PDA

View Full Version : Need some BBB Magic for my brother

cmdunn1972
05-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Some of your nice thoughts and prayers are much appreciated. My baby (23 y.o.) brother, active enlisted in the US Air Force stationed overseas at Mildenhall AFB, just got his stuff stolen out of the trunk of his car. I'm sure he feels pretty violated right now. I just got this letter from my Dad:

I just got a call from John. While in the process of moving into his new house, his car was broken into and most of his valuables stolen. All his computer stuff including everything on his hard drive like all the pictures he has ever taken are gone. His new printer was stolen along with his camera, his lenses, his camera bag, his tripods, his stereo, his TV, his new Swiss Army watch, his flight gear, and his car stereo. He is making a list. His car was parked off base at C____’s [his girlfriend]. All his electronic gear was in the trunk and only duffle bags and piles of clothes were visible. It sounds like someone knew what he was doing and cased him. He has contacted USAA along with Police and the Air Force. Preliminary info from USAA is that they will pay up to $5200 for everything – which won’t nearly cover what he lost. He is hoping we might have records of the purchase of his Swiss Army watch. He wants us to call him back this afternoon when we get home.

TIA for your thoughts, prayers, and well-wishes. I'll keep you updated on his progress. Hopefully, they'll catch the lowlife who did this!

elliput
05-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Colleen, that is just aweful! It does sound like he was cased. USAA is a great insurance company, but I am sorry to hear that he lost more that what they may cover. :-(

cmdunn1972
05-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks, Erica. One of the things that was stolen (the camera bag), was a Christmas gift from my sister and me. Also, I get the willies thinking that some of the pictures on his computer are probably family pictures. Not to mention the posibility of ID theft!

Puddy73
05-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Sending prayers and positive vibes to your brother! How awful that this happened while he was serving our country so far from home.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
05-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Colleen my heart goes out to your brother! My car has been broken into twice and my old apartment once, all in the safery of Columbus, Ohio. In college a man broke into our house and stabbed my room mate when he got into bed with her and she tried to fight him off ( in Iowa!!).
I know what it feels like to feel violated in that way and it is a really bad feeling that probably will stay with him. Sorry to hear of his troubles and sending good thoughts his ( and your) way.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

cmdunn1972
05-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Jennifer, for the prayers and vibes.

cmdunn1972
05-25-2006, 12:45 PM
It's scary feeling so vulnerable at age 23. He's grown up so much since joining the military, but he's still at the age when it's normal to think you can take on the world just because you're young. Then, something like that happens, and you're jerked back to reality. I can't imagine how frightened your college roommate felt after such a violent incident. Especially in small towns, you never think such things will happen to you. (Which is why the Interstate sniper lunatic in Columbus a few years ago was such a shock to those residents.)