PDA

View Full Version : put on bedrest

shellybelly
05-23-2006, 07:32 PM
hey all

well, i just came back from the Dr's and my low-risk pregnancy has just been bumped up to mid to high risk pregnancy. I was supposed to have an ultrasound today, but I pulled out of it because of the added cost (we're on a seriously strict budget to make it through) and I totally felt like a big selfish idiot when the doctor explained to me that I really need to have it done, etc etc and boy did I feel like a lousy mom (and he isn't even born yet)! I'll be getting that ultrasound next week afterall.

Long story short, he gave me a doctor's note saying I had to stop working immediately (bad timing for my work, the work load/stress load has tripled -- not to mention finances again), be on bedrest, and all the hoopla that goes with it. He says I am very very close to getting toxemia, and my body is definitely not ready to deliver and that if i had to be induced, it would most likely end in a c-section. i feel awful for my DH because the Dr also said, limit or almost cut out intercourse, and I am just now getting back that lovin' feelin' after having no energy nor desire to be intimate. TMI, sorry.

anyway, i didn't want to post to complain (too much). I am just now having time and energy to get everything (i mean EVERYTHING) ready for benjamin's arrival. I feel the extreme need for every part of the house to be perfect and clean and perfect again. Now I'm supposed to lay around and look at my home not get done. What am I supposed to do for 4 weeks?? I can't stand watching TV for more than an hour at a time (unless it's Pride and Prejudice)!! I know that there are definitely other women that have been on bedrest, not to mention significantly longer (so I have NOTHING to complain about), what have y'all done to stay sane, entertained, and feeling productive?

TIA!!!

-Shelly

our lil' Benjamin arrives 18 June 06
http://bd.lilypie.com/X4sfm8.png
We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
-Gandhi

bcky2
05-23-2006, 08:00 PM
big (((hugs))) and hang in there mama. i was on strict bedrest with my first ds for the last 4-6 weeks(cant remember exactly as it was a big blurr). i will agree with you, boredome city! i filled out my annoucment cards for when ds was born while i sat in bed. i read ALOT! i watched a little tv here and there. a wrote letters to friends and family. but mostly i ended up sleeping most of the day and was up most of the night because that is when he was most active. the one thing i can say is dont watch food shows in the middle of the night while pregnant. i live in the chicago area and i was stupid enough to watch a special on hot dog places in the chicago area at like 1 in the morning, if there was a hot dog place open at that time dh would have been drug out of bed and made to go get me one }(

most of all i hope that all goes well and that you make it a little bit longer. the most important thing to do is keep you and your little one healthy :)

C99
05-23-2006, 08:24 PM
It stinks, doesn't it? What are you supposed to do for the next 4 weeks? Nothing! Take it easy! Your job is to grow a healthy baby. Just keep telling yourself that. I'm not going to lie to you though: bedrest is really boring! But here's a few things to do:

- Get a Sidelines.org e-mail or phone buddy. I did this when I was on bedrest for 6 weeks last year and it helped a lot to correspond with someone who has BEEN THERE.

- Read. Start reading all those early parenting book recommendations that you will be too tired to read when you have a newborn in the house!

- Watch TV or movies. I have memorized "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!" from watching it on HBO so many times when I was on bedrest.

- Do you have any friends or family who don't work during the day? Have them come over to keep you company, bring gossip. One of my friends (and fellow BBBers) did this for me and I still remember it -- it literally made my day that day.

- Sleep.

- E-mail friends. Surf the Web A LOT, especially if you have a wireless-equipped laptop.

TaChapm
05-23-2006, 09:06 PM
So sorry! I was put on bedrest yesterday. It is no fun. Trashy tabloid magazines can pass the time. I never read them but when on bedrest I send DH out to get them to pass the time. Online shopping is dangerous (but fun) as well.

Hang in there!

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
OMG!!! It's a GIRL!! Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/kLMem8.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

Mamma2004
05-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Shelly, I know that four weeks must seem like an eternity but try to make the most of this time. (yes, much easier said than done) We are under 8 hours shy of DS's 2nd birthday and I cannot even remember how long I was on bedrest before he was born (weeks and weeks but since he was 8 weeks early, it could have been sooo much longer).

I used that time to read Baby Bargains (really!) and to thoroughly research anything and everything online. Other than that, I just took my meds and drank copious amounts of water to quell contractions. You may learn to watch TV, though I preferred to surf the 'net while listening to soothing, stay-put music.

Visitors can really help to pass the time. Between the anticipation of a friend's arrival, the pleasure of her visit and then the time spent reflecting on your silly conversation, you can easily pass a good six hours or so!

Best of luck to you, Shelly!

Stephanie