PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun...Something nobody here would ever think about you

TaChapm
06-01-2006, 10:16 AM
I thought this would be a fun way to get to know eachother a little better. We all seem to know about our parenting styles and children but what about the things we don't tell about ourselves.

Here goes:

I LOVE NASCAR

I am a huge KISS fan and spent the summer 2 years ago going to every show they did in Texas. My sister and I happened to get in good with Gene and his assistant and got front row seats and back stage passes to all their Texas shows. We called ourselves the Banger Sisters even though we didn't do anything. It was so much fun. My children will die when they see the pictures! :) I'm such a conservative mom all the time but at least I know how to have fun.

I was married at 19 (DH was 27) and we wanted babies right away which most people think is crazy. I left a full ride scholarship at Texas A&M to follow DH and his job. I have never even looked back and don't regret my decision one bit. I am happy to say that we have a solid marriage and I love that I have been able to prove everyone who said it wouldn't last wrong.

I love to go fishing although I now worry that something will happen to the boys so we don't go like we used to.

I one day hope to have a children's book published. It has always been a dream of mine to be the next Dr. Seuss.

OK...Now it's your turn! :)

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
OMG!!! It's a GIRL!! Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/kLMem8.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

bcky2
06-01-2006, 11:23 AM
ok ill give it a try here :)

i have come a long way from where i was at. i started drugs and drinking at the age of 13(yes 13 :( ) from the age of 13-24 i did alot of partying and dating. mostly my current dh but we did have on and off times(i met him when i was 15). in 2000 i gave up drinking(a habbit that was running me about $300 a week) and smoking(more then cigaretts). i thank my lucky stars that i lived thru all that i did(there where some close calls!)

i love to read and my dream was to be a writter or an editor. i think that when my boys are in school i am going to see about following that dream.

i have a hard time standing up for myself and tend to let people take advantage of me.

i give alot and believe that what goes around comes around.

i am very sensitive and cry over alot of weird things :)

i love to go out 4 wheeling and would love to learn to ride a dirt bike in the future.

me and my dh used to be into spectator racing and he raced often while i helped out in the pit. boy i miss thoes days :)

chiqanita
06-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Okay, I'll share.

In my teens I was interested in the paranormal and supernatural: 'ghosts', spirits, near death experiences and the stories of an afterlife, all of that stuff was facinating to me.

In high school I wanted to be a Parapsychologist. I read up on haunted buildings (like old homes), ships (like the Queen Mary), and the experiences of people who had died and come back to life. In my late 20s my interest was re-ignited when I learned about Danion Brinkley. I read his books and others that dealt with life after death experiences. I do believe that to some extent that it is real. Ooooooooh! ;) I'm still interested in this kind of stuff which explains why Dean Koontz is my favorite author.

On a lighter note, I used to play co-ed baseball in my 20s, our team was the MAD DOGS. I also played a lot of volleyball, I had a mean serve but wasn't that great at spiking.

karolyp
06-01-2006, 12:45 PM
I think this is a GREAT idea for a thread! Thanks for starting it.

I got married at 19 too (DH was 21). We actually eloped to Las Vegas!! Nobody thought it would last either, but we were able to overcome some major cultural/religious differences and I was able to finish school, earn my MBA, and now we have a beautiful daughter to cherish. Next year we will celebrate our 10 year anniversary!

Some of the coolest things I've done are...
Swam (more like floated) in the Dead Sea
Visited Jerusalem and Bethlehem
Climbed a glacier in Norway
flew onboard a C2 to the USS Kennedy and caught the wire (hence I am a honorary tailhooker LOL)
stood on the launch pad next to the space shuttle

I've always wanted to become a pilot and contemplated joining the military to do so after college, but was told my eyesight was too bad (I'm legally blind without my contacts).

I would love, though, to buy a house with a barn and a bunch of acreage. One can dream, right?

buddyleebaby
06-01-2006, 12:49 PM
We married when I was 19, too. We married the day after my dh's 19 birthday.

I'm an opera buff.

The only music I listen to on a daily basis is Irish folk tunes.

I have no friends who are the same race or ethnicity as me, except for my sister.

I am terrified of parrots.

ETC typos. BLAH!

hez
06-01-2006, 01:02 PM
I get to make high dollar decisions at work :) Gotta love the power!

I effectively have a poly sci minor (never bothered to have it signed off when I graduated). Mostly because politics drive me nuts and I wanted to know more. I still stay out of it 'cause it still drives me nuts ;)

I'm a rollercoaster fanatic. I've been in withdrawal the last few summers with pregnancy, a small child, etc. No free fall kind of stuff-- wooden and steel coasters, please! It doesn't help that when the wind's blowing right in the summer I can hear the sounds of the amusement park nearby.

Y'all have probably already figured out that I was a goody-two-shoes growing up, and followed the straight and narrow. I wish I'd have rebelled somewhere along the line though!

Neat topic :)

TaChapm
06-01-2006, 01:32 PM
I am a coaster fanatic as well! I absolutely love the thrill of it and have missed my coasters over the past few years of being pregnant.

I also went Sky Diving twice and LOVED it! It is something I would like to do again but I worry about something happening and leaving my babies without a mom. Motherhood has made me a complete worrier and take far fewer risks than I used to.

