PDA

View Full Version : People in Cleveland- thoughts on the general area

knaidel
05-26-2006, 04:25 PM
We are currently living in Chicago and are looking to move in a year from now. Cleveland is one of the cities that is on our list. After some preliminary research, we’re considering the University Heights and Cleveland Heights neighborhoods (we’re Jewish and keep a kosher home, so these neighborhoods have the amenities we’d need: kosher groceries, Jewish schools, synagogues, etc..)

We’re planning a trip to Cleveland this summer, but I’d like to hear from people who live there- overall what do you think of the city? Do you like living there? Is there stuff for kids? How is the public transportation (my guess is that in Cleveland, you really need two cars, which we don’t need in Chicago). In particular, if you’re familiar with with either of these neighborhoods, then what do you think of them? What’s the safety like? What would the commute be like to downtown? One thing we don’t like about our neighborhood in Chicago is that in the past few years, it’s gotten a bit “rough around the edges.� Although it’s still relatively safe, there have been a few incidents, including gang violence and drug dealing, and we’d like to avoid that, especially if we’re going to be buying.

Our estimation (please correct me if we’re wrong) is that Cleveland, while still a fairly large and diverse city, is still more friendly and slower-paced than other large cities. Any thoughts on this?

Love to hear your opinions! Thanks!

ohiomom
05-26-2006, 09:44 PM
UH and CH are fine places to live, but also check out Shaker Heights and Beachwood. Same general area you are looking into, but the public schools have better reputations if you think you'll go public instead of private. Being Jewish, you'll definitely feel more "at home" on the East side of the city instead of the west side since most everyone Jewish lives East side. We lived in Shaker Hts, right across the street from University Heights when we 1st moved to the area and really liked it a lot. (Look for John Carroll University on a map -- we lived right by it. That area (UH/SH) is terrific.

Greater Cleveland is a great, affordable place to raise kids IMO. On your visit if you have any free time, check out the Children's museum, zoo, etc. Lots of great parks, Shaker Lakes, the Cleveland Metropark system,etc. are fantastic.

It is helpful to have 2 cars, but depending where you land, you may be able to get away with 1. The Rapid (train) runs through Shaker to downtown and is very convenient. The bus system also runs, but the hours are relatively limited in some areas. I don't know website offhand, but the public transportation system is dubbed RTA, so if you google Cleveland RTA you should easily find it and it could help guide your search for housing. Driving downtown isn't too bad -- though there are a few main arteries that get you there, so busy at rush hours. Won't be anything compared to Chicago, though.

Safety is good in all of these areas. Cle Hts maybe slightly less so in some areas. Housing prices haven't kept pace as well in Cle Hts compared to UH and UH less than Shaker or Beachwood. As a result you'll pay less, but expect less when it's time to sell.

I love Chicago and regret that we never had the opportunity to live there to experience it more than a weekend getaway or business trip. However, I think you are right that Cleveland is slower paced and generally a family-friendly area to reside.

Feel free to pm me if you want more details or want to talk in person, etc.

ribbit1019
05-26-2006, 11:49 PM
I hope I don't repeat anything!

But I would add Lyndhurst to your list to check out too. They have a great school system and it is a very nice area, great parks, pools, and community center. The outdoor mall, Legacy Village, has some high end stores new to us here in NEO and very nice layout. There is a very prominent Jewish Community there. A little less pricey than Beachwood, but not much.

Also Lyndhurst and Beachwood are a lot closer to the highway than University Hts, Shaker Hts and Cleveland Hts which would cut down on car commuting time. You are looking at about a 25-35 min commute to downtown.

The farther you get away from the city the less "issues" you will have. Beachwood/Lyndhurst being the safest. University Hts. is close to East Cleveland (which you want to avoid) so make sure you are aware of the surrounding areas i.e. how close you are to East Cleveland. However the city offers a lot in the way of museums and parks, it does have it's perks if you wind up in the right area.

