PDA

View Full Version : Bee Stings

jayali
05-25-2006, 01:50 PM
So we are headed into Bee season and I wanted to check with all of you smart mamas out there about what you have heard to do for bee stings. Matthew got stung a few weeks ago, poor guy. Luckily no reaction, but they do say the second sting is the one you need to watch out for. Anyway, I have heard that Accent, meat tenderizer, is good to neutralize the sting. Has anyone else heard that. What should I add to our first aid kit for bee stings? Hopefully we won't have to use it, but I want to be prepared.

That said, what do all of you smart mamas have in your first aid kits? Do you carry a small "kit" in your diaper bag and if so what is in that?

TIA

schums
05-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Believe it or not, Listerine is a great way to neutralize the sting. This is all we've used since a beekeeper had to come get a hive out of my parents tree. My dad got stung and the keepers just put some Listerine on it. Swelling and pain gone almost instantly.

I try to keep a little first aid kit in the diaper bag or car. Basically, some bandaids, a spray antibacterial and a spray that stops the bleeding (not sure what it's called). Haven't really ever had to use it, but I definitely take it whenever we're going to the park, etc.

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

kochh2
05-25-2006, 08:19 PM
definitely have some homeopathic Apis... it works immediately, and even takes the itching away!!

Marisa6826
05-25-2006, 08:24 PM
I'd also keep Benadryl on hand, and maybe a small pair of tweezers (good to get the stinger out, and also for splinters). Something I think all dipe bags should have. That, and Motrin (one for me, one for them!!) ;)

Oh, and I've been stung twice. The first one I was OK, the second one, I started having a big reaction to. Owies!!

-m

ShayleighCarsensMom
05-25-2006, 09:00 PM
I have heard that they dont reccomend using tweezers to get the stinger out. From what I understand it breaks the venom sac causing it to go into your body. I was told to use something like a credit card and scrape it out.

JBaxter
05-27-2006, 06:30 AM
We have used the accent in the past but I will definately try the listerine. FYI I have a friend who soaks her horses mane and tail in listerine to keep the flys away too.