PDA

View Full Version : How on earth do you keep ice on a toddler?

hudsonam
05-31-2006, 07:41 PM
My son clocked his head on the lever that keeps the tub from draining and actually split the skin a little on his eyelid. There was no way he was letting me put ice on it. He only cried for a couple seconds, so he seemed to be fine, but I know it's going to look pretty bad in the morning.

Has anyone ever figured out how to hold ice on a baby or toddler? I've never had any success.

PS - I have a cover for the spout, but do they make covers for that other lever thing?

TonFirst
05-31-2006, 10:30 PM
We have this pluch ice pack thingy that looks like a bear head. I aptly named him Cold Bear and he lives in the freezer. When Adam bonks himself and I know it's going to swell (like when he plopped himself headfirst on an asphalt driveway, resulting in an immediate goose-egg on his forehead), we go to the freezer to get Cold Bear. I usually make up some story about Cold Bear's adventures to distract Adam while I hold Cold Bear to the bonk. He usually only lets me hold him on there for a few seconds at a time, but I can usually keep Adam in my lap for about five minutes or so with intermittent Cold Bear contact, which seems to help.

hudsonam
06-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks! I should definitely get something like that.

Lynnie
06-01-2006, 12:20 PM
we have the "ice piggy" - got it at a drugstore. Sometimes they'll ask for ice piggy. But, my DSs only let me keep it on for a few seconds at a time too. FWIW, I banged the heck out of my ankle last night and got the good old ice piggy to put on it, and it WAS really cold ! I may use a thin receiving blanket for a liner, maybe they'll let me keep it on longer that way.

KBecks
06-01-2006, 04:34 PM
I was told by the pedi that it's not a bad time to have the child watch a TV show or movie while you're holding the ice on.

s7714
06-01-2006, 05:44 PM
My DD doesn't mind putting ice on her boo-boos now, but the only way we could ever get her to let us do it before was to count while holding the ice on her. We'd tell her at the start "ok, we're going to hold this on your boo-boo until we count to 30" and then she'd help count. Sometimes we'd have to put it on Mommy or DH first and count so she'd feel more comfortable, but 9 times out of 10 the counting would side track her enough that she'd let us hold it on the area. After we finish one round of counting, we'll stop for 30 seconds to a minute and then count again. Obviously it's not going to work for every kid, but I thought I'd mention it.

Jennifer
Mommy to
DD 3/03
DD 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
(100 posts & BBB member for 3 months req'd)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/