PDA

View Full Version : Rash under DD's neck...

Emmas Mom
05-27-2006, 10:56 PM
I just discovered tonight that my little super chunk (DD#2) has a rash of sorts underneath the folds on her neck/chin. I'm guessing it's because she either sweats a little, dribbles milk or drool, or maybe even a little excess water from after her bath (drying all her little rolls is so challenging! lol). It was pretty red & looked like it would irritate her. I cleaned it very gently, dried it the best I could & put some cornstarch on it. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what (if anything) else I can do? I was thinking putting something like Aquaphor on it wouldn't really help? Maybe Desitin? I don't know. I hate to think it's hurting her. Any ideas?

BaileyBea
05-27-2006, 11:20 PM
My son had this too. He had multiple chins. When we discovered it we cleaned it really well and put a very thin layer of Aquaphor on it and it was gone in two days. From then on we cleaned it as part of our evening routine.

I think you should just keep it simple and not put too much stuff on it that collects moisture. We only used the Aquaphor because his skin was peeling a little bit where it was red.

EllasMum
05-28-2006, 12:00 AM
My DD also had this - I think I got some bubble bath in there and didn't dry it well enough so it irritated her skin. I did like you and just sprinkled some cornstarch on my hand and then sort of wiped it on the area and by the next morning it had cleared up!

dhano923
05-28-2006, 03:01 AM
My daughter gets this sometimes (also has multiple chins LOL). After her bath, I use a dry washcloth to dry her neck -- I put a toy or something just above her eye level so she stretches her neck upwards to try and look at the toy. It stretches her skin and makes it easier to dry. I also put baby powder with cornstarch on her neck to help with chafing.

JBaxter
05-28-2006, 06:02 AM
My DS 2 was a super chunk and in the summers I had to make sure I dried all the creases and dusted them w/ cornstarch. Thats what cleared it up for us.

jennabear
05-28-2006, 06:17 AM
I love Goldbond medicated powder. It clears DD's neck up pretty fast.

Emmas Mom
05-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks ladies, I appreciate the responses. Today it still seems really red & irritated. Almost like it's "oozing" for lack of a better word. I'm not sure how to keep it dry. It's really hard to get her to look up. I did the clean & dry gently again & followed with more cornstarch. I guess I'll keep doing that a few times a day & hopefully it'll resolve. If not, I guess on Tuesday I'll be calling her ped to see what more they recommend. Gotta love our little super chunks!

emilyf
05-28-2006, 01:52 PM
My dd gets this, and it's usually a spot of yeast rash in which case the cornstarch could actually make it worse (food for the yeast). I have some anti-fungal that my ped gave me for diaper rash that clears it right up-it's prescription but I think lotrimin might work too. If it smells a bit cheesy that might be it-dd gets it pretty often, and she is prone to it in diaper regions too.
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

maestramommy
05-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Try Aquaphor. My ped recently said Eucerin claims it helps diaper rash, so why not this?

DD had this problem also when she was a newborn. Sometime we'd find skin grim in the folds (We called it neck cheese LOL!) and it would be very red. But cleaning and airing it out took care of it.