PDA

View Full Version : Going to Disney Friday, but DD has a bad cold. What should I do?

CBB
05-29-2006, 01:49 PM
DD just came down with a bad cold today, running nose and coughing, but no fever (yet). I usually wouldn't worry so much, but we are going to Disney World this Friday. We will be flying from Boston. She is acting completely fine, but I'm not sure if she'll get worse the next few days or even get an ear infection. She has had two ear infections in the past. Today is the first day of cold. I called Disney and they recommended me calling before 48h of trip if I need to reschedule, which means tomorrow. I don't think I would be able to tell how she would be doing 4 days later by tomorrow. What should I do? I had planned for this trip for a long time and was so looking forward to it. Should I take a chance that she would feel better by then or reschedule?

TIA!!

kedss
05-29-2006, 02:20 PM
personally, I would reschedule, I think if she got really sick before the plane ride, then had to ride it, she would definitely feel worse, and that is a long flight for a kiddo(and would be for you too, if she is miserable).

But it's up to you, you're the mama! big hugs

R2sweetboys
05-29-2006, 02:55 PM
I would definitely not cancel the trip because of a cold or even the possibility of an ear infection coming.(which may very well not happen) It's one thing if you live in the area and were just going for the day. It sounds like this is a major trip for you and I can actually speak from experience that I wouldn't cancel. For one, it's probably not that easy to re-schedule if you're dealing with vacation time. Also, it may be difficult to get the same accomodations,etc. when you try to go in the future.

We went to Disney World two years ago(exactly-I just realized we were there right at this time :) ) when Matty was 15 months. We were also leaving on a Friday and he had come down with a cold the weekend before. The cold wasn't a big deal but he started to have trouble sleeping a few days before we were leaving. The ped. checked his ears on Tues. and they were O.K. but we went back again Thursday(the day before we left!) because we just knew something was up. He ended up having a double ear infection. Of course, we were really worried about the plane ride and the trip in general but our ped. assured us he would be fine and gave us antibiotics and some Tylenol/codeine. Gosh, I made this story long-sorry! My point is that even with a cold and a double ear infection, Matthew did just fine. The plane didn't bother him and he really had a great trip. His cold and ear infection were gone within a couple of days of getting there.

So, just my opinion, but I would take the chance. You could have her ears checked before you leave if you see any signs of discomfort or just to ease your mind. I'm not sure if your ped would write you a script for an antibiotic that you could fill down there if you needed it.(meaning for an ear infection,not the cold) I hope your DDs cold is a minor one that passes quickly. Good luck with your decision and have a GREAT time if you go! Disney is such a fun place!(Oh, one tip-I'd buy one of those spray mister fans b/c it was very hot when we were there and it was SO refreshing) Take care,

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

Momof3Labs
05-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Go!!! No way would I reschedule a vacation for just a cold. If it makes you feel better, you can go see your ped the day before you leave to check her ears and let you know what you can give her to ease any remaining symptoms. Does she usually get ear infections while sick? If not, the chances that she will this time are pretty slim, IMO.

ett
05-29-2006, 03:05 PM
I probably wouldn't reschedule either. I would take her to the doctor's to get it checked out though, if you think she might have an ear infection. There's no guarantee that if you reschedule, she wouldn't get sick then. It's a lot of work to plan a trip like this, so unless she had something more serious, I wouldn't change anything.

kristenk
05-29-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm another "Go!" vote. You never know what will be going on if you reschedule. She could have another cold at that time.

I'd definitely try to schedule a doctor's appointment the day before you leave, though, to check on her ears and make sure everything looks okay. If she starts feeling worse, I'd go ahead and make an appointment (of course!) and then still try to make it into the office the day before just to check on things, but that's just me! :)

jesseandgrace
05-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Definitely don't cancel at this point! It is only Monday, and it could be a tiny little cold that will be better tomorrow. If an ear infection starts to show it seems like it would show by Thursday, and flying Friday would be fine if you are treating it. I have flown more times than I care to say right after ds had a cold and a massive ear infection, and it has never bothered him. We actually decided we were jinxed he came down with so many massive colds and ear infections right before trips, but the trips always went fine. The chances of a child with a cold this time of year even sniffling by Friday when the cold started on Monday seems really small, and you will be kicking yourself with a perfectly healthy child and no trip.

ETA: That seems like a pretty short ride too (3 hours?)

CBB
05-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Day2 of the cold and DD seems to be doing a little better. Still a lot of running nose but doesn't act sick. So I'm feeling a little reassured. She has gotten two ear infections in the past with bad cold. I'm going to have her checked out Thursday if she does not get better tomorrow.

Thank you s much for your suggestion!

Lynnie
06-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Hope she's better !

If she's still a little sick, maybe the doc can give you a prescription for something just in case you need it. My ped has done that cause he know's I am not going to give antibiotics at the drop of a hat, and its so much easier to get something if you have the prescription already, as opposed to calling the doc from out of town and having it called in.

Have a great time