PDA

View Full Version : How often do you talk to *your* mom or dad?

kaylinsmommy2
05-24-2006, 03:16 PM
In the developmental psych class that I'm TAing this quarter, the prof asked the college students how often they talked to their mom (we were talking about infant attachment). I was surprised to see that almost 1/2 the class of 250 said that they spoke with their moms every day! I think 2/3 of them talked to their moms twice a week or more. I also see a post below about all your mommy-girls. ;) I'm just curious what other people's experiences are.

I really hope this doesn't upset anyone who isn't close to their parents or have lost one or both parents. I'm just curious.

ETC typo

candybomiller
05-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Every single day, even though she can't answer me anymore. :/

s_gosney
05-24-2006, 03:21 PM
I voted 2x a week or more, but it definitely varies. We also email frequently.

I've wondered about a related question too about how often people visit their mom/parents, especially those in close proximity. We live a little over an hour away and go at least once a month...more when I needed her free babysitting to get my thesis done. I know that this is more often than many of my friends visit their moms, but we really enjoy each others' company and it's important to me that she and dd have a close relationship. Sorry for the slight hijack...

carrie_geiger
05-24-2006, 03:29 PM
And sometimes multiple times a day, especially since the arrival of their first grandchild! :-)

~Carrie

elliput
05-24-2006, 03:39 PM
It depends on if you count IM'ing talking. :-) We are in different time zones (2 hr diff) so most of the time we are not on the computer at the same time. We both have mic's for our pc's now so we also voice chat when possible. So I'd say 2-3 times a month I actually talk to my Mom. Before IM and voice chat sometimes it would be a month or two between times talking. And the odd thing is that I really consider us pretty close as a family - we're just not big talkers! :-)

DebbieJ
05-24-2006, 03:45 PM
My mom and my sisters and I are all "IN" with Verizon, so we talk quite often... ;) Mulitple times daily.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

heidiann
05-24-2006, 03:49 PM
I talk to my mom usually once a day. We only live about 10 miles from each other and I probably see her once a week or more.

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

jenmcadams
05-24-2006, 04:03 PM
If you find this interesting, check out this week (or last week's newsweek) for a story about boomer parents and how much closer college aged kids are to their parents today -- I'm pretty sure it was the cover story, but I can't find my issue right now.

I voted 2X per week or more (normally 3-4X/week), but it was never more than 1x week in college.

jbowman
05-24-2006, 04:05 PM
I talk to my dad almost everyday--and usually multiple times (he loves his cell phone, LOL), and I probably talk to my mom once a week.

bcky2
05-24-2006, 04:21 PM
my mom i would say at least 5 days out of 7 and sometimes more then once on thoes days :)

me and my dad talk once to twice a week i would say.

daniele_ut
05-24-2006, 04:22 PM
My mom and I don't have the closest relationship, though we get along ok when we are together. I voted once a month, and it is generally only if I call her. I can count on one hand the number of times that she has called me in the last 5 years. She rarely calls anyone, though, it isn't just me.

I got pretty angry at her after Kiely died, though. She came out here for the funeral and then went home 5 days later and didn't call for 13 weeks. I waited to see if she would call if I didn't and she never did so I gave up and called. I have always had a closer relationship with my aunt (mom's sister) and I talked to her frequently during that time. Her 3rd child died an hour after her birth, so she knew what I was going through anyway. Sorry, more info than you asked for!

g-mama
05-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Like Candy, every day, only in my prayers. :(

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

kaylinsmommy2
05-24-2006, 04:31 PM
:( But I actually think that's REALLY sweet.
Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

Marisa6826
05-24-2006, 04:34 PM
As infrequently as possible, but you already knew that. :P

My Father died when I was 10, so that's kind of out of the ballpark.

-m

kijip
05-24-2006, 04:35 PM
I am in the almost every day catagory. That would be partly because my parents split taking care of Toby duties while I work so I drop Toby off at least 3 mornings a week at my moms and then pick him up at my dad's. Also, my mother is disabled so we take her shopping and eat dinner with her a couple times a week to keep her company and make sure she has enough groceries and a reasonably clean apartment.

hez
05-24-2006, 05:16 PM
It depends on the week.

When I was disappointed in my parents and going through our sad times this fall, it was once a week, maybe. Normal life, it's 4-5 times a week. Mom's usually good at letting me vent, and Dad's the best when I need to share a Dilbert-ism (we both work at large companies) or need to ask a dumb question about things like hot water heaters or funny noises my car makes :)

Ask DH, and he'll tell you he talks to his parents 2-3 times a MONTH, and that's when they call him!

