PDA

View Full Version : Options for allergic reactions to grass (eczema)

s_gosney
05-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Poor dd has a pretty bad allergy to grass it seems. The past two summers, she's had these bumps all over her feet that we hadn't been able to pin down a cause for, but now I think I've gotten it figured out. It's grass that causes it and our ped says it's eczema...looks different from her other eczema, but who am I to argue? So, we have some t-strap canvas shoes that work okay for outdoors, but when she wears her sandals out and about (often when I don't think we'll be outdoors), she gets the bumps on the sides where the openings in her sandals are. And the bumps seem to itch a lot. I had to give her benadryl last night to help her get back to sleep after she woke up scratching. :(
I guess I just want to know if there's an option I don't know about. She's on claritin daily, and while that's helping with her seasonal allergies (watery, itchy eyes and itcy, sneezing nose), it doesn't seem to be helping the eczema flare-ups. I could I suppose always keep her tennis shoes in the car for those random outdoor playtimes. She gets the bumps on her legs too though if she has on anything but pants. Surely there's something else to do other than completely keeping her out of the grass...or is there? Thanks so much for any suggestions!

bubbaray
05-26-2006, 01:03 PM
We use a 1% steriod cream (cortaide? not sure) that is an Rx here, but I think it is OTC in the US. That's what DD's dr told us to use on similar rashes that she gets (more from hugging our dog).

Is it all grasses? Or just some? Maybe its fertilizer? Just guessing. We've stopped using fertilizer, weed control, moss control or pesticide on our back yard and I think all we're doing this year to the front yard is moss control. It seems to be helping DD. Its better for the environment anyway (though all our neighbors seem to fertilize the heck out of their lawns!).

HTH

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

miki
05-26-2006, 01:17 PM
If the Claritin is not helping, maybe she's not having an allergic reacton to the grass. It could be that her skin is getting irritated from the grass or something on it. This is a distinction my ped made to my mom when I was little and got a rash from chlorine in pool water. And also said that kids usually outgrow irritations but not necessarily allergies.

You could see if rinsing her feet legs right after she finishes playing in the grass helps to wash off whatever about the grass is causing the rash. It wouldn't be a big deal to fill an empty juice or milk jug with water and keep it in your trunk.

Good luck!

miki
05-26-2006, 01:17 PM
If the Claritin is not helping, maybe she's not having an allergic reacton to the grass. It could be that her skin is getting irritated from the grass or something on it. This is a distinction my ped made to my mom when I was little and got a rash from chlorine in pool water. And also said that kids usually outgrow irritations but not necessarily allergies.

You could see if rinsing her feet legs right after she finishes playing in the grass helps to wash off whatever about the grass is causing the rash. It wouldn't be a big deal to fill an empty juice or milk jug with water and keep it in your trunk.

Good luck!

cara1
05-26-2006, 03:14 PM
I'd suggest seeing a dermatologist.

s_gosney
05-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks for all of the info ladies. We have some sort of cream that is Rx that we use after the breakouts, but I'm hoping for something more preventative.
I think I may indeed look into seeing a dermatologist. Thanks!

crl
05-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Definitely talk to a dermatologist. I agree with washing her feet and legs right after exposure. I get a rash after contact with certain common garden plants. It helps a lot if I wash up as soon as I'm done in the garden. There is a cream that "blocks" exposure to poison ivy, not sure of the name. You might ask the dermatologist about applying this before she goes out to play.

Good luck!

ColorBlue
05-27-2006, 10:34 PM
There is a cleanser called Tecnu or Technu that washes the poison ivy oils off, maybe that is what you are thinking of?