PDA

View Full Version : do you go out for pedicures or do it at home?

skohng
05-31-2006, 04:00 PM
if you're sensitive about feet please don't read!!

i used to never have to worry about my feet before having ds. maybe b.c i went to the beach or worked out (natural exfoliation!)

but staying at home most of the time, barefoot, on hardwood floors, has done a number on my feet. the bottoms of my feet looks ORANGE from all the layers of dead skin. they really feel calcified. my heels are all cracked and the balls of my feet under my big toes are hard as rocks!

ok TMI, im' sorry -- but all that to ask, is this something i can fix at home or will i have to go out and get a pedi? (i guess if i HAVE to i must...:) i will say i'm a little embarrassed to show my feet to other pple. if i do get it professionaly done what is a good price range and what kind of services should i ask for/expect?

thanks!

JBaxter
05-31-2006, 04:03 PM
For $20 I let someone else deal w/ my feet. I go about every 3 weeks.

bubbaray
05-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Wow, a $20 pedicure? Last time I went, it was $100! $20 is just a polish change here.

I don't have time to go out for it. In fact, I'm soaking my feet right now, LOL! ;)

I would definitely go to get someone to do the "dirty" work for you the first few times, to get the dogs back in shape. Once you are in maintenance mode, its easier at home.

JMHO

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

skohng
05-31-2006, 04:19 PM
haha thanks. these dogs are barking for some attention that's for sure...

are all pedis standard? the last time i got a pedi was for senior prom so i don't even remember what happened. at the pedi and the prom, that is.

JBaxter
05-31-2006, 04:25 PM
All the ones that I have gotten are. Soak / sand off the heals / cuticle removal paint and dry :) I do an regular manicure and my eyebrow wax for $37. My monthly "treat" to myself. Oh I go to one of the "nail" places most of the employees there speak vietnamese Salons will KILL you on pedicures

maestramommy
05-31-2006, 05:51 PM
I haven't the slightest idea how to do feet except cut toenails. I have it done. For less than $20 too!

ETA: LOL Jeana! I go to the Vietnamese place too!

jasabo
06-01-2006, 01:11 AM
I can't recommend this enough:

www.microplane.com

Go to the Personal Care section and look for the Foot File. It's like a cheese grater for your feet. I know it sounds gross and painful, but it's totally not! My feet were terrible - I wear flip flops year round and swim a lot, so they're really dry and icky. I've had tons of pedicures and they help them feel smooth for like a day, then they're bad again. I tried every foot cream and pumice stone around and nothing helped. But the Microplane is fabulous!! I have an Orb and a Paddle. I like the Orb better, but some prefer the Paddle.

At night, I usually do the Microplane, then wash my feet and put on a good lotion and a pair of socks. Works great!!

Lisa - mom to 2 yr old twin boys

dhano923
06-01-2006, 02:08 AM
I get pedis every 3-4 weeks. My feet get very dry and my heels start to crack if I go more than a month without a pedi (even after pumicing and moisturizing them at home). I also go to a Vietnamese owned nail salon -- I pay $17 for a spa pedicure, plus tip. If I decide to get flowers painted on my big toenails, it's an extra $4.

When you arrive for your appointment, just point out what you want them to really work on (ie. cuticles or if you want them to shave off the hard skin). I always have them pumice my heels really well.

Don't be embarrassed about your feet -- that's what you pay them for, not to mention they've probably seen worse. ;)

Melanie
06-01-2006, 02:16 AM
HOme, and they're not great (hence why I've yet to put on the summer sandals). However those nail places creep me out! Not for hands, just for feet. I don't know why but I just can't stand the thought of someone working on my feet. A friend teased me recently when we were planning our spa day. The next week another friend confided she had a horrid nail infection/fungal thing she got from a pedicure! Ha!

Anyway...shudder...I do nothing. Occasinally a parafin dip. I'm going to check out that microplane and make sure to go barefoot at the beach next time. ;)

Moneypenny
06-01-2006, 09:14 AM
I haven't personally used this but I know tons of people (women and men) who swear by the microplane and they say it doesn't hurt at all and does a fabulous job!

