PDA

View Full Version : Just For Fun: What did you / do you like to drink?

chiqanita
05-31-2006, 10:03 AM
Okay so a different post got me to thinking about this, I haven't had a 'drink' since pre-pregnancy. Let's see that would mean I had my last Melon Maragarita at Pappasitos Tex Mex restaurant in early 2003. I wasn't much of a drinker anyway, I could say that prior to that margarita I had maybe a wine cooler the previous summer. I'm a lightweight and anything with alcohol goes straight to my head.

So, what do you / did you like to drink?

I used to drink: Melon or Strawberry Margaritas, Fuzzy Navels (early years), Baileys and Coronas. Oooh, I do recall having something called "Sex on the Beach" once or twice....it's a drink that looks like Hawaiian Punch with a kick.

Now I drink: Water, Root Beer, Iced/Hot Teas, Smoothies, and Milk :9 :9 :7 :7

kedss
05-31-2006, 10:27 AM
I used to love Bombay Gin and tonic, cranberry and vodka, and frozen strawberry margaritas, now I just drink way to much coffee! LOL!

elliput
05-31-2006, 10:27 AM
White Russians
Pina Coladas
Guinness
All sorts of wine

At home I usually drink milk or water. At restuarants I order ice tea, unsweet with lemon.

BellaGirl
05-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Beer! Oh, how I miss beer!! I'm not much of a hard alcohol girl. But, when I did step out I would drink sweet wines (reislings) or Bellini's and Amaretto Sours.

Now it's all about tall glasses of milk to cut back the pregnancy heartburn!!!

cmdunn1972
05-31-2006, 10:57 AM
DH and I enjoy sharing a bottle of wine now and then. Usually, we'll have Riesling or a sweet white (such as Cayuga) from one of the local vinyards.

When I'm out with the girls (such as for Mom's Night Out) I might get a mixed drink like a margarita or daquiri. At home for holiday parties, I'll mix coconut rum with cranberry juice (YUM!) or a Cuba Libre.

Gawd, I'm starting to sound like some alcoholic party girl! :) Really I'm just a social drinker. Mostly, I'm happy with diet soda, iced tea, iced coffee, or a latte (skim milk, please).

DebbieJ
05-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Mojitos
Vodka & Tonic
Vanilla Vodka with Ginger Ale (tastes like a Cream Soda--yum!)
Cosmos

Beer, specifically ales like Bass or Sierra Nevada

Red wines

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

chiqanita
05-31-2006, 11:38 AM
What's a mojito?

chiqanita
05-31-2006, 11:44 AM
When DH and I were dating he made me dinner and served a sweet white wine that I really liked. Neither one of us can remember the name and it was a nice wine, we lived in Orange Cnty then. He said his boss basically gave him the whole menu from start to finish: shrimp cocktails, swordfish & rice pilaf w/ raisins and almonds, homemade peach pie, and the sweet white wine of course.

Not being a wine drinker I was surprised that I liked it, have any suggestions for a good sweet white wine?

cmdunn1972
05-31-2006, 11:45 AM
It's a rum-based drink where you muddle sugar and mint together then add ice, lime juice, and rum:

http://www.webtender.com/db/drink/1435

(The drink is from Cuba, so it's pronounced as you would in Spanish.)

jenjenfirenjen
05-31-2006, 11:47 AM
I haven't been much a drinker for years now (even before DS) but when I drink I like a good glass of red wine, Shiner Bock beer, and Captain Morgan's and Coke.

And can I just say that you're making my mouth water just thinking about Pappasito's. I'm from Houston but have been living in Philly for the last 4 years and oh, how do I miss Pappasito's!!!

mariza
05-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Real Beer, no lite please! Has to be a Bass or even Sam Adams (Summer Ale, yum! Too bad I'll be pg all summer :( )
Also we like a nice bottle of Red Wine, usually Australian Shiraz.
No hard liquor for me, it goes straight to my head!
I will occassionally drink Kaliber while pg, it's a non-alcoholic beer made by Guiness. It gets me through though rare beer cravings, but it's pretty heavy so a 6 pack will usually last me about 4-6 weeks. Sounding like an alcoholic so I'll stop now.
Makes me wonder how I drank so many Black & Tans in my 20's though :9

Moneypenny
05-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Jack Daniels. Mmmmm. Sometimes a Guinness if I was in the mood for beer. Now both DH and I drink non-alcoholic beer. It's just not right to grill out and not have a beer-flavored beverage!
Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

tina-t
05-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Don't like the taste of alcohol unfortunately (or should I say, fortunately :)). All I drink now is Diet Hansen Root Beer or Kiwi Strawberry soda, iced decaf coffee, water, and occasionally, a diet coke.

