PDA

View Full Version : OT - Best party favor(s) your DC has received

MrsZaz
05-29-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm trying to think of something new to give out as party favors for my Ds's 4th birthday party. Has anyone received something that was new, unique or soemthing their child still uses/plays with?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Colleen Z.

ps. The party theme is cars but I don't feel like I have to get soemthing that goes with that.

Twin Mom
05-29-2006, 02:41 PM
One of our friends gave each child a flashlight (with batteries) that she decorated with their name (paint pens) and gender appropriate stickers. She tied a balloon around each one. I think she got the flashlights at the dollar store although I don't remember seeing them there any time I've been there. I think this is a pretty fun idea that isn't too expensive.

We just went to a party this weekend where each child received a dinosaur wooden puzzle. I don't know where my friend bought them but it was something a little different.

I am very tired of getting bags with candy a bunch of little junk and would like to do 1 big thing as well for my twins 4th b-day party favor.

neeter
05-29-2006, 02:42 PM
we received a little plastic gardening set, with shovels and watering can. it was great and my son uses it all the time. we even brought it to hawaii!

kcandz
05-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Similar idea - we recently recieved small strawberry plant in a pot. I thought that was very nice idea - something that grows and theoretically gives fruit to feed us - we'll see if it really continues to fruit. I plan on stealing this idea for next year's party.

Corie
05-29-2006, 03:03 PM
My daughter gave out disposable cameras and Mickey Mouse/Minnie Mouse
photo albums at her 4th birthday party last year.

I bought the Mickey Mouse photo albums off Ebay. I bought
24 of them for like $10.
Maybe they have some race car photo albums??

Or you could buy these photo albums and print off your
own 4" x 6" race car cover for the front of the album.

http://www.archivalusa.com/kfc146e.html

And, I bought some coupons off Ebay for the Fuji disposable
cameras. I found some fantastic coupons for $2 off a
Fuji disposable camera and I bought 20 coupons.
Saved me a bundle!

Marcy_O
05-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Well, this sounds pretty lame in comparison, but Bright's first birthday party was SAturday and I gave out bubbles (which were a huge hit) and squirt guns. (not to be used together!!!) Not the little kind the bigger kind but they were still only $1 at walmart.

I do like the little potted plant idea though.

R2sweetboys
05-29-2006, 03:26 PM
This doesn't really go with the car theme but I just picked up these cute little bug catchers for the boys at Walmart the other day. They were only $4 and came with little tweezers,a magnifying glass, and a little flashlight inside. For the life of me, I can not find a picture of one online but I've seen them at TRU as well. It's basically a bug holder that's a plastic frame with a handle and screen type material. There's a circular door on one end to let the critters in/out. Anyway, I was thinking they'd be a cute idea for party favors this time of year. HTH

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

cchavez
05-29-2006, 03:40 PM
DS got a denim tote bag with his name embroidered on it and it was filled with goodies......we use the bag to hold his toys that he plays with in the car......

Also, why not give "tool kits" so the kids can repair their cars at home....also are you doing a generic car theme or CARS the movie....birthday express has some cute straw cups and make your own car kits...hth

mum1day
05-29-2006, 03:48 PM
I gave Crocodile Creek placemats at my DD's birthday party. They were a huge hit and pretty inexpensive.

MrsZaz
05-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Wow! Thanks for all of the great information. I new I came to the right place. He did actually pick the 'Cars' movie stuff to use at his party (this is the party he is having with his friends) and his party is on the same day that the movie opens.

I really like the photo album/camera idea - I would never have thought of that myself.

Thanks to all who replied.

Colleen Z.

Corie
05-29-2006, 09:25 PM
This is the ebay store that I bought the Mickey Mouse/
Minnie Mouse 4x6 photo albums.

Currently, I don't see any photo albums listed in his store
but you could always email him and ask what he has
available.

I did find a few things listed with Disney's Cars.
The shipping seems a bit expensive to me though.

http://search.stores.ebay.com/dewholesales_Cars_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ3QQfsnZdewhole salesQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftsZ2QQsaselZ189840323QQsof pZ0

Corie
05-29-2006, 09:43 PM
One more thing...

And this depends on the date of your son's birthday party,
but the next toy promotion at McDonalds is going to be
Disney's Cars.

