PDA

View Full Version : OMG....I'm officially a SAHM now! Any advice?

lmwbasye
05-28-2006, 01:59 PM
DS is 19 months and I teach kindergarten and I worked all last summer. School ended on Friday and the Army is moving us this summer, so I'm currently between jobs and probably won't be working until September. Therefore, I'm a SAHM for the 1st time since my maternity leave.

I have always wanted to do this and this is my first opportunity, but now that it's here, I'm terrified. I'm a teacher for a reason (can't sit still) and am worried I'll go a bit crazy without a ton to do. I'm used to lesson plans and days packed with constant activitiy.

Any tips or advice? Of course, I'll be prepping for the move a bit and already take DS to Gymboree but not sure what else to do or expect.

TIA!

kedss
05-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Get some time for yourself!!!!!! at least once a day, you need at least an hour or two outside the house on your own. It deosn't happen as much as I need it to, but its good for you! :)

Play outside!! A lot. :)

Make friends with some other moms as soon as you get to where you are going, and make sure you have IRL folks to hang out with.

hth! Have fun! :)

kristenk
05-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Try to get out of the house and go somewhere (not just outside in the front yard) every day! Having an outing somehow makes the day more interesting and easier. Go to the park. Go to a bookstore. Go to the pet store and look at the fishies. Just go somewhere! (Note: It's easier to go places that you don't actually NEED to go. Going shopping at the grocery store is not as much fun as wandering after your little one at the bookstore.)

Does your public library have story time? Barnes & Noble (and, I think, Borders) also have weekly story times. Story time is a great place to meet other moms.

Check out your town's public recreation department. A lot of rec depts. offer art, music, tumbling, swimming etc. classes for little ones. Do you have a town (or base) pool or, better yet, a backyard pool? Spend time splashing the water. DD had swimming lessons last year when she was about 1.5 and she adored the shallow wading pool. Which reminds me, get a wading pool for your yard and let him splash around in it!

It really helps me (and DD) to have a general routine for the day. Snack is usually around 10am (depending on wake-up time), lunch is noon and nap starts at 1pm. Our longest block of non-sleeping time is in the morning. If I'm really trying to get errands done, I'll try to do them then. We usually stay closer to home after nap in the afternoon.

Okay, I think I'm just rambling on, so I'll stop! :) Good luck and have fun this summer!

megs4413
05-28-2006, 04:44 PM
I think the fact that you can't sit still will actually help you SAH with a 19 month old! They don't want to sit still either!

Ditto on the getting out. For financial reasons we only get out a couple times a week but it's a lifesaver! I also host a mommy group once a week so we don't actually get to leave the house but I do have grown ups to talk to!

I second the pp about the scheduling. If we didn't have a schedule our days would be MORE boring and not less. we don't have a terribly strict schedule but eating and playing times are kind of regulated.

Make sure you plan out what you will do during DS's nap! I don't know how long he sleeps or what his napping schedule is (1 or 2), but it's crucial to have something to do with your time. I allow myslef one tv show a day (days of our lives, i know it's cheesy but i loooove it) and I get to watch that during DD's nap for an hour while I fold laundry in front of the tube. I also use nap time to do other household chores like sweeping and mopping and dishes and laundry and to pick up the play room. I also eat my lunch while DD naps. this is particularly nice because I get to have all my food for myself and eat what I want (instead of eating just what I can share with DD since she won't allow me to eat and not give her some!).

my aunt shared a tip with me one time that said, never attempt to get more than three things done during the day. I thought this sounded crazy but it works in reality. When I plan too much for my day I get frustrated and overwhelmed. If i only plan a few things, I feel a sense of accomplishment when I get them all done and I am more relaxed.

one last thing....GET DRESSED! one of the most depressing and difficult things is when you don't even take the time to shower and dress yourself. I dress all the way to my shoes and I get DD dressed as soon as she gets up as well. This may seem simple and stupid, but really, it changes my whole mood and outlook on the day.

Have fun being with your little guy! It will be a fun summer for you both.

maestramommy
05-29-2006, 12:01 PM
I was a teacher too and constantly on the go. First of all, relax! Treat it as if Spring break had unexpectedly come on you. What would you do then? Or Summer Vacation if you want it to last longer LOL!

Joining a local moms group helped me tremendously. Between that and music class we have 2 scheduled outings a week. But since your DS is older there's probably a lot more you're able to do.

ETA: agree with pps about routine. It actually makes the day go faster. I also have a few shows I love (CSI, Criminal Minds, etc) that I tape the night before and watch during naps, since she takes more than one. Or I clean and get chores done during her naps.

HAVE FUN!

bunnisa
05-29-2006, 01:28 PM
am worried I'll go
>a bit crazy without a ton to do. I'm used to lesson plans and
>days packed with constant activitiy.

uhh... no need to worry about those things! You'll be amazed by how much there is to do when you're home with your son.

My suggestion would be to give it a couple of weeks and see what your lives look like before you commit to any scheduled activities. You might find that your routine changes a bit now that you have more flexibility for nap times, meal times, etc. Once you're used to your new routine, you'll better be able to see where activities will fit.

This is a great time to tap into any "homemaker" interests you might have -- I love to cook, bake, sew, & garden, and being home gives me more time to pursue those interests. I read and research while the DC take a nap and then include them (well the oldest, anyway!) in the activities.

Bethany
blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

MamaKath
05-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Congratulations!!! Asd a fellow Kindy teacher, I would say relax. Plan to check out you new area with ds. Find story times, moms groups, etc. You will get used to it, it is a completely different kind of activity from the classroom though. Create a routine, it will help immensely!!!

I can't wait for our school to end so I can be a SAHM to my kids for a few weeks.