PDA

View Full Version : Need bra help, or "what happened to my boobs?"

morgan47
05-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi ladies. I recently stopped breastfeeding after 16 months, and have discovered that my pre-pregnancy bras just don't fit well anymore. I used to be a 36B, but now my bras are a little “puckered,� so I guess I shrunk (and am not quite as perky either). I’ve been wearing my Blue Canoe Jane bras that I wore while nursing, and while they are so very comfortable, I’d like something with a little more structure. I need to start from scratch since I wasn’t really happy with my pre-pregnancy bras anyway. I’m very picky and am sensitive to uncomfortable clothes, so it is difficult for me to find anything that I like. I am hoping that I can get some advice here. Here are my requirements:

1) No underwire (uncomfy and not necessary for my little girls)
2) Not too thin straps (spaghetti-thin straps tend to dig into my bony shoulders)
3) No or minimal lace (itchy)
4) Don’t need a padded bra, but slightly lined would be good (my office is cold…if you know what I mean).

I figure that I’m going to have to go get myself measured and try on a bunch of bras as usual, but if anyone can recommend a particular brand, style, or store to get me started, that would be most helpful. In the past I have usually gone to Mervyns or Victoria’s Secret.

Thanks for helping! I’m sure I’m not alone in my bra/post-nursing boobs dilemma.

kristenk
05-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Do you have a Nordstrom's nearby? If so, GO! I kept trying to measure at home or just guess what size I was based on how old bras fit and I purchased 2 different sets of bras before being fitted at Nordstrom's. The bras I bought for myself were horrible, but the fitter found a couple of bras for me right away. It was amazingly speedy. Okay, I'll stop now. LOL

rlu
05-31-2006, 02:00 PM
I too recently dumped the nursing bras and threw out my pre-pregnancy bras. I have a Playtex outlet nearby, so I meandered my way through the store picking up ones I thought would fit. Ha! Broke down and had the girl meaure me - I was way off in my thinking. Anyway, definitely get measured, it will save you time (I hate bra shopping!)

I have two so far, nothing special, one Playtex 18hour and one lillyette(sp?). I need support and don't want underwire so I went with the Playtex line for my everyday bra. The lillyette adds a little more va-voom for special occassions.

Rebecca
DS 3/29/04

morgan47
05-31-2006, 03:35 PM
Yes, I have a Nordstrom near me. I will definitely go there and get measured. I'm probably way off on what I think my size is too (at least I know it's not what it used to be!). Bra shopping ranks right up there with bathing suit shopping as one of my least favorite activities, but it must be done.

I have been to our Playtex/Bali outlet, but didn't see anything I liked (should've gotten measured then, though).

kristenk
05-31-2006, 03:41 PM
I was amazed at how quick and painless bra shopping was on the day I got measured! Definitely try to go at a non-peak time, though, to minimize the wait. Too bad I can't do swimsuit shopping the same way!

kozachka
05-31-2006, 04:27 PM
I like Body line from Victoria Secret, there is a no wire one in the line but even the ones with wires don't feel uncomfortable. The one I have is not too padded, just enough to smooth things over. And I prefer demi rather than full coverage. Try to go during off-peak time to get better service and approach a sales person with about the same bra size as you if you can.

chiqanita
05-31-2006, 06:13 PM
Yup, Nordstrom is the place to go. When I stopped nursing I went to Nordstroms to be measured and the gal was so nice and patient, I had my twins with me, she would run out and get me whatever I needed. I was a little embarassed and said something about "I know I'm still going to be losing weight" and she said "oh, honey you look great and don't need to lose anymore especially if you have to run after those two little guys." Well, I think I ended up with a 'girl-crush' on her after that comment.

I ended up with 2 good bras. I was a 38 C pre-pregnancy and now I'm a 38DD or 38D depending on the bra. And you better believe I have an underwire!!! ;D Now I get my bras at Target, I love my Gilligan O'Malleys!

cmdunn1972
05-31-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm a tiny girl, too. In fact, I'm too tiny even for VS (not quite an A -- TMI?). I like myself the way I am, and so does my hubby, but it's annoying to not be able to walk into a normal store to buy a bra that fits! (I was *THAT* close to getting a consultation for a boob job -- okay, not really.) So, while I was at the outlet stores on Monday, I walked into a Playtex outlet and bought a bra, a 34NA (nearly A). It's a basic bra with no underwire, some padding, and a slightly narrow (but not spaghetti) strap. The best thing is that I finally have a bra that contours my shape with out a huge gap that would land me on Oprah's "Women Who Wear Bras That Don't Fit" episode. FINALLY! :)

ppshah
05-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Another vote for Body by victoria's secret. They have one that's without underwire and light padding.

farsk
05-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Another vote for the Body bra at Victoria's Secret...

After giving your baby the absolute best, your boobs need the absolute best, too! Indulge......and maybe check La Perla online for something special! ;)

Coolamber
05-31-2006, 11:18 PM
Dillards is a good place to get bras. The ladies their fit you and then bring you bras that they think will fit you best. Saves you all that work. I buy all my bras their and have had great service.
Mollie

lizajane
06-01-2006, 06:32 AM
i saw a bra in a harmony/gaiam catalog that looked AMAZING. i will see if i can find a link. sounds like exactly what you would want.

http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product.asp?product%5Fid=20%2D0192+MSTR