PDA

View Full Version : would you switch OBs?

spu
05-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Hi ladies,

I'm now 20w pg, and I'm thinking about switching to another dr. Has anyone switched mid-pregnancy? How did you go about doing it? I'm with the same dr. that we had when the twins were born, but this time around, things just aren't connecting, and I feel worse after my appointments rather than happy. Mainly because ever since my first appt with him at 8w, he's been pushing to get me to schedule for an elective c. I'm going to see him next Tuesday, and present to him my wishes for a VBAC, hiring a doula, taking a bradley class, etc. and see if it turns him off or if he continues to shower me with scare tactics to do a c... if so, I'm out.

So how do you find a new dr. mid-trimester? Is there any code of ethics that should be followed? I know it's not necessary, but my new dr would probably be delivering at the same hospital as my current dr. so we may bump into eachother at some point. do you think it's an issue switching since I'm consisdered high-risk with my cervix / cerclage issues?

thanks for any thoughts or advice!

susan

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
nursed for 3 years!
http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/superpower.gif

charlotte + else

http://bd.lilypie.com/u2jym5.png
http://b4.lilypie.com/Bmr5m5.png

DebbieJ
05-23-2006, 03:48 PM
You are a customer. If you were unhappy with your hair stylist, you would find someone else, no? Same thing here. You are not required to deliver with this guy. If you bump into him, you could tell him why you switched.

Ask for recommendations from friends, go meet the new OB and off you go!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

annasmom
05-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Susan, it is definitely not too late to switch. It sounds like you are really unhappy with your current situation. Have you started looking around for a new OB? I would start asking around. Does your doula know of a VBAC friendly OB? Is there a good high-risk practice near you? I would call, and see if you could scheduled a consultation with these OBs before you officially end your relationship with your current OB. Best of luck to you!!

Rachels
05-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Susan, I'd start by asking a doula or midwives about a vbac-friendly doc. Ask on the finding your tribe section at mdc, too.

Switching is easier than you think. I remember that anxious build-up, too-- somehow we're conditioned to think we work for our doctors instead of the other way around, and we don't want to hurt their feelings. But this guy isn't meeting your needs. As a consumer, it's okay to find someone who does, and as a mother, you owe it to yourself and your baby to seek out a situation that works for you. The apprehension is the worst part, though; all you actually have to do is call and make an appointment somewhere else. Done.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

brittone2
05-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Take your time and shop around...the PPs all had good suggestions for finding a VBAC friendly doc. I would say as long as you take your time now and make sure the new doc can handle your cervix/cerclage issues, it will be a great move.

I saw an RE with Logan's pg'cy early on (did injectables) and was released to an OB (a practice recommended by my RE) at 10-11 weeks. I saw them 2-3 times and realized it was NOT the place for me at all. The visits were not at all what I wanted, very rushed, etc.

I had booked a doula early on and she was *great* about filling me on on area practices and also varying hospital policies. She was professional and polite about it, and it was very very helpful. I ended up electing to switch to a midwifery practice at I think 16ish weeks? No problems and no regrets at all! It also involved driving 45 mins to appts and 45 mins to a hospital further from home for delivery, but well, well worth it.

I don't think you should hesitate to shop around at all. I think feeling confident in your care provider makes a big difference in your mental health in pg'cy.

Oh, and when I switched to the midwifery practice, they told me they often have people switch as late as 32 weeks or later once they realize they aren't happy with their OBs policies, etc. as delivery approaches. I imagine the same is true of many OBs...they probably see people switch very late in the game due to moves, dissatisfaction with a different OB, etc. For that reason, I say take your time and do your homework so you won't feel the need to switch again, but don't hesitate to look around and ask for recommendations.

Momof3Labs
05-23-2006, 04:47 PM
we switched at 18-20 weeks and it was the single best decision we made about ds2's birth!

we found our midwife by talking to local doulas and childbirth educators (not the hospital-based ones).

if it doesn't feel right, then it's not right, and it's better to find someone new than at the eleventh hour (though not impossible then either).

KrisM
05-23-2006, 04:53 PM
I think that especially for a VBAC you need to find an OB who is definitely supportive of it and not just giving lip service. I switched at 22 weeks for this reason. My current OB has been great and has no reason to believe I can't VBAC. The old one said he "was fine with me trying, if I wanted". Not quite what I wanted.

