PDA

View Full Version : Question for Jersey Shore Moms

annasmom
05-24-2006, 12:21 PM
So, I was thinking about heading to the beach either Saturday or Sunday just for the day. We would probably hit the nothern beaches, maybe Spring Lake. Does anyone know whether there are any kid-oriented activiites planned anywhere this weekend. Or, better yet, anywhere I should avoid, i.e., towns overrun by drunk college students?? We have been going to LBI pretty much exclusively for the past 10 years so I am a bit out of my element.

boolady
05-24-2006, 12:53 PM
I don't know of any specific activities, but Spring Lake is usually devoid of the drunken college student scene (though one town away in Belmar is another matter...). Spring Lake is always nice, has the ice cream shop on the main street, etc, and always seems to me to be the family crowd. Hope that helps.

annasmom
05-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Yes, I have always loved Spring Lake, and once upon a time I was one of those drunken college students in Belmar <<shudder>>.

jayali
05-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Eileen,

We live in Spring Lake Heights, just west of Spring Lake. The local paper comes out tomorrow, but as of today I am not aware of any "planned" things for kids. What you should be aware of is the Spring Lake 5k race is planned for Saturday morning and they expect over 9,000 runners. Lots of streets will be closed, so I suggest skipping Saturday and if you do come to do so on Sunday. I would also suggest the Northend Pavillion - seems to be less crowded then the south. While I am partial to Spring Lake, I really think you may want to consider Belmar. Things are very different in that town since our drunken college days. Every few streets they have a small playground on the sand. They have bathrooms AND you can buy food on the boardwalk. You may even be allowed to eat on the beach, not sure about that though. I go to Sea Girt beach and they have a "no eating" policy. Sounds like you are semi-familiar with the area so I will also suggest a trip to Jenkinsons (Pt. Pleasant) for the typical boardwalk attractions. My 2 year old LOVES it. We usually go during the week, in season, because the weekends can be crowded. You may even consider doing the Pt. Pleasant beach and then you have the boardwalk to do later.

The town of Spring Lake, while beautiful, is really not a great kiddie town. Manasquan is a bit more child friendly, but a hike to town from the beach. Our favorite ice cream shop is just west of Spring Lake town and lake. It is called Susan Murphy's and is THE BEST. So if you do come then go to Warren Avenue, just west of the train station for your ice cream.

Wish we were going to be around this weekend, we could meet up. We luckily are heading North up to Bergen County for some family parties. My husband and I hate Memorial Day weekend down here.

I will let you know if anything pops up in tomorrows paper.

annasmom
05-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Jeannine, thank you SO much!! I thought my dc would be too little for Point Pleasant, so that is great to know. BTW, I may be up in Bergen at my parents house for part of this weekend too. I actually just got off the phone with a high school friend and we are planning on meeting up at Van Saun!