to grasp.
I hope it helps.

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

mamato1
05-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Probably not a true phobia yet. I would have sworn my DS was claustrophobic at that age. Elevators were NOT fun! He really just got past is with age. We did not push the issue, but we did not actively avoid it either. Over time with exposure and lots of reassurance it just became a non-issue and now loves to go on the elevator.

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png