Dcclerk
05-31-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm on a mojito kick right now, too. Even though they are "over," I still like the various flavored martinis, especially key lime and strawberry. But generally, DH and I drink red wine-- cabs and some blends.

Oh, and champagne. When I get together with the girls, it is often champagne, or table service with vodka.

chiqanita
05-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Oooh, you poor thing! I love their food especially the fajitas! DH ordered some fajitas for Mothers' Day. Oh, and those tortillas with the melted garlic butter. Hey, if there's a way to ship it let me know and I'll set you up.

On another note, I'm from southern CA and how I miss eating at Pollo Loco's and TOGOS! I also miss Carl's Jr burgers...mmmm!

Now my mouth is watering! It's lunch time! Gotta eat while the twins are napping.

ETA: I was wondering about the Shiner Bock beer...isn't it a TX beer?

chiqanita
05-31-2006, 12:10 PM
My sister likes the Apple Martinis. On Oprah recently she talked about a couple of flavored Martinis: Pomegranite Martini and a Grapefruit Martini? They sounded refreshing.

Corie
05-31-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm so not a drinker! If I have one drink, I'm pretty buzzed
and if I have 2, then I'm probably asleep under the table. :)

But, if I were to have one, it would probably be an
Amaretto Sour or Lemonade w/vodka.

I don't like beer, never have! Even after enduring countless
sips and tastes of all my husband's different beers over the
years.

Now, I drink fat-free milk at breakfast and then water for
the rest of the day. I might stop at Sonic while I'm out
doing errands and get a fountain coke. Although I would
prefer a fountain pepsi. (I just really like the ice at Sonic!)

shilo
05-31-2006, 12:13 PM
oooh, i'll play...

then: a nice glass of an excellent cab franc blend like Justin's Isoceles or merlot blend like Cinnabar's Mercury Rising. for a cheap glass, i'd go for a white zin on occasion - most restaurant's carry Berringer, but even better is the el cheapo California Barefoot from TJ's. if i was going to do a cocktail (very rare) usually an amaretto sours.

now: i'll still do an occasional glass of wine, but usually just for special occasions. mostly i'm a green tea addict, mostly iced, but i drink a lot of brewed whole leaf teas in the winter.

lori

Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

chiqanita
05-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Hey Corie how's it going!

I know what you mean about "asleep under the table" that would also be me which is why I don't dare have any kind of 'drinks' these days.

I like the ice at our Sonic, too. I usually go for the Root Beer, though. DH loves their Lime Slush.

dhano923
My all time favorite: Gray Goose dirty martini, extra dirty, extra olives

Other drinks I enjoy:
Cranberry and Vodka
Regular margarita (no fruity things)
microbrewed beer (BJ's Brewery does a great raspberry beer!)
Mojitos

For wine, I prefer whites. I love Rieslings and Pinot Grigios.

Corie
I could drink the salsa at Pappasito's. Does that count
as a drink? :)

Puddy73
05-31-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm not much of a drinker, but during both pregnancies I craved margaritas, extra salt and extra lime, please! After I gave birth and could actually drink one, I no longer wanted one.

At social functions I'm just a cold beer gal, preferably ales.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

BaileyBea
05-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Oh I too love the Sonic Ice! It's my favorite. Sonic is my treat when I run errands. Cherry Limeaide.

jenjenfirenjen
05-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Yep, Shiner is a Texas beer. You can get it as far north as Maryland I think but I haven't. I just drink it when I go home.

Funny, my DH is from California and he misses TOGO's too. They actually have some TOGO's up here but it's not the real thing. Same name, totally different menu. Carl's Jr is good too. I also miss Jack in the Box big time. I think I eat a Breakfast Jack every morning when I visit home.

