PDA

View Full Version : looking for reviews of the Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed

swampnurse
05-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Does anyone have one of these? My husband has a bad back and we have completely different opinions of what makes a comfortable mattress, so i am considering one of these.

When we met four years ago he had the Tempurpedic, then he got a regular mattress, then we got a foam topper, and now he's complaining again. I love a soft, almost pillow-like mattress and he needs support. Now that i am 30 wks pregnant, i am sleeping in my old bed from my single days in the guest room b/c i am so uncomfortable on our "supportive" mattress. Ridiculous!

Other than getting two twins to put together, which i don't want, the Sleep Number sounds like a good choice. I saw that the Radisson hotels have them and am considering spending a night there!

Any advice?

m448
05-26-2006, 12:45 PM
yes we own one precisely for the reasons you mentioned - hubby's had 2 back surgeries for herniated disks. We did the temperpedic topper on our old mattress but it was too hot and really didn't make a dent on our firm beauty rest mattress.

Then we bought an aero bed topper that's meant to simulate a sleep number bed but it began to leak. Finally sprung for the bed 2 years ago and man what a difference! This time around my pregnancy was actually bearable with an adjustable firmness mattress. I love it and hubby likes it much better than our previous situations.

DebbieJ
05-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Love it, love it, love it!

My DH and I have teh same situation you do--he likes it more firm, I like it more soft. We got a sleep number 7000 a year and a half ago and I can't imagine every owning a different bed.

Do a search--there's lots of us here who love ours.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

holliam
05-26-2006, 12:50 PM
LOVE OURS! Same thing--I like it firm; he likes it soft and our old bed was actually half firm/half soft (designed for couples like us) but we couldn't find one like it again so we moved on to the Sleep Number. We have the high-end king one, and it is so awesome!

Holli

swampnurse
05-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks! i did a search before i posted and came up with a million threads about co-sleeping! :)

I will continue researching. How do i figure out which model to get. The 9000 looks like it's just got too many bells and whistles and is so thick we'd never get sheets to stay on it! The website says the 5000 is the most popular. Why did you pick the 7000?

swampnurse
05-26-2006, 01:13 PM
do i need to buy a special boxspring? i'm hoping to use ours since it is only 3 years old.

swampnurse
do i need to buy a special boxspring? i'm hoping to use ours since it is only 3 years old.

Mommy_Again
LOVE IT! In fact, DH said if we ever got a divorce, all he wants is the bed. Its' *that* good.

Mommy_Again
LOVE IT! In fact, DH said if we ever got a divorce, all he wants is the bed. Its' *that* good.

m448
05-26-2006, 01:16 PM
The bed comes with its own special box spring but you will need your bed frame or you could buy the leg kit (which we did since we went from a queen to a king).

Marielle

Ian - born 10/03
&
Ryan - born 01/06

m448
05-26-2006, 01:16 PM
The bed comes with its own special box spring but you will need your bed frame or you could buy the leg kit (which we did since we went from a queen to a king).

Marielle

Ian - born 10/03
&
Ryan - born 01/06

AngelaS
05-26-2006, 01:57 PM
We have one and LOVE it! Dh has his at about 65 and mine's on about 35. I sleep SO well on my bed and dread anytime that we have to travel and I don't get to sleep on my bed.

I think we have the second from the bottom model...4000? :D

DebbieJ
05-26-2006, 02:59 PM
The 4000 is a new model.

Do you have a store near you? We got the 7000 because that's what felt the best to us. You're right about the 9000--it's really just too much bed! On the 5000, it still felt too much like an air mattress to me, so we got the 7000. All we needed was their platform, as we had just bought a new king size bed with side rails.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

tarabenet
05-26-2006, 04:17 PM
We jokingly call our Sleep Number Bed "The secret to a successful marriage". DH loves a super soft mattress (was sleeping on an underfilled baffle-less waterbed before we met), and I like firm support. The bed is perfect. And even better, I can adjust for a softer nest when I'm sore, bloated, etc.

