PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rash or Virus?

mariza
05-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Sorry if this belongs somewhere else, but I didn't know where else to ask. Obviously, I will call the peditrician in the morning but wanted some input between now and then.
16 month DD broke out with a rash around her lips the other day and her lips themselves were bright red and looked sore. It didn't seem to bother her any and I knew that my mother had fed her blueberries the day before (that's another story!) I thought maybe it was a weird reaction to the blueberries.
Then she started getting a rash on her labia, no where else in her diaper area though, just on the the outside area of her "privates". Well, today I noticed the rash is looking more raised but not quite like a blister. It's bright red, but again, it doesn't seem to bother her any. I let her walk around without her diaper for an hour after her bath to let it get some air and she wasn't scratching or anything.
She doesn't have a fever, been in good spirits and her eating seems fine. A friend told be that her pedi said that Coxsackie virus was going around. I looked it up on the internet, but she doesn't seem to share the major symptoms listed. Any ideas? TIA!

jennabear
05-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Sorry, no advice here. I just hope the Ped can get down to the bottom of this. Hope sje's feeling better soon and let us know what the Doctor says.

jayali
05-30-2006, 01:23 PM
You have probably called your ped. by now, but just wanted to say sounds exactly like Coxsackie. I think each child presents differently with the fever. If it is Coxsackie, good luck. DS got VERY cranky about 4 days into being sick. Never had the rash any place visible, just on his tonsils. He did spike a very high fever one night, which landed us in the ER.

Hope she is feeling better.

cbm
05-30-2006, 01:30 PM
I just saw this today. I hope your pediatrician put your mind at ease. Let us know how she is. It is a good thing that she isn't bothered by it.

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

mariza
05-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, DH brought her to the pedi today and she said that it is Thrush. I was not even thinking of that because I didn't notice the white patches usually associated with it.
I guess it makes sense since DD is on daily antibiotics for her Kidney Reflux (antibiotics are a common cause). I usually give her yogurt to help balance things out, but since she's becoming more independant in feeding, she wants to do it herself and yogurt is not good self-feeding food!
We'll work on that because now I know she needs it, it's not an option! Any other food recommendations to help avoid this in the future?