I found my OB first, but then asked doulas their opinion when I was looking for one. Three of the 6 I contacted recommended my OB, which makes me happy :).

kozachka
05-23-2006, 05:06 PM
I switched OBs later than that and while I was stressing over it at the time, it was one of the best decisions I made. He was recommended by another woman, a friend or a friend, and I interviewed him before making my switch official. Honestly, I was not too concerned about what my other OB would think because I was pretty upset with her practice (scheduling issues, too many drs in the practice who I did not like as much as 'my' doctor). Granted they deliver at different hospitals so no chance of bumping into the old doctor. At the end of the day, I was not happy with the service so I took my business some place else.

If you feel like you have to fight your doctor over things that are important to you now, can you imagine what it might be like in the delivery room when you are not as strong and present as you are now? I'd switch to someone else. The whole OB business is just too personal to me so I have to trust my doctor 100% and know that when he says that I need a c-section that I really need one IYKWIM.

LucyG
05-23-2006, 07:46 PM
If I desired a VBAC and did not have a supportive OB, I would definitely look around for a more supportive doctor. Actually, I would seek out a midwife, if possible (but there are plenty of vbac-supportive doctors, also). I think it could be awkward if you switch, but so be it. The awkward moment will pass if you run into your former doctor. You are the consumer, and it is your birth experience and your baby that you have to think about. I encourage you to do it! I agree that asking some doulas for suggestions is a great idea. I would also ask your Bradley teacher (or any Bradley teacher in your area, for that matter).

DD #1 (2/03)
DD #2 (3/06)

laurena
05-23-2006, 11:08 PM
I asked this question right here about 10 weeks ago when I was 27 weeks and the answer was a resounding "Yes!". It was the best advice.

To find another practice, I asked around for recommendations for an OB or midwifery practice both here and among women I know in my area and found a practice in my insurance plan. I had to have my records sent from the current practice in order to have them evaluated by the new practice before they would accept me as a patient. The first question they asked me was if I had a c/s with my first pregnancy. Because I did not, I do not know how that may have impacted their decision. But, clearly, there are VBAC friendly practices out there.

I will tell you that switching was the best thing I could have done. I'm so happy with the way I'm treated (like an adult). I feel happy and postive when I leave my appointments, which is an even bigger deal when you start seeing them every two weeks, then every week. Pregnancy and labor can be stressful enough without doctors adding to it unnecessarily!

Also, I have to think that even if you deliver at the same hospital, you wouldn't necessarily run into him. I don't remember seeing any other doctors other than my OB's partner when I delivered the first time. And, even if you do, I doubt he'll stalk you like the hairstylist on Seinfeld. ;)

Good luck and best wishes.

starrynight
05-23-2006, 11:11 PM
I switched at 33 weeks with dd, I moved though so not because I didn't like the doc. I requested a records switch and got a new doc.

It's never too late to switch if you aren't happy. Good luck!

JBaxter
05-24-2006, 06:26 AM
I didnt but a good friend switched at 28 weeks. She was very unhappy at the way her drs had been speaking and treating her so she called another practice ( that had been recommended to her) explained what was happening and switched.

brownlesa
05-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Yes!!!

At 28 weeks I was still suffering from severe morning sickness and my doctor and her office staff was totally unsupportive, so I switch to another doctor that was recommended by a friend. I didn't feel a strong connection to the new doctor either, but they took my concerns more seriously which was important to me.

I'm sure you can find another doctor that supports your concerns. Just call your old doctor and ask for your records and go.

Good Luck!

Leslie

MegND95
05-24-2006, 08:47 AM
I would absolutely switch if it does not feel right. And I second looking for a practice with MW's available. I think they tend to be much more VBAC friendly, and attentive to the whole woman, not just the pg woman (and for me, pg with #3, I wanted someone who cared about my emotional and physical well being).

My second VBAC was with a group of three MW's who worked in a larger OB practice. I never had to see an OB, except for one u/s. But they were on staff should the need for a c/s arise during labor. It was the perfect combo for me.

Good luck in your decision!

psophia17
05-24-2006, 10:14 AM
You've gotten great advice - I just had one thing to add. I saw my OB a total of 2x in the hospital after DS was born, and I was there for 4 days. If you VBAC, you'll be in and out, and the chance that you'll run into your old OB is slim. No need to let that factor in your decision at all.

spu
05-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your words of encouragement. i've made so many calls this week to doulas, bradley teachers, midwife-friendly hospitals... that I"m becomming overwhelmed. The doula that I'm liking alot is about 45 minutes in the opposite direction of the hospital, but she's willing to go into the city even though it's probably 2 hrs from her house. Plus she teaches the bradley classes.