BaileyBea
05-31-2006, 12:52 PM
I used to love to drink wine. My favorite is Pinot Noir, Sparkling wines, and Spanish wines. I wanted to go to Sommiers training. I also love Texas Ice Tea and real good beer like IPA, Fat Tire, and New Castle.

What I now drink: Water, milk, lemonade, and hibicus mint tea.

I miss wine!

mudder17
05-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Hmm...Sex on the Beach is good, but I didn't have it often even before being preggo. I usually stuck to red or white wine. But actually, for a drink I really enjoy, there's something called Alize that is French Cognac, passion fruit, cranberry, and a touch of peach. That one is called the Red Passion and I really love that. Gold Passion is French Cognac and Passion fruit. Wild Passion is French Cognac with Passion Fruit, Mango, and Pink Greatfruit. These are all 32 proof. And Blue Passion is French Vodka, Cognac, Passion fruit, cherry, ginger and a few other tropical fruits. This one is 40 proof. I think I've tried all of these at one time or another and I really enjoy it occasionally, usually before bed. :)

Now I drink: Water with Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, Vitamin Water, Pregnancy Tea with Honey, Yogurt Smoothies, a few other herbal teas.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 27 months...
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_-6_Kaya+is.png
Kaya will be a sister, ~11/14/06!

Corie
05-31-2006, 01:28 PM
Maybe I should ask for a Sonic ice machine for Christmas? :)

bubbaray
05-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Fun!

I never met a cesar (caesar) I didn't like. They are virtually unheard of in the US. Kinda like a Bloody Mary, with Motts Clamato juice (from the UK) instead of tomato juice, plus tobasco and a celery salt rim. Can be garnished with celery, pickled asparagus or a pickled green bean. YUM!

I also like some microbrew beers. DH's fav US micro-beer is Fat Tire.

A friend of ours works in the wine industry, so we're trying to get more "into" that. I like dry whites, DH likes sweeter whites. Oh and Perrier champagne.

Wow, I sound like a lush! Funny thing is we rarely have alcohol in the house and I rarely drink anymore.

For non-alcoholic drinks, I love Diet Coke with Lime, but am trying not to drink it anymore. Instead, I'm drinking home-made iced tea. And water.

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

R2sweetboys
05-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Fun thread! I am definitely a BEER girl when it comes to alcoholic beverages. Good ol' Miller Lite usually but we have a local blueberry ale and a white ale that I splurge on when we go out. I do enjoy a good Margarita with salt on occasion but generally I just don't like any kind of hard liquor. Oh, I also like wine sometimes-Chardonnay or *gasp* White Zin. I'm definitely no connoisseur. Kendall Jackson or Beringer work just fine for me, though it sounds like I'd like a Riesling. O.K., do I not sound like the biggest lush right now?! Really, I only drink socially and in moderation. There's no time for hang-overs with two busy little boys running around. :) As far as day-to-day drinks, coffee in the morning and water or juice during the day. I like root beer or Sprite but I don't buy it for home.

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

KBecks
05-31-2006, 02:41 PM
I like red wine and pina coladas (on vacation) and margaritas. I'm not even going to read this thread because it will still be a while before I can think about drinking... but after baby #2 is here, I'll be happy to enjoy something.

I also like amaretto sours.

chiqanita
05-31-2006, 02:43 PM
I hear ya on "no time for hang-overs with two busy little boys running around", my two keep me on my toes and I have no time to be less than 100%.

cmdunn1972
05-31-2006, 03:09 PM
Sorry, I just saw your post now. (This thread has been busy!) :)

I really like Riesling Spatlese. (The word "Spatlese" designates how long the grape stayed on the vine before harvest. Not as long as an Auslese or Eiswein, but longer than a Kabinett from the same grower.) The ones I ususally buy are from Germany's Mosel-Saar-Ruwer region (basically the Mosel River valley). For years, 2002, '03, and '04 are really good, but I haven't tried any '05 yet. Spatlese is technically an "off-dry" wine (meaning little aftertaste). I've found some decent Spatlese for reasonable cost. Not sure what your price range is, but Joh. Jos. Prum was rated well for all the years I mentioned and is also the priciest (about $25/bottle). Karl Erbes makes a similar tasting Spatlese for around $18/bottle. Adolph Mueller Piesporter makes one (not quite as good, but costs less) for about $10/bottle. I've also found some local vinters who make Riesling for about $10/bottle.

