PDA

View Full Version : What name did you/your DC give your parents and your in-laws?!?

denna
05-30-2006, 06:50 AM
This is kind-of piggy backing off a post I saw earlier on what do you call your MIL?!? Well my DH and I have been debating back and forth since I found out I was pregnant 'What do we call the grandparents?'
You see my DS has my DH's parents, my parents (Mom and Step-Dad) and my DH's grandparents. So what do we do call them ALL grandma and grandpa?!? Wouldn't that get confusing for our DS?!? Well what did you do?!? Does your DC(s) call all of their grandparent(s) by grandma/pa or what other names do you use?!?

Thanks so much in advance for reading this and responding :)!!!

Denna

JBaxter
05-30-2006, 06:59 AM
We have Mam-Maw and Pappy and Grandma Margie and Grandpa Russ.

mmaimp
05-30-2006, 07:25 AM
We have a Mom-mom and Pop-pop, Grandmom and Grandpop, and a Papa Mike. I asked the Grandparents what they would like to be called when DS #1 was born. It works well for us.

kedss
05-30-2006, 07:26 AM
Well, DS has:
one Grandma (my mom)
one Grandma Sarah (my stepmom)
one Pop Pop (my dad)
one Ama (his paternal grandma)
one Affe (his paternal grandpa)

of course he doesn't call them anything yet,except he tends to call anything that looks like could be his dad, 'Da'. I think we all just hope someday all these names will pop into his head, and he will just start using them, but time will tell.

hth! :)

elliput
05-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Growing up my family called both sets of grandparents Grandma and Grandpa (Gramma and Grampa is what they actually sounded like), but when we would refer to one set or the other we used Gramma LastName, Grampa LastName. This is the system DH and I will probably use. Some of my cousins have grandparents who are German and we call them Oma and Opa.

bcky2
05-30-2006, 07:29 AM
my parents are grandma and grandpa. mil and fil are grandma and grandpa in bama-bama(they live in alabama and this is how my ds started out saying alabama :) )

as for the one great grandmother that is still alive they call her great grandma.

lizajane
05-30-2006, 07:42 AM
we called the grandparents:
grandma and grandpa (in laws)
grandmommy and grandaddy (my parents)
until schuyler named them himself. it was VERY important to my parents that the kids name them. and it was VERY important to my parents that they NOT be "ma and pa."

so schuyler named them:
meemaw and pawpaw (in laws)
gaddy and meemommy (my parents)

he named my dad "gaddy" (daddy with a g- grand-daddy) at 14 months old.

katerinasmom
05-30-2006, 07:48 AM
My DD calls my parents Yiayia and Papou (Greek for grandmother and grandfather) and my husband's parents Abuela (Spanish for grandmother) and Papa. She calls my grandmother (her great-grandmother) Big Yiayia and my husband's grandmother Ma (because everyone in the whole family calls her Ma).

lkarp
05-30-2006, 07:58 AM
My MIL and FIL will be Grandma and Grandpa and my parents are Lola and Lolo (Grandma and Grandpa in the Philippines) for the time being. My neices and nephews call MIL Mimi, so who knows what Mila will come up with on her own.

MelissaTC
05-30-2006, 08:08 AM
My parents are Yaya and Bo. My Mom wanted to be Nana, Matthew called her Yaya instead. My Dad wanted to be Abuelo but Matthew couldn't pronounce it so Bo just kind of stuck.

My inlaws are Grandma and Grandpa.

kristenk
05-30-2006, 08:16 AM
My mom wanted DD to "name" her, but that was a pretty tough thing to do for a child who wasn't yet talking! We kept telling my mom that we needed to call her *something* and we eventually settled on Grand. I think that mom basically wasn't ready to be called grandma and all of her friends' grandkids called them by fairly interesting names and so she didn't want to be the boring one! LOL

DH's parents started out as grandma and grandpa, but on a visit when DD was 19 months, she started calling DH's dad, Pa when she couldn't say Grandpa. If DD shortened Grandma the same way, that would be Ma and she sometimes (at that age) called me that, and I couldn't relinquish my Ma/Mama title! We tried to figure out something that DD could say, so now DH's dad is Pa and DH's mom is Nana.

sdjeppa
05-30-2006, 08:27 AM
All 4 grandparents started as Grandma and Grandpa- evolved into Gramma and Papa for my parents, and DH's parents are Grandpa (first name) and Grandma (first name).

My grandma (Z's great grandma) is called GG by all her other great grandkids, but Z named her Ahma...which I like better, because I remember calling my great-grandma GG, and I would never remember to call my grandma GG anyway LOL.

nicoleandjackson
05-30-2006, 08:34 AM
DS is the sixth grandchild on my husband's side, so the nieces/nephews already "decided" for us, if you will :). He is the first grandchild on my side, so we let my parents "pick" their name. It also kind of evolved over time as DS learned to speak.

