PDA

View Full Version : Separation Update

kijip
05-24-2006, 02:05 PM
I have received many emails asking how I was doing and while I like to respond to each person if I can, I thought I would do an update here.

I have found a new job, at a sizable jump in pay over my previous work. It is in the same non-profit field (children and family support) but with an older organization that is very financially stable. Even better, I get to work some from home (good for night owls) and I get a long weekend all summer long. There is certainly flexibility to do more schooling as well. While not linked directly to the separation, I do think that I pushed myself harder and asked for more financially in my job search than I would have before since I was working hard to establish myself as financially secure and independent.

While housing was up in the air for a bit, I have just moved into a great apartment in a great area. Toby has his first normally sized room and is ecstatic (lol) after being set up in the walk-in closet and a den before.

J's (my husband) and my agreement has worked out REALLY well so far. J and I take Toby to church on Sundays, then take him to breakfast and spend most of Sunday together as a family. We also have ended up eating dinner together many nights. J has Toby on Mondays and Wednesdays and that seems to be going well. J also helped me move and dealt with the headache of assembling Toby's room with me, which was only fair ;) .

J attends weekly sessions alone and also a men's group called "Men Against Abuse" or something like that. He had made a real effort and I see some of that paying off in his attitudes to the point that I am confident that we will try to get back to living together within the near future, say 6-7 months or so.

All in all, the space combined with the family time has been great to build up my confidence and to air in some sunshine so that J knows that many people are holding him to changing. J and I had a fundamentally strong relationship in terms of compatibility and expectations. We certainly were the last couple any of our IRL friends would have expected to split. He is working to let go of a lot of patterns learned in childhood and has decided that for the time being, his father is not going to have any contact with us but that he has to let the anger over his childhood. I had ben telling him for years that he had to forgive to move on but that did not mean that he had to expose himself to an abuser over and over again or minimize the damage that his parents, especially his dad, did.

We took a big step recently and went out together alone for the evening. We had a great time and it really is starting to feel like the best of our old relationship (which was most of our relationship). I can honestly say that I think this is best for me and not just what I think is best for Toby or the "whole family". I think that we will continue to do this periodically.

We have not attended joint sessions yet because I still believe that I can have no part in ending his periodic violent behaviors, that that is 110% his responsibility. But I will see someone with him later, once we have an idea of when we are getting back together.

I hope that how well Toby and I are doing post my marriage separation will help encourage mamas in tough grey situations/separations as well. Regardless of if your relationship is mend-able, know that you are all strong and will have a bright future. Just focus on what is best for you and for your children and don't allow your partner excuses and it will sort itself out. :)

candybomiller
05-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Katie,

I am so happy to hear that things are going well. Sounds like you did exactly the right thing for your family. Continued good wishes headed your way.

o_mom
05-24-2006, 02:11 PM
I am so glad you gave an update. I have been wondering how things were going but didn't want to pry too much. Sounds like you have a great plan and are doing everything you can without cutting any corners. I hope things continue to work out and that J can overcome his issues.

TaChapm
05-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Glad to hear things are going well. It sounds like things are really working out for you. I hope you and DH are able to work things out. I can't ever imagine being in that situation but I hope if I was I could handle it as well as you have.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
OMG!!! It's a GIRL!! Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/kLMem8.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

Mommy_Again
05-24-2006, 02:21 PM
oh my gosh, I am so happy to hear things are looking up for you. You should feel really lucky to have a DH who is willing to admit his mistakes and take an active role in rectifying them. He sounds like a really good guy and I hope things continue to improve and your family reunites soon. I agree that ending his behavior is 100% his responsibility, and you will probably find the joint therapy beneficial when you get to that point, if only to understand better where he came from and what his recovery entails.

s_gosney
05-24-2006, 02:32 PM
I was just thinking about you guys a couple of days ago and wondering how things were going, but didn't want to pry. Thanks for sharing this journey with us, as I'm sure many have found the courage to take the needed steps after reading your posts.
I'm glad that things are going well for all of you and truly hope that J is able to overcome his past and you all will be a success story in a situation where there are far too few of those. You are truly an inspiration, Katie.

niccig
05-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Katie, It's great to hear that things are improving and that J has taken responsibility for his behaviour and is actively working on his issues. My parents divorced when I was a teenager for similar reasons. My Dad had to lose his entire family before he sought help. He still sees a psychologist and he is such a different man than the father I had as a child. I am very lucky as I now have a great relationship with him. I know this doesn't happen in all cases, but my parents got back together a few years after they divorced and are still together 17 years later. People can change.

Nicci

ETA spelling.

lizajane
05-24-2006, 02:59 PM
i am SO glad to hear how well things have been going. you are a great mom to work so hard for your child, your family, and YOU. way to go! i hope more happiness is ahead for you.

kozachka
05-24-2006, 03:45 PM
I am so glad that things are looking up for you. Hope it's a sign of things to come. And thank you for sharing your story. I am sure that stories like this will encourage more woman to stand up for themselves.

KBecks
05-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Yay, so glad to hear a positive update, and best wishes to your family as things continue to move forward.

urquie
05-24-2006, 04:54 PM
thanks for the good news update! glad to hear things are going well!

kijip
05-24-2006, 05:06 PM
>an aside - the redmond saturday market has started up for the
>season (near redmond town center), i bet you and toby would
>love it!

Woo-hoo! I will have to get over there soon. Just starting to get my bearings on the Eastside. I can now navigate to work, school, the grocery store, one ATM that is free for me to use, to downtown Kirkland and Woodinville (Hanna Outlet and McLendons), Juanita Park and to Walgreens without getting on the freeway. I am *pretty* sure I can make it to Redmond Town Center without getting lost or coming via 520. My CPS class was right over there. I am glad to have a local farmers market! Thanks for the tip.

Jenn98
05-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Thank you for the update. And not just cause I'm nosey, either ;) I'm so glad to hear you are doing well. Congrats on the job, on the new place and of course, on being a great mama!! KUDOS to you!

SweetTooth
05-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Katie,
I'm very glad to hear that things are going in the right direction for you & your family. I must say, I admire your strength. I can imagine it would be almost "easier" to stay in one's current situation, as change and doing things on your own is often so difficult. I also very much appreciate you sharing your story, as I think it is helpful for others to hear how amicable things can be during a separation. Thank you for the inspiration.

mamalou
05-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Congrats on the job... sounds great. Glad to hear things are progressing positively. Thinking of you.

urquie
05-24-2006, 08:14 PM
very nice - all the essentails. i love avoiding the freeways too.

dr mom
05-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Katie, I was so happy to see this update. I know it must have been so difficult to initiate the separation, but your unwavering love for your family is really evident in your posts, and I'm glad to hear that DH has taken the steps necessary to become a better husband and father to you and Toby.

I hope things continue to improve for all of you, and that this experience will strengthen your family in the end.

mamamayi
05-24-2006, 08:43 PM
This is a fantastic update! Thanks for sharing.

denna
05-25-2006, 01:53 AM
It is so good to hear from you Katie. I am so glad to hear that you and Toby are doing so well. It sounds like you and J have a good arrangement going now and he seems to really be trying to fix this. That all sounds great. Congrats on the new job and Im so happy things have worked out well for all of you.
Your encouraging words are welcome and well received here. I have read other posts from moms in similar situations to yours and Im sure these words mean so much to them.

Thanks so much for the update and the encouraging words...

((BIG HUGS))

Denna