PDA

View Full Version : Heel pain, anyone else?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-01-2006, 09:34 AM
My heels started hurting when I was pregnant and I attributed it to the huge weight gain. Now the weight is gone and my heels are still killing me. Even in bed sometimes the weight of the covers hurts. Does anyone have experience with this, even walking barefoot in my house is hurting. Thank you.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

elliput
06-01-2006, 09:40 AM
You may have heel spurs, which can be very painful. Definitely make a dr appt and have your feet checked out.

kath68
06-01-2006, 09:47 AM
My first thought is plantar fasciitis:

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/987116429.html

Pretty common.

slknight
06-01-2006, 10:15 AM
It does sound like plantar fasciitis and it sucks. :( Is the pain worse in the morning when you get out of bed or when you first stand up after sitting for awhile?

Dee150
06-01-2006, 12:03 PM
This is exactly what I have. In my case too it was during pregnancy and has continued . DS is now almost 2 but the pain is not there all the time. If I get lots of rest (!!) its a lot less painful. One other thing- with pregnancy, my feet kinda spread out and are wider and bigger. Getting shoes in a larger size helped a lot, esp. athletic shoes. If its really painful, an ice-pack really helps.

I clicked on the link above, and it has a lot of info. My doc (orthopedic dr.) didn't even diagnose this; I didn't know there was a treatment regimen for this. Thanks for the link.
Between this and my "housemaid's knee" :-) and occasional sciatic pain, I really need to find someone (doc) to help. Rest helps with everything- but with a super-active toddler...!

(My great-grandmother had 9 kids - and I have all this stuff with one pgy.!!)

brittone2
06-01-2006, 12:08 PM
It could be plantar fasciitis or a heel spur as others have mentioned.

There are several things that can be effective. If it is either one of those conditions (obviously you'd need to have it properly diagosed first ;) ) orthotics are a huge help. Pronation (when the foot rolls inward slightly) really aggrevates both of these conditions, and orthotics can be very helpful. Walking barefoot, as you've discovered, can be very painful and will probably aggrevate things a lot. If you can get some quality orthotics, be sure to wear them in your shoes at home when walking around. Sandals and other less supportive shoes are also not great when it is flared up. Really, ideally it would be good to look into orthotics, and wear them *often*.

There are also some stretches that can be done that can help, particularly with plantar fasciitis.

Sleeping with your feet in tightly tucked covers can also make it worse as that creates a "pointed toe" position all night, which makes the fascia tighten up.

Physical therapy can help if you need it.

JElaineB
06-01-2006, 12:09 PM
It sounds like plantar fasciitis, which I have in my left foot. It is getting better though since I switched to wearing my Birkenstocks all the time again. Do not walk around barefoot, it will only make it worse. I have found this website to be helpful: http://www.heelspurs.com. I have tried the stretching exercises from the website (basically a hamstring stretch held for 2 minutes) and it does help.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

jayali
06-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Susan,

Sounds like you got some really good info, but thought I would chime in also. Apparently when you are pregnant your hormones "relax" tendons to let your belly grow and get you ready for labor. In some cases after pregnancy your tendons can shrink back, but in some cases they don't. That was my case and I suffered for almost a year with horrific pain. I went to a podiatrist, for an unrelated issue and he recommended orthotics. They make a HUGE difference. I had tried everything else before but my orthotics really make my feet feel fine. The only problem is they were made for my sneakers, which I don't usually wear, unless I am at the gym (which is not regularly or often enough!!). My doc also recommended that I start wearing shoes with a heal when not in my orthotics. He said NEVER to wear completely flat shoes - which I used to live in. He was right. If I haven't worn my sneakers in a few days then I wear a heal and the pain does subside. Has something to do with stretching the tendon. I also have a slight case of plantar fascitis.

I also recommend reflexology. There is no bigger treat then a 30 minute foot massage. I am sure that may be difficult with two kids, but hey if you are looking for a little mommy time then I can't think of a better treat.

My biggest advice is to get a good recommendation for a podiatrist or orthopedist. Ask people who have had orthotics made if they are happy with their doctor. Ill fitting orthotics can make you feel worse.

Good luck. I so feel your pain - literally!!

chiqanita
06-01-2006, 12:33 PM
I had and have something similar but found that when I wear shoes indoors (slippers or flip flops) and my sensible / comfortable shoes outdoors (Birkenstocks mostly) my heels don't hurt.

I haven't been to a foot doctor but plan to when I have some time...ha ha ;D

AngelaS
06-01-2006, 01:47 PM
I have plantar fascitis too and it hurts! Does yours feel like you're stepping on a dagger when you first stand up in the morning? OW!

I found that stretching my feet before I stand up helps, as does wearing my tennies w/orthotics in all the time. Mine's flaring up right now, because when it's warm I go barefoot or wear sandals all the time, which is BAD!

I feel for you! Get well soon!

lvales
06-01-2006, 08:30 PM
I agree with everyone else - sounds like plantar fascitis. I had it at the very end of my pregnancy and it finally went away about a year after my dd was born.

My main thing was wearing my Birks inside at all times when I'm downstairs (it's all hardwood floors). I still do that.

Also, stretching your feet before you get out of bed can help with the early morning pain.

My mom has this and she has the orthotics that she has to wear all the time, and she had to have PT and cortisone injections in her heel (which she said hurt more than anything she's ever felt in her life). Luckily mine resolved itself.

Good luck!