But yeah, if you aren't sure, go sleep on one for a night.

We have gotten several friends to buy them. Only one was not satisfied, and it turned out that he bought the cheapest model. Ours is the second from the top. But the top one has a single wireless remote, while ours has separate remotes connected to the bed, so they don't get lost. I suggest that one.

wimama
05-26-2006, 05:06 PM
I also have a Select Comfort bed. My husband and I love the bed. I is the most comfortable mattress I have slept on.

The only thing I don't like about it is that there is a depression where we lay. Particularly on my side of the bed. I don't think I move around much when I sleep and I think that the topcover padding compressed in this area. I keep meaning to call the store and ask about that. It looks kind of funny when the bed is made. You can see the depressions.

Does anyone else have depressions on the bed in the spot where they sleep?

Edited to add- I just remembered a really important positive about the bed for us. Its easy to move. We live in a old house with a staircase that turns twice going up. A queen size box spring does not make it up stairs. The select comfort boxspring is plastic and breaks down into several pieces. That makes it alot easier to move. That is what originally caused us to spring for the new bed.

tarabenet
05-26-2006, 06:22 PM
On DH's side, yes. But in our case it is just because he keeps his side at such a low number. If I inflate it more, it fills in. Don't know if that has anything to do with what is happening with yours, though.

ohiomom
05-26-2006, 09:01 PM
We've had a knock-off brand bought online for many years now. Wish we had bit the bullet and bought the Select Comfort instead as we could have afforded it back then, but not now with the cost of daycare! :) It has been a marriage saver for us. I totally agree that you need 2 controls. I love sleeping on it while pregnant -- I can make it soft enough, yet supportive enough to still be sleeping on my stomach at around 22-23 weeks.

JElaineB
05-26-2006, 10:14 PM
I will completley ditto what Deb said. We got the 7000 just over a year ago and love it. The 9000 was "too much" and the 5000 did still feel like an air mattress, I could feel the air bladder rolling underneath me. The 7000 was just right. We bought their platform too and used our old bed frame. The ONLY thing I didn't like was that the foam off-gassed a lot in the first couple of months and I think it caused me to have some wheezing episodes (which I am prone to with any irritant or after a cold). But we love it now.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB
05-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Does it bother you when you are sleeping or only how it looks when the bed is made? If it is only when the bed is made, I think ours has a "max fill" button that automatically pumps it up to 100 to get it to look firm when no one is in it. Then when you lay down at night you can press the memory button to get it back to your sleep number setting.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

wimama
05-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Yes, my sleep number is usualy pretty low around 40 -45. I did increase it since Joseph was born, so the bed would be flatter.

I never thought about filling to the max. I think I will do that when we have guest so the bed will look nice when people come over. Since we found our number, I don't really mess with the remote much. I just store it in the nightstand drawer.

I do really love the bed. I don't think I would have slept much during the last trimester of my pregnancy without the bed. I had alot of lower back/hip pain and I think the bed helped alot. I know I sure couldn't wait to get out of that hospital bed and back to my comfy bed at home.

emilys_mom
05-27-2006, 08:35 AM
We just got ours about 2 months ago as a last attempt to find a way to sleep together. I need a more firm bed, and DH likes his softer. It's wonderful. We did get the 5000. All I can think now, is where was this when I was pregnant???

swampnurse
05-27-2006, 04:19 PM
WOW! i'm overwhelmed by the positive response. Now i just have to come up w/ the $$$!

Thank you all so much!

DebbieJ
05-27-2006, 04:29 PM
When we bought ours they had free financing for a year. :)

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

set81616
05-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Go into the store and give them your info. Soon after (it was a week or 2 for us) you'll get a card in the mail to buy last years models up tp 50% off. You'll need a box frame (box springs don't work) and the legs. Both you can get much cheaper at a discount bed or furniture store. We got a king and double for less than the price of a queen in the store.
HTH
Shannon