PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP ME Make an Inoformed Decision about...

denna
05-25-2006, 12:28 AM
VACCINES. I know I have seen discussions on these boards about specific vaccinations, ie MMR, Hep B, etc. However I would like to hear your views and possibly get some websites that youve looked over on the pros and cons of vaccinations. I am currently reading THE VACCINE GUIDE by Randall Neustaedter, OMD. However he suggests to also read other sources that are against vaccines and of course those that are for vaccines.
My son is about to have his 2 month check-up and I'd like to be informed about as much as I can before I go in there....You ladies are always so helpful...please help me now :)

Thanks so much....

Marisa6826
05-25-2006, 12:45 AM
There are MANY threads pertaining to the vax controversy (it's a pretty heated topic here).

Just do an advanced search in the Lounge and you will find lots and lots of information.

-m

pampamz
05-25-2006, 07:39 AM
This is such an important decision and it sounds like you are doing lots of research, which is great.

My two cents worth is this:
DS had all the mandated infant vaccines (many are standard and required for admission to school here). We opted for some but not all of the "optional" ones.

At age 9mos he contracted meningitis and was hospitalized for 8 days. He was seriously ill and we were out of our minds with fear and angst and basically in H-LL.

Needless to say, he was loaded up with pneumoccocal & meningococcal vaccine afterwards and his baby sis got ALL of the available infant shots when she came along.

So many childhood illnesses are out there, some not so serious and some can be fatal -- we all think it won't happen to our DC. I know I did and my cutie-patootie got one of the worst ones!

Good luck with your decision, and I am officially signing off my soap-box!

ajmom
05-25-2006, 08:21 AM
My feelings... I work in an elementary school and see first hand how diseases can spread so quickly. I know there are cons to receiving vaccines, but I feel that the good they do outweighs the bad.

We had a whooping cough scare at my school this year. I was so glad my own children (2 and 4) have been vaccinated against it b/c it is an extremely serious illness. There is risk involved in any decision you make. It's up to you to weight the risk v. the benefit. To me, the risk was absolutely worth it to receive the benefit of immunity.

KBecks
05-25-2006, 09:44 AM
I'd just suggest that you do look at the prior threads, which should have links in them.

Also, I'd suggest you talk over any concerns with your pediatrician. Most pedis are very, very in favor of vaccines. My pedi has a detailed sheet for each vaccine with a lot of information about each one... see what information your pedi can give you.

Lastly, if you're not sure, then I think it's OK to wait or do a modified schedule, while you take more time to make up your mind. If you're unsure, then check with your pedi about waiting a few more months while you read more and get comfortable with your decision.

I'll share that my choice was to vaccinate Alek per the standard schedule.... oh, I think we delayed his first shot because he was still struggling with gaining weight and he was low risk (first hepatitis shot?), and the pedi even said that we didn't need to worry about it right then. My pedi has also been good about waiting for shots -- for example DS was getting over a nasty cold at his 18 mo appointment, so we waited 3-4 weeks before doing the 18 month shots.

Alek will be done with his "young" shots at his 2 y.o visit, and then he's done til school age. I'm thankful, but now I get to start over with the new baby!

Oh, I will say that we skipped the flu shot. Or did I ask for a thimerisol-free flu shot? I don't totally remember.

For me, I didn't find the autism/MMR connection to be convincing, and I do love our pediatrician and trust her recommendations.

The worst part was actually subjecting Alek to the pain of the shots, but he was a real trooper and dealing with the shots was not nearly as bad as dealing with the fear/pain/guilt when he took some (normal, but scary) bad falls around the house.

maestramommy
05-25-2006, 10:42 AM
So far DD has kept to the standard schedule for vaccines. The only one I on the fence about is chicken pox. I think if she doesn't get it by 2 I'll probably go ahead and get her vaccinated. It still comes separate from the MMR if you want, and my ped doesn't want to pay extra for the combo (nice!). The diseases we vaccinate against are too serious for me to take a risk. The school I worked at had a whooping cough scare as well. Turns out a goodly number of the youngest ones didn't get vaccinated. One of the teachers got it and she was SICK!