MIL/FIL are "Gramps" and "Gram", therefore FIL's parents are "Great-Gramps" and "Great-Gram"

My parents are "Grampie" and "Grammie", and my grandparents are "Great Grampie LastName", and "Great Grammie LastName" (that helps with the step-grandparents!)

HTH! Good luck!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

http://b5.lilypie.com/nD9Jm5.png

smilequeen
05-30-2006, 08:43 AM
My parents are grandma and grandpa. DH's parents are the cantonese versions of that, which I wouldn't know how to spell out if I tried ;)

kep
05-30-2006, 08:44 AM
We have a Grandma and a Grandpa, (my parents), and then we have a Nana and Papa, (dh's parents). My SIL/BIL had kids before we did, so that eliminated the need to choose a name for dh's parents, and my family has always used the usual Grandma/pa so that choice was pretty easy.

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)

http://b4.lilypie.com/G0VTm4.png

kdeunc
05-30-2006, 08:45 AM
In my case the In-Laws had in mind what they would be called. Nana and Granddaddy and my parents were fine with whatever. Even though we called them that DS decided on Nana and Lee-Lee (started out as Grand-de-Lee when he couldn't say Granddaddy)and Mammy and Granddaddy for my parents. Some people cringe when they hear that my mama is "mammy" but she said whatever Ryan wanted to call her was fine by her! We did learn that kids will not necessarly go with your name choice.

pb&j
05-30-2006, 09:14 AM
The IL's already had two grandchildren, so they were already Nana and Grand Hallie (FIL's name is Hal). My mom desperately wanted to be Bubby, but we just weren't feeling it. She's become Grammy. My dad goes by his first name. Very imaginative, I know. We figure that at some point, DS will call them something that will stick.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

cbm
05-30-2006, 09:21 AM
So what do we do call
>them ALL grandma and grandpa?!?

You can. Add the first or last name to the grandma and grandpa title. That would take care of differentiating them.

Wouldn't that get confusing
>for our DS?!?

No. As he grows older he will know who is who. He may even call them something different all on his own.

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

hez
05-30-2006, 09:22 AM
My parents are Grandma Kxxx and Grandpa. IL's are Grandma Sxxx and Pops. They all chose the names for themselves. My grandma is Great-Grandma Fxxx and DH's grandma is Great-Grandma Sxxx.

Growing up, both sets of my grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa, followed by their last names, and for my greatgrandparents we used Great-Grandma and Great-Grandpa. So, it was pretty easy to distinguish who we were talking about.

June Mommy
05-30-2006, 09:27 AM
We semi-decided on grandparents names before DS was born, and he has 'modified' them a bit. DH's parents are Nana and Pop. My parents are Mimi and Don-da. My dad started out as Granddaddy, but DS pronounced it "don-da" so it stuck!

Puddy73
05-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Mimi (MIL)
Grandaddy (FIL)
Gramma (my Mom)
Grampa (my Dad)

Mimi was started by my niece and it just stuck. We asked the others what they would like to be called.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

ribbit1019
05-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Nana and Papa for IL's (their choice I don't like it) so I call them Grandpa and Grandma around DD. She calls them both.

Grandma Dee or Grammy for my mom and Grandpa Walt or Grampy for my dad.

When I was younger I called my grandparents by their last names. Grandma Jones and Grandpa Jones, etc.

GL!

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
& Jarred 3/8/06, 14 lb 24 1/2" @ 10 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

mommd
05-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Well, my DH's parents are Polish so they are Babcia and Dziadek, and my Mom is grandma (currently pronounced as "gamma"). When I was little, my Mom's Mom was grandma and my father's parents were grandma and grandpa last name.

R2sweetboys
05-30-2006, 12:06 PM
My parents are Nana and Grampy and my in-laws are Grandma and Grandpa. We went with what they wanted to be called. I think it really should be their choice. My mom was a little hesitant about being Nana Lastname because it's what we called my dad's late mom who wasn't exactly the best MIL to my mom. We called both of our grandmothers Nana Lastname growing up so I really couldn't imagine my kids calling my mom anything else. Since MIL is Grandma anyway, my mom is just "Nana" with no need to use the last name. The names suit them all perfectly. :) Sadly, all of my grandparents are deceased so we don't have that issue of what to call them.

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

californiagirl
05-30-2006, 12:09 PM
DD wants two of every name -- as in "I have 2 mothers" (the other one turned out to be DH, thank goodness). So she is pleased as punch to have 2 grandfathers, who she calls by name or "grandfather" or by the two together. (I am hoping that DH's father when he visits is not going to figure out that she also calls him "my other grandfather" and that this is not variable. There are supposed to be 2 of every name, but one of them is designated "the other ..." DH is of course "the other mother".) She has only one grandmother, who she therefore tends to ignore.

deenass
05-30-2006, 12:55 PM
DS was grandchild # 6 on DH's side and his dad & step-mom wanted to be Bubbie & Papa, his mom (now deceased) was Nanny. DH's grandparents are called Super-Bubbie & Super-Papa (SIL coined that, saying they weren't just "great" they were SUPER).

