PDA

View Full Version : OT: Lip stains -- what brand, or skip it?

chrissyhowie
05-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Okay, makeup gurus...I have a $30 Sephora gift card and a sudden desire to get some lip stain :*. I've never used the stuff before. Normally I use Cover Girl Outlast on my lips, but want something more sheer for summer. I really want something that I apply just once in the morning, which will last for a long while (hence why I like the CG Outlast). Do lip stains work that way?

Here's a link for the Sephora selection:
http://tinyurl.com/rgt95

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks in advance :).

new_mommy25
05-26-2006, 01:49 PM
I love Benetint.

dotgirl
05-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Lip stains are long lasting, but unlike lipstick or lip gloss, they have no shine at all - they are pure matte colour. You can use a lip stain and layer it with some gloss for a nice look.

Something else to note - the colours on the package are *never* correct. Unless you've already seen and tried a colour on your skin, you shouldn't buy online.

That being said, I really like the stila stuff.

TraciG
05-26-2006, 02:29 PM
MAC- Pro Longwear Lipcolour

I don't think they sell it there BUT it goes on & dries on your lips then it has lipgloss, it lasts all day ! I even have it on a little after washing my face & sleeping all night !!!!!!!!!!!

jesseandgrace
05-26-2006, 07:26 PM
I love benetint, and I love lip stain. It is definitely worth it! But, I am a low maintenance kind of make-up person so I don't reapply lipstick ever throughout the day.

chrissyhowie
05-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I am remembering now that I tried Benetint once a long time ago because my sister had it. I didn't apply it well, so I ended up with a funny splotch on my cheek which I had trouble getting off!

Even with that history, I am leaning toward getting the Benetint (never used it on my lips), but will try the other brands/shades when I go to the store. I was going to walk there this afternoon, but the rain had other plans :(.

I am definitely a low-maintenance kind of gal when it comes to makeup, but I am good about reapplying lip balm if needed, so the lip stain sounds perfect to me. Thanks again for your help!

supercalifragilous
05-26-2006, 11:20 PM
After DD Was born, I stopped wearing lipstick so I was in a similar search to find a lip stain that wouldn't rub off.

I used BeneTint for years but I got bored of the color so here are the ones I've tried:

Nars Color Wash: LOVE THIS. Nars is highly pigmented and it lasts a REALLY long time. Comes in a nail polish bottle just like BeneTint.

Lorac Sheer Wash (travel size): This was nice. Color didn't last as long and is too deep to use on cheeks with my fair complexion. Since it has a rollerball applicator, I'd still have to use a brush or doefoot to make sure the color went on evenly though.

Philosophy Supernatural: Color is very sheer like Benetint but the doefoot applicator is very convenient. Color doesn't last as long, either.

Vincent Longo Gel Stain: Doefoot applicator, strong color, and lasts a loooooooong time just like Nars.

Body Shop has a marker-type lip stain (like the Urban Decay and Sephora ones) that's inexpensive but it dries out quickly so it probably costs the same as these higher end ones in the long run.

The one thing I have to say is to start out with well-moisturized lips to prevent flaking. These stains really dry my lips out and I actually live in a humid climate. I usually top the stain with Lansinoh or Aquaphor. They really keep my lips from drying out and looks like a clear gloss. (Well, Lansinoh looks like gloss, Aquaphor looks like balm.) I get asked all the time "what lipstick are you wearing?"

Just my $0.02.

jesseandgrace
05-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Aquaphor is the best for lips! I do the same thing, lip stain and aquaphor when I am well organized and can find the aquaphor!

chrissyhowie
05-27-2006, 12:56 PM
I happened to pass by Sephora on my way to the park today with the kids. I ended up getting the Benetint because Jonas started to get fussy in the store, so I couldn't try anything else on. I wish I could have sampled the Nars shades -- sounds perfect!

I love the idea of using Lansinoh on top of the stain! For whatever reason, I'm not having to use the Lansinoh for breastfeeding all that much this time around. So I know I'm going to end up with a lot left over. I use it on my cuticles when I go to bed, but this is another way for me to use the stuff up. Thanks so much for your suggestions!