Another note on Shaker Heights they just built a huge gorgeous Synagogue there, has to redo part of the "circle" because of it. So pretty though. A lot of University Hosp/Cleveland Hts and College students live in the Univeristy Hts/Shaker Hts area.

Oh! And Great Lakes Science Center is a great see for kids too. I took my now 9 yr old cousin a couple of years ago and she had a blast!! It also has an IMAX theater.

I wish we had a better transit system, I have always found any other metro area we visit is so much more connected than Cleveland is.

In Cleveland Hts, there are areas that are rough and unless you have an awesome agent helping you, you may wind up in one of them (we almost did). The downtown area is very quaint though, little shops and a great theater that hosts Indie films and such.

Great Hospitals on the East Side too!! Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals are both awesome.

I like living here, but we are too close to downtown for my taste, a little more rough around the edges than I would prefer. But overall Cleveland is a great city, but I have not lived in any other Metro areas. Grew in rural OH myself. :)

GL! Feel free to email me too!

ETA: answers to a couple more questions.

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
& Jarred 3/8/06, 14 lb 24 1/2" @ 10 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

hez
05-27-2006, 07:14 AM
I grew up on the west side, went to CWRU for undergrad. I'd agree that my exposure to Jewish families was limited 'til I got to college. All the cities the pp have mentioned are what I would have suggested.

They're right-- you do have to be careful if you get too close to East Cleveland. If we got too far off campus it got pretty shady pretty quickly. However, by being relatively smart about things, I personally never had a problem in 4 years.

The University Circle area has lots to do-- the museums, the symphony... Love what's gone on downtown with the Rock N Roll HOF, the Great Lakes Science Center. And you've also got Rainbow Babies & Children's right there with UH. I don't know what kind of shape the zoo's in now, but that was pretty much my favorite field trip as a kid.

We were always a 2 car family. Even when Mom wasn't working she needed a car for errands. There are neighborhoods here and there where you can get your errands done without a car, but in suburbia where I lived that wasn't an option. The Rapid can be great (I used it quite a bit on weekends-- Dad would pick me up at Brookpark on his way home from work in Parma), but it's not 24-7. Lots of commuters do use it-- I always had to share a seat going home at rush hour. My bus use was limited-- it was usually after the Rapid was closed for the night, so that colors my opinion a bit! I never had a car on campus, and survived.

I always think of Cleveland as a friendly city, but that's 'cause I miss home :)

Good luck!

ribbit1019
05-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Glad you haven't crossed us Hez. ;) I think that whole Cinci/Cleveland rivarly is something journalists make up anyway. It's more Cleveland/Pittsburgh right??

The zoo is still in awesome shape, they've done some renovation in the last few years adding an Austrailian themed area for kids and redoing the Elephant's building (which was in dire need). There are still renovations going on though, just because of the age of zoo, one bridge in particular comes to mind, but that have it partitioned off so there aren't any safety issues. The Rainforest, a seperate part of the zoo, is a must see too.

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04

hez
05-27-2006, 06:02 PM
How could I forget the Rainforest? It was pretty new when I left-- we had thought about using it for our sorority formal my senior year. Had Formal at the Jake instead :) Do they still do the 'Best of the Class' (or whatever they call it) where the top kids from area HS's toss their caps at the zoo & then they play those spots all May/June? I think an elephant was less than appropriate in my spot ;)

Yup-- Cleveland/Pittsburgh was always the big rivalry when I was growing up. Of course, now that the Bengals actually learned how to play football, things could heat up :P

ribbit1019
05-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Yeah, they still have those awful spots. LOL, they have changed locations though, the last couple of years they've been on the steps at Tower City.

You're the Best....of the class....this year....

Rainforest is gorgeous, I wanted to have my wedding reception there, DH nixed it because they keep it at 76 degrees and 100% humidity. He can't take the heat, especially in a monkey suit. ;)

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04