PDA

View Full Version : Any SPANX mamas out there?

laurel
05-29-2006, 08:40 PM
The subject line pretty much says it all. I'm looking for something to wear under light weight summer skirts and dresses that would smooth things out a bit but not be a granny girdle. I was looking at the Spanx power panties. Any opinions/BTDT/thoughts?

Thanks!

Oregonmother
05-29-2006, 09:15 PM
i know target is selling a similar product made by spanx, but has a different name. i have not tried them yet, but have heard good things from those who have.

trumansmom
05-29-2006, 10:11 PM
I've tried both and think they are both wonderful! :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

laurel
05-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Well that's helpful! I'm in Canada so there are very limited retailers here for Spanx and none for Target stuff. I could hit up my cousin in North Dakota to go to Target for me, but I need them on shorter notice than that. My brother is getting married in two weeks, so that doesn't even really leave time to "shop" on Ebay. I figure if I buy this pair and really like them I can do my future stocking up on Ebay. :) Have you tried any of their other products...not to be too personal!

american_mama
05-29-2006, 10:33 PM
The Target product is called Assets. I remember the name because I find it both funny but also a little too raunchy for casual conversation.

skohng
05-29-2006, 10:46 PM
I LOVE my spanx!!! I have the power panties in nude, and it has saved my entire wardrobe. I know that sounds super melodramatic but it's the truth. I hate the fact that panty lines show up on my pants, and when i wear thongs not only is there the uncomfort factor, but you have to have some nice, firm, perky "assets" to pull it off. the spanx totally sucks everything in and shapes that area great.

it's not too hot for summer, but i will say that it's not easy taking on and off to go to the bathroom. other than that i love it!!

hm i just reread this, please excuse anything that was overly graphic....

tarahsolazy
05-29-2006, 11:36 PM
I really like them, too. I wear them under suits, just to ensure that everything stays put and looks firm. Highly recommended.

trumansmom
05-30-2006, 01:05 AM
No, I've not. I keep wanting to hear a review about the clothes! They look wonderful, but I'm not willing to shell out the $$ without either trying them on first or reading a review. :(

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

laurel
05-30-2006, 07:00 AM
Not too graphic, but exactly what I wanted to hear. :) Those would be pretty much the precise reasons I was looking at getting them. I think they would cover pretty much my whole "problem area" and I really just want a smoother line under certain clothes....as well as not worrying if my butt looks like cottage cheese! .....now that might be too graphic. :)

sdbc
05-30-2006, 07:29 AM
Just wanted to say, I tried both spanx and assets. I like the spanxs better (as I should since they are $10 more!). The assets are getting a hole near the crotch after a few wears and the spanx are like new. also, for some reason, the assets roll up my leg, and the spanx don't. I really wanted to like the cheaper assets...
Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

lizajane
05-30-2006, 07:40 AM
i have them. the first time i wore them, they rolled. they whole thing about them is that they aren't supposed to roll. i think maybe they were too small? i found some half off at a boutique that was closing, so i got a larger size. but i don't think i could wear them in the summer. too hot around here. (as in, 100 degrees in august and VERY humid.)

i think i will get some of the target knock offs in nude (my spanx are black) to try out under my white pants. much cheaper!

i would buy them for you and mail them if i weren't out of town!

Roleysmom
05-30-2006, 09:04 AM
I just bought a pair and it did exactly what I hoped it would do! It firmed me up, so to speak, and got rid of the panty lines. I do agree that they are hard to get on, so going to the bathroom takes a little longer. I'm definitely getting more, maybe the ones with the longer torso. The Nordstrom sales clerk said that they will be going on sale during the half-yearly women's sale in June, if that helps.

Paula
Mom to Roley Julia, January '02

skohng
05-30-2006, 09:39 AM
ooh! thanks for that nordstrom tip.

btw i did want to add that if you wear lower-rise pants, make sure you have a shirt that covers pretty well - the top of the spanx peeks out above your pants and it's not very pretty. i don't know what's worse, bare skin or the spanx, but either way i think it's a service to the general public to keep that whole backside area covered up.

lol at the cottage cheese comment

TonFirst
05-30-2006, 09:54 AM
I am evangelical about Spanx. I give the Higher Power Spanx as baby shower gifts to close friends, in fact. I have a pair of Assets, the Target line, and while they're not quite as powerful with my tummy as the full-on Spanx, they are super comfortable and the fabric is actually a little more cotton-y, which made me prefer them for summer.

You can also get good deals on Spanx at Filene's Basement.

Calmegja2
05-30-2006, 10:33 AM
>Just wanted to say, I tried both spanx and assets. I like the
>spanxs better (as I should since they are $10 more!). The
>assets are getting a hole near the crotch after a few wears
>and the spanx are like new. also, for some reason, the assets
>roll up my leg, and the spanx don't. I really wanted to like
>the cheaper assets...
>Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

It's exactly the opposite for me. The Spanx make lines on my legs where they end, and roll down and create a roll where there isn't one in my midsection. It wasn't a sizing issue, either. I bought up a size after it happened originally, and then I had even more of a mess. :)

The Assets, on the other hand, have a better waistband and legband technology for my body type, and fit better. And they make me sweat less than the Spanx.

I have a very long torso, though, and I think that might be part of the issue with the Spanx. Even the Higher Power Spanx roll down on me and make bulges where there weren't any before.

kijip
05-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Love'em. Enough said. Heck, I look SO much better with them, it is hard to go without them!

octmom
05-30-2006, 02:19 PM
LOL! I'll have to look for these at Target now. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."