Really, if you're interested in Riesling, Spatlese and Auslese are great off-dry drinking wines. Just do some tastings and find one or two within your price range that you like! Don't let anyone try to tell you differently. Rieslings go well with food (though not steak). I've loved them paired with everything from seafood, chicken, spicy food, and cheese (as a before dinner wine).

HTH!

AddiesMom
05-31-2006, 03:13 PM
There is a Spanish Tapas restaurant in Boston that serves awesome Sangria. DH offered to take me there last summer but I said "no" since Sangria was off-limits and I would just get depressed seeing everone else drink it. On the 24th, we are going to a baseball game and then I plan on drowning in a pitcher of it afterwards! Oh I can't wait!!!!

In college I lived off Alabama Slammers! Yikes!

JulieL
05-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Cranberry Italian Soda from Whole Foods (365 brand) YUM! And local coffee roasters, yum, I LOVE coffee!!!

bostonsmama
05-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Grey Goose Vodka w/ white cranberry juice (my sig cocktail)

Key Lime Margaritas (first had these at Kelly's Caribbean Bar/Grill in Key West...so delicious) :9

Wine: Vintage Port, Late Harvest Rieslings, Spatlese, Gewurtrameiner

Beer: Michelobe Amber Ultra (so yummy & low carb), or Yuengling

That looks like a lot, but I only partake 2-3 times a week to keep myself sane. Alas, soon it's gonna be zero. :( ....but it's all for a good cause! :)

Haha, oh yeah....for regular drinking, I do lots of Crystal Light, Diet Coke, water and Tazo passion tea. W/ PCOS I'm not supposed to drink a lot of sugary beverages...well, not supposed to drink alcohol either....but oh well.

Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

chiqanita
05-31-2006, 10:19 PM
What's an Alabama Slammer?

mamato1
05-31-2006, 10:34 PM
Michelle-

You just gave me a HUGE blast from the past!!! The first time I got really drunk in college was on Alabama Slammers. Oh my gosh, I remember having to practically jump onto the bed in my dorm room because it was spinning. To this day the smell of one still makes me turn green!

I do miss amaretto sours and gin and tonics. I don't drink much at all anymore due to some bladder issues. In fact, my bladder is sensitive to anything acidic, carbonated, or caffeinated. So all I drink now is water and milk. If I am feeling really crazy I have a decaf iced tea. I can only imagine the envy you must all be experiencing over my crazy and exciting life! :)

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

mudder17
05-31-2006, 10:48 PM
>Wine: Vintage Port, Late Harvest Rieslings, Spatlese,
>Gewurtrameiner
I love all of these except the Port. And I've developed a taste for some of the red wines (DH is an amateur connoiseur, if there is any such thing).

>Beer: Michelobe Amber Ultra (so yummy & low carb), or
>Yuengling
The only one I can stand is Negro Medelo and a few specialty ones that DH has found that don't taste yeasty to me. It's the yeasty flavor I can't stand in almost all the beers.

>That looks like a lot, but I only partake 2-3 times a week to
>keep myself sane. Alas, soon it's gonna be zero. :( ....but
>it's all for a good cause! :)
Here's hoping that in July/August, it'll be zero! :)

>Haha, oh yeah....for regular drinking, I do lots of Crystal
>Light, Diet Coke, water and Tazo passion tea. W/ PCOS I'm not
>supposed to drink a lot of sugary beverages...well, not
>supposed to drink alcohol either....but oh well.
Artificial sweeteners either taste wrong to me or make my head hurt (literally). I love the Tazo teas, though (have you tried the ginger & lemon one?) and for sweetening any of my teas (I sweeten some and not others), I like using raw honey.