The CDC also has a lot of research info on vaccines, although they tend to be for (of course). But it is interesting to read why/how they discount studies that shows risks of vaccines. More hard science.

kijip
05-25-2006, 10:53 AM
A search is the best way to go. There are some very detailed posts here, including an old poll.

cara1
05-26-2006, 11:58 AM
The NY Dept of Health just issued a statement about 2 cases of Measles in Long Island this month. The first was an unvaccinated two-year old. The second was a nurse in the pediatrician's office. They made note of the fact that the nurse had multiple contacts (both in and out of the doctor's office) with other people while she was incubating the virus, and DOH is attempting to contact them.

bubbaray
05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Well, personally, we chose to vax DD as per the schedule here. Its pretty much the same as the US schedule except there are a few more included (pneumoccocal and meningitis come to mind, I'm not sure if that is standard in all US states). There are no "optional" vax's here that I'm aware of (I don't think the rotovirus one is here yet).

The only one we delayed was the chickenpox vax. It is scheduled for 12m here and I delayed it to her 18m shots. DD's dr (also my dr) said do it at 12m, DH's dr said do it at 2yr, so I went with the middle ground and did it at 18m.

FWIW, DD was in the ER in Palm Springs in March with an unexplained high fever and rapid breathing. The first ? they asked us was did she have all her shots.

And, having just gone down the long, dark, horrible rotovirus tunnel, I would definitely choose to get a rotovirus vax if we had another child. That's JMHO, though.

Good luck with your decision.

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

daisymommy
05-26-2006, 05:58 PM
We are going to only do a couple of vaccines. I did a ton of research from different sources, and typed up my notes. I still have them on disk if you would like copies. Just email me.

BaileyBea
05-26-2006, 08:05 PM
The shot issue is difficult.

We decided to come up w/a schedule that would work for us. All shots were given within their scheduled time period yet we spread them out. DS never got more than two shots at a time. If he needed 4 then we gave 2 at the visit and 2 more the following week or two weeks later. We also separated the MMR. We gave him one shot each month. This was not my Drs. wishes but this is what we wanted.

I had some general rules for myself as a parent: Never give shots if they are currently sick or have been ill in the last 72 hours. Give Tylenol 10-15 mins before the shot. After the shot immediately offer comfort in a paci, being swaddled or blankie around the kiddo. Monitor the baby afterward for any rashes, reactions fevers etc.. We have never had a problem.

Good luck w/your decision!

overcome
05-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Just as an aside..chicken pox is now a vac that is required by our school district...thought that was interesting...

Ashley

denna
05-30-2006, 06:19 AM
For the 2 month check-up did you separate the DTaP into individual shots or did you just keep that as one shot?!?
Thanks I will definitely take your advice it sounds great for us, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again so much

Denna

denna
05-30-2006, 06:24 AM
You all have no idea how much all of this advice is helping me and how much I'm really going to listen to all of it and use most of it :D!!!
Just a couple last questions I have read some things about the vaccines like varicella and Hep B as being useless for infants because by the time they are truly needed (childhood or adolescence) they are no longer working in the system? And what do you think about an infant's immune system not being able to hold up against vaccines?

Everything you all have shared has truly been so helpful and I just had these couple questions left.

Thanks so much everyone...

Denna

JBaxter
05-30-2006, 06:32 AM
I cant give you stats but my oldest 2 DS had the varicella vax onboard for 3 yrs and STILL came down with HORRIBLE cases. HepB is a series of 3 shots 1 then 1 month later and 6 months later. I didnt have the series until I was 26 and worked in healthcare. My oldest just brought a paper home saying it is now required to enter high school ( shhhh my oldest is going to be a freshman). He alread has the series.