MarisaSF
05-24-2006, 05:26 PM
We talk every few days. We always talk on Sundays (has been the ritual since I left for college), but find we "need" to chat more often. Our conversations are often about how great the area of the country I'm living in is and how they should move. :P

maestramommy
05-24-2006, 06:00 PM
In college I'd call home once or twice week to "catch up." My rootmmate did comment once that our conversation sounded like we were friends chatting, which she couldn't relate to at all. These days I will call home about once or twice a week, mostly to check up on my parents (Does THAT sound weird) but sometimes also to chat. And from what my mom says none of us were AP'd. Wrong generation, wrong culture.

ribbit1019
05-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Every day, they call for the nightly Squirmy (DD) and Squishy (DS) report. I call them more then that earlier in the day though. Before we had kids we lived with them, but before that (when I was in college) I talked to her probably 2 or 3 times a week, and about the same with my dad.
DH talks to his mom nearly every day (used to be every day several times prior to kids) and his dad only when he has to.

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
& Jarred 3/8/06, 14 lb 24 1/2" @ 10 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

cilantromapuche
05-24-2006, 06:28 PM
I hear you on that one. My mother is dead and my dad is needy and selfish. He is out of the country for most of the year and calls me from weird time zones. I hope he never retires though, because he has no life and thinks it's my duty to listen to him, even though he doesn't care about me or my life (and I have a brother, but his time is more valuable and he doesn't want to bother him).

Christine

mama to A (7/03)and a girl (6/06)

cmdunn1972
05-24-2006, 06:36 PM
My Mom and I talk pretty much daily. (DS is their only grandchild.) However, we weren't nearly as close until DS came into our lives. They live 3.5 hours' drive away, but we try to see each other at least twice per month. For each trip, we'll stay two nights so that we get more out of the visit.

My MIL get along like a charm. We don't talk daily, but it's probably every other day or so. We travel up there once or twice per month, usually between DH's business trips. (DH does a lot of overseas travel for work.)

brittone2
05-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Pretty much daily, and we see them maybe 2-3x a week. My DS adores his grandparents and they adore him. We have limited family around since we moved to NC (but my parents are nearby) so it is nice that he at least has frequent exposure to them.

In college, probably 2-3x a week I'd say.

My mom and I had a *really* rocky relationship in my teens but we have become very close in the past few years, and much closer since the birth of my DS. I value each day that they are in our lives, and both DH and I actually enjoy hanging out with them :)

ILs are another story...we haven't talked to them since Christmastime, by their choice. Sigh.

elephantmeg
05-24-2006, 07:07 PM
NAK-hmm, It's increased since I had a baby but it's still only every other week or so, they try to visit once a month to visit Robert and their parents--they (my parents) live 5 hours away. When we talk it's often short, I feel like they push me off the phone, I'll be talking w/my mom (2-3 min) and then she abruptly hands me off to dad if he's there and then he talks 1-2 min and hands me back to mom for 1-3 min-or hangs up. It aggrevates me to no end! It's interesting a PP mentioned the newsweek article, DH and I had a long discussion on that last weekend. My parents dropped me off at college 1 wk after my 17th b-day and I didn't hear from them for weeks. DH lived at home until we got married. We now live next door to my DIL and I do talk to them and/or see them almost every day. My parents (OK my mom more than my dad) totally stress me out and by the way they're coming this weekend!

holliam
05-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Well, neither of our sets of parents ever call us. I usually call my parents once a week, maybe less often if I'm not in the mood for a narcissitic download. I talk to my sisters and niece weekly, sometimes more, email frequently. We usually see my sisters and niece several times a year, and my parents about 1-2 times.

Liam never calls his parents or siblings either. We see his family maybe 2x a year and they email. I chat with Liam's sister daily on IM; we work at the same company.

Holli

Sillygirl
05-24-2006, 07:23 PM
I would talk more with them, but they're six hours ahead of me. When I work weekends, there's no time to talk when we're all awake.

dr mom
05-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Every day - my mom watches DS while I'm at work, and then usually stays to eat dinner with us. She actually lived with us for a year while she was between houses, and everyone got along surprisingly well - but, ya know, I think I have an EXCEPTIONALLY patient DH! :)

pb&j
05-24-2006, 09:38 PM
We talk nearly daily. My parents live just a few miles away, and are desperately in love with my son. My mom picks him up from day care at least twice per week, and we usually do something together on the weekends. She's been in Vietnam for a couple of weeks, and I can't wait for her to get back. My dad just retired, and loves helping us out with "projects" around the house. I am incredibly lucky. I love my parents a lot, and hope that I can be as good a parent to my children.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

SweetTooth
05-24-2006, 10:59 PM
My mom lives fairly close & watches DS several times a week. We talk daily or almost daily. Before DS, we talked about once a week. For DH, probably every 1-2 weeks.