My mom wanted to be Nana (and dad to be Papa, MIL wasn't happy about DS having two Papas) but I had a Nana who sas still alive and she seemed so old, I couldn't call my mom that so I decided they would be Grandma & grandpa, though at an earlier age DS called them Ma & Pa which has stuck.

lmwbasye
05-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Funny you should mention this since we are currently having problems I guess with two names that our parents have picked. My mom chose to be called "Grandmichaele" (her name is Michaele). Now, it's a bit weird, but I can get beyond that. The hard part is having a little kiddo learn that name. LOL! My dad is good old fashioned "Grandpa" or "Grandpa Chuck". My MIL picked Mimi and we like it and Liam is already saying that. My FIL wants to be "Toody". Ummmm...I don't think so, but we'll see. I do think a lot is up to the child/what they can pronounce, etc., so time will tell.

Fun question, though!

kaylinsmommy2
05-30-2006, 02:56 PM
I let each grandparent choose what they wanted to be called. My parents chose Popo and gong gong (chinese names for maternal grandparents). ILs chose nothing (couldn't make up their minds for over a year!!) so I just referred to them as Grandma and Grandpa. For DD, that turned into nam-ma and nam-pa. And then MIL *changes* it to nana and pops herself. :( I wish DD was able to name them herself (especially since the ILs didn't choose one for themselves!). :)

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

crl
05-30-2006, 06:01 PM
I haven't read the other replies yet, sorry if this is redundant. We asked what they wanted to be called and that's what we've taught DS to use. So we have Grandpa and Nana (my mom's first name), Pop Pop and Nana (MIL first name), and Great Grandmom.

jillc
05-30-2006, 06:23 PM
My DH's parents are Nana & PopPop. They chose the names.

My parents started off as Mimi & Bobby because DD couldn't say Grandma & Grandpa. My mom chose Mimi b/c it was easy for DD to say. My dad's name is Bob & my mom calls him Bobby occasionally. Somehow that stuck in DD's little head & she called him Bobby for about six months, despite the fact that we consistently referred to him as Grandpa. Now they're Mimi & Grandpa, much to my Dad's relief. :)

I have always called my grandparents Grandma & Grandpa. Now that DD is here, we call my Grandpa "Papa" b/c that's what I called him when I was little. We call my Grandma "Noni", which is an Italian form of grandma.

My other Grandma is called Gram.

Fun thread!! :)

HannaAddict
05-30-2006, 06:53 PM
I grew up with three sets of grandparents and called all of them "grandma" and "grandpa" and was never the slightest bit confused. When I was older, if I wanted to refer to one set to someone else, I would sometimes say Grandma Last Name, but that was the extent of it. I don't think grandma and grandpa are confusing to a child at all. If you like or have some other choices (like nana or something) available, I would do what you feel comfortable with.

I did not like having my in-laws making special requests for what they would like to be called though. My FIL wants "granddad" and I will say it if I remember but am not hard wired for it and didn't like having them bugging us about it before my child was even born. But that is a topic for the bitching post!

Kimberly

Melanie
05-30-2006, 06:54 PM
MIL is Grandma FirstName
FIL is Grandpa FirstName

My mom is usually just Grandma
My SF is usually just Grandpa but sometimes Grandpa FirstName.

thomma
05-30-2006, 06:57 PM
My parents are Grammy and Grampy. Dh's parents are some stupid *ss names we got stuck with because we had kids after his sister did. Yes...I'm bitter! :)

Kim
t&e 5/03

shilo
05-30-2006, 07:37 PM
growing up, all 4 of mine had different names, so that's what i was used to. made it very easy b/c you always knew exactly who was being talked about. dh had the more formal grandma LN and grandpa LN on both sides. we asked them what they would like to be called, and that's what we're going with for now - if ds changes it later, i think it's ok by everyone.

i had 'grandmother, granddaddy, grammy and grampa & Mary Jo (who was in my life since 9 mos old, so she is a 'grandma' to me in every sense of the word). of them, only my grampa and mary jo are still alive, so they now go by Great Grampa and GG-Jo)

for my son his grandparents have chosen Grams and Granddaddy, Gramma and Grandpa.

lori

Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

muskiesusan
05-30-2006, 08:10 PM
We have two Grandmas and and one Grandpa (my dad is deceased). Nick does call my mom Grandma Coffeehot which stems from her telling him her coffee was hot when he was a baby-I guess he decided it was her name!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

linsei
05-30-2006, 09:35 PM
My parents just wanted grandma & grandpa, but ds calls them gramma and pa-pa. I'm not sure how ds got pa-pa, since we always addressed him as grandpa.

I haven't heard him address my IL's as anything yet. Ds doesn't spend quite as much time with them as my parents. They want to be called grandma & poppy. Dn (age 4) started poppy and she calls my mil honey because that is what fil always calls her ;) (I guess there are worse names than "honey") ;)

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]