Eileen

farsk
05-31-2006, 10:55 PM
Bourbon and ginger ale with a twist of lime. ;)

denna
06-01-2006, 01:43 AM
I LOVE sex on the beach (yum yum). Long beach iced tea later became my new fave!!! (For those who aren't sure it's just like a Long Island ice tea except instead of coke it has cranberry juice). When I first came to Italy (b4 I got pregnant) I tried this drink called a Schivalo (she-vah-low) I think that's how its spelt. Anyways it was so yummy it's strawberry vodka (yummy) and lemon soda!
I love bailey's on ice 2 ;).

Great post (aww the memories) :)

Now I drink Rasperry ice tea (preferably nestea but all they have here is snapple), water, fat free milk, 7-up and sometimes chocholate milk (2%)!:D

<FOR ALL THE WINE DRINKERS> I personally don't like wine BUT an interesting little tid bit is here in Italy wine is SO inexpensive and my DH and I have actually had wine salesmen (whatever there called) ask us to bring them California wine when we go home, they LOVE California wine.

I just find that amusing because Italian wine is pretty expensive in some places and here California wine is wanted :D. The grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side.

Denna

denna
06-01-2006, 01:45 AM
That is so funny I was going to ask the same thing. I've often heard about a Mojito but I never had any idea what it was! :D I even went to bartending classes when I was younger...

Thanks for expaining it :D

Denna

denna
06-01-2006, 01:49 AM
I'm from Cali!!! I miss In & Out!!! And basically anything that isn't Italian food :D! All I get to eat is pizza/pasta/caprese/bruschetta day in and day out. No apple bee's, roadhouse, or other steakhouses, no chines, japanese, etc. :(

LoL and funny thing, I worked at Carl's Jr when I was in H.S!

bostonsmama
06-01-2006, 09:55 AM
>Artificial sweeteners either taste wrong to me or make my head hurt (literally).

Same here. Recently I've started to have a real distate for them. I think it's my body's way of preparing me for this crazy journey. As of July 10th, when we officially start injections, it's NO caffeine (goodbye Diet Coke :( ), NO alcohol, NO artificial sweeteners. The only thing I can afford to put sugar in is my coffee, which is so rare it's ridiculous...and then it's sugar in the raw (brown stuff). Quick question: Did you stop using raw honey in your tea when you got pregnant. I remember reading something about unpasturized honey either being a risk for some kind of bacteria? or allergies in unborn child? Correct me if I'm wrong.

TIA.
Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

psophia17
06-01-2006, 10:04 AM
There's a riesling I used to get while living in NYC - I forget the name of the winery, but it's in the Catskills, and the bottle was tall, skinny, royal blue, and less than $10 in 2003. DH and I did a wine tasting - we had three bottles of riesling to try, and that's the only one that we finished.

Also for rieslings, (and I think for most whites) the further north that the winery is, the colder it is, and the sweeter the wine will be. I prefer German to French rieslings for that reason, but upstate NY, Washington state, and Canada have tons of great rieslings, and they tend not to be as expensive as European versions.

psophia17
06-01-2006, 10:09 AM
DH swears by Ceasars - but only from the Keg, which he claims invented the thing (he and BIL both worked there for years and years).

juliasmom05
06-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I am not a big fan of the wines in my area, but Hermann J. Wiemer Riesling is quite good. It's supposedly one of the best NY Rieslings. I think they have a Late Harvest desert Riesling.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

starrynight
06-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Water, coffee, tea.

In the adult variety ;): cranberry juice mixed with sprite and bacardi limon (sometimes I skip the sprite), long islands, margaritas or rum and coke. I rarely drink but if I do it's one of the above. I hate beer and wine, although once in awhile I don't mind having a corona with dh.

mamamayi
06-01-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm a huge chocolate milk fan! I like the kind that is already made in the plastic jugs at the store. I only buy small quantities and then only on rare occasions because I have to drink it all... The good news is that pregnancy doesn't affect this love of mine! :9

mudder17
06-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Raw honey is totally fine. The risk is with the small amount of botulism spores that MIGHT be in the honey. The reason it's bad with a newborn is because their stomachs are not acidic enough to break down the spore. With a pregnant woman, our stomachs are totally acidic enough to break down any possible spore, so nothing bad would ever reach the newborn. I'm not sure if I explained that well, but let me know if this doesn't make sense. :)

Eileen