PDA

View Full Version : Bird Flu Question

Tracey
05-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Let me start by saying that I know next to nothing about bird flu. Keep that in mind because this is probably a really dumb question. My MIL has a peach faced love bird named KIWI that my daughter adores. She holds this bird constantly when she is over there. This is the sweetest bird ever to let a three year old torment him so. He is a house bird who only leaves his cage for cleanings and when people play with him. Should I be worried about this bird?

writermama
05-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Not an expert, but I've been reading about it, so here what I've been lead to believe:
In the case you describe, almost certainly not.

There have only been a few recorded cases of avian flu passing from birds to humans. Although there has been a good deal of speculation that flocks of wild birds will spread the avian version of the disease, to date, most of the spreading seems to be the result of illegal transportation of infected chicks (the cases follow roads and rail lines instead of migration patterns and can be linked to farmers selling the chicks instead of destroying them). The avian version if the disease spreads and thrives in conditions where birds are crowded together (think modern poultry farms).

So the chances of a domestic "house bird" coming in contact with the disease are slim to none. After that, the chances of an infected bird passing the disease to a human are moderately slim. Add to that, that (as far as I know to date) there have been no reports of the bird version of the disease reaching North America, yet, and I'd say if it were my child, I wouldn't be worried.

Now, you might want to consult a vet to find out if there are any other conditions the bird might pass to a child, but the only things I can think to worry about are pecks and scratches.

Tracey
05-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks, Karen, for the info and for taking the time to write all that out. I think that bird is in more danger from her than the the other way around! ;-)

MamaKath
05-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Karen, you must be reading a ton on this. ;-) I am dying to get chickens and can't find enough info about it to feel safe doing it!!! I was talking recently with an Amish gentleman we know and he asked if I had gotten them yet. I mumbled something about the birdflu and still debating. Boy did he give me a weird look!!! It wasn't til later I thought about the fact that he doesn't have a tv to have knowledge of it, lol. Duh!!!

writermama
05-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Hee hee. I've met some Amish who secretly have telephones, but I've never (yet) met one who had a TV. I imagine it makes life more peaceful to not get all of that sensationalism mixed with the news.

We buy our eggs from a couple out in the country who keep a free-range backyard flock. My DD loves to go get eggs because we go to see the chickens. I started reading up to find out if it was still safe to take her there when all of the "oooooooh scary!" stories started on the news. So far, at least, it seems like it is. The media seems to have done us a disservice over this one by turning what truly is a serious issue into a case of crying wolf.

A free-range backyard flock is probably safe -- safer even than commercial free-range chickens because backyard flocks are usually less crowded. Just don't go buying your chicks from someone selling them by the side of the road in Asia or Africa. ;)

I'll see if I can find some links for you.

ETA: I haven't found the articles I read before, but I found a publication that might help you. In March 2006, this organization published a primer for small scale farmers. If you go to their website and search for avian flu, in the list of articles, there's one called "Dead Birds Don't Fly" that you can download as a PDF.

http://www.iatp.org/

ETA: Another one, less reassuring than some, but offers a few concrete steps to track and prevent infection of a flock; http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0227-28.htm

ETA: Here's a short one that talks about the spread by factory farming not wild migration, but I still can't find the one I'm thinking of. http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0226-02.htm

ETA: Aha! Here's one I was looking for. March LA Times - reprinted here: http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0312-27.htm