I was looking through Ebay trying to find some Cars stuff
for you and I came across some Ebay auctions for a full set
of 8 McDonalds - Disney Cars. The auctions were all pre-sells.
In the description, it said the cars would not be available
until mid-June.

http://cgi.ebay.com/McDonalds-Disney-Pixar-movie-CARS-Set-of-8_W0QQitemZ6062219750QQcategoryZ2521QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem

So, if you will have the time, you can eat at McDonalds and
save the Cars to use at cake toppers or table decorations, etc.

spunkybaby
05-30-2006, 12:17 AM
I gave a little set of mini Snoopy board books in a Snoopy doghouse. They were really cute, and I found them at www.bookcloseouts.com

My DD loves books and Snoopy, so it was a great party favor for her, and everyone was really pleased. Perhaps you could look at bookcloseouts.com and see if there are any cheap books about cars for your DS's party. You can do a search by price and see what comes up.

Not-so-new mom to a spunky toddler
March 2004

lizajane
05-30-2006, 07:44 AM
it rained for schuyler's party so we got TONS of $1 plastic balls from walmart for them to play with in a big room at the YMCA. then each kid got to take home a ball.

Puddy73
05-30-2006, 09:46 AM
DD received a set of little wooden maracas from a fiesta-themed party over a year ago and she still plays with them all the time. I think I've seen them in the Oriental Trading Co. catalog. Much better than the usual bag of candy and plastic junk!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

CiderLogan
05-30-2006, 10:00 AM
We just got a beach ball and goggles from a party a couple of weeks ago - actuallly useful for this upcoming summer, better than a bag filled with junk IMO! This same family gave out pool noodles last year, which I thought was also a great idea. Also - a few families we know give each kid a book related to the party theme (animals or the farm or whatever) - not too expensive if you find a good deal, and something every kid loves and will actually be used a lot!

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/27/03
...and Clara, 5/23/06

ctmom
05-30-2006, 12:03 PM
we just went to a party this weekend and got these as the favors...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00064XGA6/sr=8-2/qid=1149007695/ref=sr_1_2/104-3059982-5291928?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

The girls got the care bears and boys got hot wheels.

I know my friend got them, uninflated, at a discount store. Every couple days her dh would bring a few to a local gas station and use their air compressor to fill them up!

She paid about $3 each.

My girls played with them all day yesterday in the yard.

I've given out seeds and small pot, piggy banks, coloring books, picture frames.

I think for our next party, I'm stealing Corie's idea and giving out disposable camera and small photo albums...

HTH!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Dcclerk
05-30-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm a big believer in the one-thing that everyone will like rather than a bunch of small things that can be easily broken. We received a fantastic Pottery Barn beach ball, a really nice beach bucket and shovel, a puppet, and a Doodle Pro. All have been big hits, although none are a car theme.

firstbaby
05-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Jenny -

I just saw from your post that your new DD was born last week. Congrats mama and family!!!

hellokitty1
05-30-2006, 04:49 PM
My DD hasn't "received" anything great but i have to tout my DH for a creative idea of whatto give away at her third birthday this year. We bought kids t-shirts at Michael's. They happen to be on sale for $1.88. Then we bought plain iron on transfers that you can print through the ink jet printer. We found the best price at BJs, Sam's Club, etc. Then we got pictures off the internet of things each child liked and printed them on the iron on transfer. And then we ironed them on each shirt. Each child got a unique shirt of something they really liked. So my daughter got Dora but then we made a little boy a sports team logo. We gave them out during a party "game" rather than sending them off with them at the end and every child wanted to wear it immediately so we had all the kids in these white t-shirts with the character they love.

I thought this was such a great idea and ended up being cheaper than buying the traditional party favors. The shirt was only a couple dollars and the iron on transfers were like $15 for a package of 25 and bc they were going on little shirts, we were able to print four shirts with just one iron on sheet. We are plannign ot do this every year but of course the themes will change for each child through the years. attached is a picture of a child wearing her shirt. She happens to really love Krypto the Super Dog but you can't find it at your local store. So we just looked it up on the Internet and printed out the graphic.

I have a picture attached of the girl wearing a shirt.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33833.jpg

Corie
05-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Okay, Vivian, I'm definitely stealing your idea!!

I LOVE it!! How totally awesome is that? Each child
gets to leave with a personalized shirt!! :)

By the way, Sydney is absolutely adorable!! And her birthday
cake is awesome! Who made her cake? I have never seen
a cake so colorful and detailed.