When I go on Tuesday to see my current dr, I'm going to tell him my decision to do a VBAC, hire a doula, etc. and see if he flounders. If he does, I'm out of there. In fact, I'm bringing the tele to the midwife hospital that I'm interested - they said I can call and come I in for a tour any time if it's not too hectic.

thanks!!

susan

nursed for 3 years!
http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/superpower.gif

charlotte + else

http://bd.lilypie.com/u2jym5.png
http://b4.lilypie.com/Bmr5m5.png

jec2
05-24-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm just about 16 weeks and just swithced this week. The new doc delivers at the hopsital I want to be at and the previous one did not. I almost didn't get to switch, however. The new doc usually doesn't take transfers (and I think my ins. prevents from switching at a particular point in one's pregnancy) so you should do it sooner than later. Really, the only reason the new doc agreed to take me is b/c this is my 2nd baby and I had an uncomplicated 1st birth.

writermama
05-24-2006, 06:14 PM
With my first pregnancy I switched at 26 weeks. I remember it was an overwhelming and stressful decision at the time, but it was the best thing I did. I switched to a midwife practice at a birth center and I'm sure that if I'd stayed with my original OB that I would have ended up with an unnecessary C section.

With mine, the thing that turned me off was the meeting where I went to talk to him about birth plans. I didn't have a very specific, picky sort of a plan either, just general wishes to avoid induction, pitocin, episiotomy, and epidural. I could tell that he wasn't at all supportive. He said something like, "it doesn't always go the way we want and most women, especially with first children, need episiotomies." but what really turned me off wasn't the idea that we'd need to be flexible and respond to the reality of what was happening, it was that I got the sense that he was just nodding his head and saying "yes, we can do that" to humor me, but he wasn't really listening and once we got to the hospital we were going to do it his way.

My advice is to trust your instincts. Even if your OB says, "sure, I'll help you attempt a VBAC and Bradley is the best thing since sliced bread." If you feel like he doesn't really mean it, find someone else and don't look back.

Good luck,
Karen

Rachels
05-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Susan, email me if you like-- I've got the scoop on a lot of the hospital around here because of my research, so I can tell you what I know if you tell me which hospitals you're considering.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

american_mama
05-25-2006, 03:37 PM
I would just urge you to ask around a bit to find out if switching would be difficult. I say this because I moved across the country when I was 7 month pregnant, completely normal pregnancy, and I had a slightly hard time getting a new group to take me on. I still don't know why. Maybe the receptionists were misinformed or just the wrong people to talk with, but several of them would say after they asked how many weeks I was "Oh.... we don't take patients past X weeks." I would think any complications in a pregnancy might add to the reticence.

The midwife group I eventually went with had a lot of March due dates and for that reason wasn't supposed to take more patients. But I took advantage of administrative confusion between different schedulers and offices and got my initial appointment, and everything was fine after that.

I do think that finding the right provider is key to having a successful birth, so I understand wanting to switch. Just find out in your area, with your situation if it would be hard.

calebsmama03
05-25-2006, 07:44 PM
I switched from an OB to a homebirth midwife at 24 weeks and never regretted it. Well, my only regret was that I didn't switch sooner ;) I'd say to do a few "meet and greet" apts with new OB's or midwives and go with your gut :)
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

marie
05-26-2006, 10:20 AM
a couple in my bradley class switched to my OB at 37 weeks! the midwife group at a certain hospital in cambridge :) wanted to immediately schedule a C when they realized the babe was breech. my OB - at the same hospital - took her on, let her go into labor naturally, and then did the C. our bradley teacher said it is rare to find a doc willing to do that in this area. i know that's not your situation but, it is the latest i've ever heard someone switching! i'm happy to share her name with you if you'd like.

mschmukal @ yahoo . com (no spaces)

as others have said - follow your gut! :)

good luck!

megs4413
05-26-2006, 12:53 PM
we switched at about 20 weeks as well and the only problem we had was getting the first doc to submit records in a timely manner. he didn't feel like communicating with the new doc....guess he's not very mature....

also make sure you have a zero balance at OB1's office....if you dont' and they know you dropped them, they may hound you about it, thinking you're trying to skip out on the bill.

It was completely worth it making the switch, even with the troubles we had. Good luck!