C99
05-24-2006, 11:49 PM
I answered once/week, but now that I think about it, it's probably more like twice/week since I talk to both my mom and dad on average once/week (and they are still married to each other and living in the same house. When my mom isn't working, I talk to her every day or almost every day.

kaylinsmommy2
05-25-2006, 12:18 AM
That really *is* interesting. Maybe I'll try to find that issue. Thanks!

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

kaylinsmommy2
05-25-2006, 12:24 AM
Well, I live about 8 hours away, and we see each other 5 times a year. But DH, DD, and I are usually the ones who make the flight. But we might not be typical, especially since I only talk to my mom less than once a week which seems very atypical now! ;)

FWIW, Once a month seems liek a good amount. Especially if they come to visit you sometimes, too?

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

denna
05-25-2006, 12:34 AM
I voted for once a week. Sometimes its once a day sometimes I don't get to talk to my mom for 2 weeks. But on average I'd say once a week. And about visiting...I haven't seen my family or my home (California) in over a year. This is the longest I've been away in my entire life, but I guess that can happen living on the other side of the world (Italy).
When I was living in California about 3 hours from my parents (on a good traffic day) :) I would go twice a month to see them.

Great post by the way....

Denna

essnce629
05-25-2006, 02:52 AM
I live with my mom right now so obviousely I talk to her all the time! But, when I was away in college in Los Angeles and she was here in San Diego, I talked to at least once a day and sometimes more. We're moving away to Virginia in December and I already told my boyfriend to get ready for a big phone bill because I will still talk to her every day!

***Latia
Birth and Postpartum Doula
http://www.socaldoula.com

Conner 8/19/03 (homebirthed water baby)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months!

KimberleyDawn
05-25-2006, 08:57 AM
I speak with my mom daily whether it be by phone or email.

The question that would apply better to me would be "How often do you see or speak with your Daddy"....EVERYDAY!!!!!! I'm such a Daddy's girl. My Dad calls me everyday and emails me too~ we are SUPER close!

KimberleyDawn
05-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Oh and since we live close to each other I see all my family (parents, brother, SIL, nephew, niece... multiple times a week and we even have a set every second Sunday standing dinner date at my parents place and everyone goes no matter what.

aguinn
05-25-2006, 09:13 AM
My mom is one of my best friends. We talk nearly every day, although when she calls now she usually just wants to talk to BB and not necessarily me! We always have things to talk about. She lives 600 miles away... I wish she lived closer.

My father, OTOH, is a dope and *never* calls me. Never. It's pretty pathetic. (My folks are divorced and remarried to other people.) I used to call him a lot, like once a week, but then I realized that he was not calling me and I just stopped. It has not seemed to faze him, as he has not stepped up his calling or asked me about it. It's been 6 years since he's remembered to call me on my birthday. Now, I call him when I am planning to go up and visit him or around his birthday and Father's Day (he lives about 200 miles away). We don't have much to say to each other on the phone - he's not a great conversationalist when he's got a piece of plastic stuck to his ear.

;)amy
momma to DS#1 "Big Brother" (BB) and, finally, DS#2 "Little Brother" (LB)

http://b3.lilypie.com/Eygrm4/.png[/img][/url]
http://b1.lilypie.com/ur0Am4/.png[/img][/url]

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~ Neil Postman

kboyle
05-25-2006, 09:54 AM
i talk to my mom everyday, if not a few times a day. i'm an only child so i'm pretty close to both of my parents. i talk to my dad about 3-4 times a week and spend all day with him on tuesdays (1 of his off days from work), then they both watch my boys when i work on wed evenings before dh comes home. and then we lunch on sat if i don't have to work, if i do, then they watch the boys and i see them again.

i think because my mother and i are so close we do argue a lot more, but it's never anything BIG, just random arguments that you would have with your spouse or best friend :)

Moneypenny
05-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Huh. I feel weird. I consider myself very close to both my mom and dad but I only talk to my mom (if you count email )1x or 2x week and my dad once every 1 or 2 months.

What do you all talk about every day?
Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

Lovingliv
05-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Usually 2 times daily...and then she usually calls Liv at bedtime....

jasabo
05-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Wow, I'm amazed at how often people talk to their parents! I had no idea I was so different where that's concerned. I voted once a month or less, and it's usually less. We get along kind of ok when we're together, but don't have much to talk about on the phone without one of us getting perturbed at the other. I hope my relationship with my boys is better.

Lisa - mom to 3 yr old twin boys