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

bostonsmama
06-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Oh, you mean feet aren't supposed to be hard and orange? (LOL) ;)

In the handful of times I've had it done, there is an asian-run nail salon near me that charges roughly $30 for a mani-pedi...and the pedicure is in a vibrating spa chair with a medium sized whirlpool tub beneath where you soak your tootsies and get all clean and rubbed up. Just beware to shave your legs before you go since they'll rub lotion half way up your leg! Also, if you bring your own toe separator, they'll use that instead of cotton tissues. Also, some places will use a razor to shave off dead skin/callouses (sp?), and technically that's considered a surgical procedure anytime they do that...so they'd have to have a medical license (but they don't)...so you might opt to NOT have that done, although most law enforcement looks the other way. It's just hard to know how they medically sanitize the razor which could be infected with blood-bourne illnesses (well, didn't mean to freak you out...but this is a big topic in the media in our area these days).

Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

skohng
06-01-2006, 10:29 AM
RAZORS!! :O i'll take the microplane thank you very much.

it's funny, b/c there are TONS Of vietnamese nail salons around here! i just never knew if they'd be good. thanks for all the tips ladies. so it sounds like you need a pedi about once a month for maintenance?

how about at-home gear? should i just slather on vaseline/lotion and put on a pair of socks at night? any good, rich, creamy lotion recs?

ajmom
06-01-2006, 10:34 AM
I bought some cool stuff at Sally Beauty Supply by a company called Heel to Toe. They have exfoliating lotion that you rub on (you have to rub a while) and then the dead skin just rolls off. Great for maintenance! And be sure to use a good moisturizer, too!. :)

bostonsmama
06-01-2006, 10:59 AM
The perfect time to rasp off callouses is about a minute after you get out of the shower. Let your heels slightly dry, but still be a little moist around the toes, then go to town w/ the microplane or pumice or washable sand-paper paddle. Sit on the edge of the bed, put a towl down, and watch hundreds of disgusting little dead skin rasps flake to the floor. It's so gross, but your feet will be left buttery soft afterwards. Then, slather on a good lotion (I like Original Curel) or vaseline, don some socks and off you go. My DH does my pedis at home. It's our agreement since he's too cheap to let me get it done at the salon. So, when the piddies need painting...he'll push back the cuticles, lotion up the foot, remove any nail polish traces and paint a pefect nail from base coat to color to top coat. Sigh...what a good Dh I have!

Larissa

s_gosney
06-01-2006, 11:10 AM
That is a good dh, Larissa! Do his military buddies know about this?!? ;)

My dh has been known to help me color my hair at home when I'm too cheap to pay to have it done. I could never get him to paint toenails though. LOL.

m448
06-01-2006, 11:17 AM
this is amazing:

http://www.tweezerman.com/index.cfm?page=productdetail&prod=197

it's not as harsh as pumice but even more effective. I do my own pedis and am glad since watching the news on the cases of ringworm at high end spas. If you take care of your feet you shouldn't have to cut your cuticles.

Marielle

Ian - born 10/03
&
Ryan - born 01/06

bostonsmama
06-01-2006, 01:50 PM
He'd DIE if I told any of his work buddies....although we military wives often "out" our husband's sensative behaviors when we get together in a group. To some men, feet are gross...w/ Dh it's just not a big deal...that and it's only twice a month.

That is so cool that your DH will help you color your hair. I'd end up looking like a skunk if I tried to do it myself. I helped DH warm up to it by having him write the check to have it professionally colored!! $100 vs $7? Seeing his big, manly hands wedged into those tiny plastic gloves....PRICELESS!

Larissa

KBecks
06-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Let me start by saying my feet aren't pretty and keeping them pretty is fairly low on my priority list. :)

But, I've given myself home pedicures, mainly a good long foot soak, some work with a pumice stone, a lot of moisturizer, etc.

I'm probably not doing it the professional way (someone once told me they had something like a grater used on their feet -- I was quite alarmed by that description.) but the home pedicure satisfies me and I like saving the $30 or more that a pedi would cost.

One thing I've heard is to get a professional one at the beginning of sandal season and then just do the maintenance of soaking, moisturizing, nail care and polish changes, etc. et. over the summer to save $$.

KBecks
06-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Wow...wow...wow!! You do have a great DH! I couldn't even think about ASKING my DH to paint my toes for me!! And I can't imagine the difficulty he would have trying to do it reasonably well!

skohng
06-01-2006, 04:00 PM
seriously. maybe your dh should open up a small business :)