PDA

View Full Version : My baby just lied to me!

alexsmommy
05-26-2006, 09:19 PM
I know it's normal, but it's the first time he just looked me dead in the eye and lied. He wanted a bubble bath and I told him no. We try to limit frequency due to his eczema. I went to get his pjs and when I came back in the bathroom the bubble bath bottle was empty and there were bubbles in the tub. I looked at him and said, "Alex, did you touch the bubble bath after Mommy said 'No'?" He looked right at me and said "No". I realized we've never really discussed the difference between a lie and the truth. I let out the water and ran a bath without bubbles (much to his chagrin since that meant it was that much longer until he could get in) and at bedtime we tackled this new frontier. What happened to my tiny baby? The good thing is, for his age, he seemed to get it and made really good comments such as, "Mommy, I was sad I would get in trouble. I didn't want to get in trouble and be more sad." We talked about how Mommy will always be less "not happy" if he tells me what he did instead of lying. Again, where did the time go? It feels like he was just curled up on my chest napping last week.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

JElaineB
05-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Three is such a great age, isn't it? :) I agree where did the time go? But I do think it is kind of funny how instinctual (sp?) lying seems to be!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

brittone2
05-26-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure if it will make you feel any better, but I've heard that when kids start lying, it really is because developmentally, they think that they can sort of create their own truth, kwim? It is as though whatever they are lying about actually happened in their brain. I don't think I'm explaining it well, but he's still your sweet and innocent baby...he's just getting more...ahem...creative in his thinking ;) You know that already though from what you've said.

They do grow up so fast....so, so fast. In a few years it will be all the things that teenagers do and you'll be wishing for the bubble bath fibs :)

If only they could still be small cuddly newborns napping on our chests...I agree :)

Toba
05-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Aww, how absolutely precious ... how sweet that he gets the difference. :)

My two year old fibs about having a doodie diaper. He's not a fan of having the doodies cleaned out, so he'll fib about it if I ask. I can usually tell before I even ask, so I make a big production out of checking and gasp, then say, "Did you tell Mommy a fib ... you *do* have doodies!" And he giggles uncontrollably.

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

mudder17
05-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Ha, ha, I remember the first time Kaya did that--it was quite a few months ago and I think she was partly teasing me. But she came into the room where I was and it looked like she had taken something from my bedstand. I looked at her and I asked her, "Did you take mommy's thermometer?" She looks straight up at me with her hands behind her back, grins, and says, "No." Then she slowly backs out the door and runs into DH. It was pretty funny.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 27 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!