Tara
Tyler William 6-9-05

ribbit1019
06-01-2006, 02:04 PM
King's Island right Hez??
I am going to Cedar Point tomorrow. My first round of coasters in three years!!

Well I am way too open about things here so not much of this may be a surprise!!

I love to take risks, though I wish I would have done more of the dangerous things before I had kids. I too worry about leaving them without a mommy. Bungy jumping, sky diving, roller coasters, high dives, all right up my alley. DH thinks I'm nuts and is deathly afraid of heights.

I was engaged to DH for 2 and a half years before we were married, and we married at 22 DH was 24. Everyone told us we were too young.

I had my first miscarrage at 22 after being married for only 4 months and after three consecutive miscarriages was one of the youngest patients at my IVF Dr.'s office (at 24).

I lived in Germany with an exchange family for a month when I was 14.

I love to travel abroad but haven't been able to do it that much. I can't wait to show my kids Europe.

I am an organizing freak, but you wouldn't know it if you walked into my house and looked around.

I never did drugs, seriously, never tried even one little puff of pot. Oddly enough I was never offered, not that I didn't hang out at parties where is was happening, I just never did it.

I've smoked 4 cigarette's in my life and the first one was at age 11 (!) last one was at my bachlorette party at 22. I was WAY drunk and someone told me I did, I barely remember, apparently I caught someone's sweater on fire, whoops!

ETA: Eri reminded me! I have a rather large tatoo of a frog on my lower back. It was about 6 inches long, not sure how big it is now since I have gained 70 lbs since I got it. :( I went in to get a small outline of a frog and walked out with what DH fondly refered to as my "mural".

Larissa reminded me that I pass out when any medical procedure is even talked about being done to me (i.e. wisdom teeth and ingrown toenail surgery mostly recently). I used to pass out near any needle but after nearly two years of being stuck daily with blood thinners and having my blood taken for pregnancy related reasons I am pretty much over it.

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
& Jarred 3/8/06, 14 lb 24 1/2" @ 10 wks, a happily breastfed babe.
http://b1.lilypie.com/KH1pm5/.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

TaChapm
06-01-2006, 02:19 PM
I was the youngest person in the office doing IVF at 22. It is amazing how people judged me when I told them how old I was. We had tried for 3 years so it was time to make the move. Regardless of my age we wanted a baby.

I'm also right there with you on the drugs. I never tried them. Not once and they were all over our school. I had no idea but one of my closest friends and doubles tennis partner was huge into drugs. I had no clue! I always wanted to think the best of everyone and they hid it from me very well. I did drink in HS more than I would like to admit. I am scared out of my mind about having teenagers!

Tara
Tyler William 6-9-05

kijip
06-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Never done drugs, smoked anything or even been drunk. Many assume that a Seattle gal into punk rock would have had some wild days but no. My wild nights are all about the music and and dancing!

I find my considerable political involvment to be like pulling teeth. Would really rather not a lot of the time, but it is necessary for me.

I am considered something of a conservative in my circle of friends despite being a proud liberal, especially on social issues. Now that might surprize a few here, no? LOL.

I am also a serious opera fan but I think I have mentioned that here. I have on more than one occasion attended a rock concert, a punk show, a hip hop concert, a folk festival and an opera in the same week. Heck sometimes even 2 on the same day! My favorite was when J and I shared a box at the symphony with a couple that was just so thrilled that a young couple was into classical music and not "that hip-hop stuff".

s_gosney
06-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Fun thread!
Well, I too have always been a goody goody. The only alcoholic drink I've ever had was a wine cooler on my honeymoon. Never smoked, never done drugs. I was also very surprised to find out that people I considered friends were into drugs. I was very sheltered. ;)

More interesting things...well, I played softball (slow-pitch) very competitively for many years. We even won the national championship when I was 12.
I went to nerd school...a math and science boarding school here for people who want to torture themselves for the last two years of high school.
Due to circumstances while growing up, I haven't had many opportunities to do a lot of things (though I've certainly had more than some), and I long to travel, ski, etc. I always thought sky-diving sounded fun, but I don't know that I would've ever followed through, and now I too fall into the category of "scared to leave baby mommyless".

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-01-2006, 04:01 PM
I can put both legs behind my head.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

aliceinwonderland
06-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I love the Golden Girls, the Sopranos, and KFC biscuits.

I have never done any drugs nor do I have any tattoos, though my husband and I still "tailgate" at rock concerts (!!)

ETA: I am fluent in 3 languages and can read in a fourth. I have never learned how to drive. I want a pink Vespa for a graduation gift.

The Review Mommy
06-01-2006, 04:27 PM
I got married at 21, DH was 23, in the San Diego Temple. I always wanted to get married there even though I was raised in Arizona close by the Mesa Temple. Life can be great aye?! I moved to California on my own when I was 20-I didn’t know anyone, and didn’t have a job-I left suddenly, and my friends couldn’t believe I did it. It was one of the best decisions I made. My family moved up shortly after-they had been trying to move back (parents are originally from orange county) for some 20 yrs. It’s crazy that after all that time my Dad finally got a job offer. They now live 5-10 minutes away and my In-laws are just down the street. We go to the same church as them and DH’s bro and his wife. We live near Lego Land. I love Carlsbad, It’s my fav. My In-Laws are the best! MIL is my fav shopping buddy. I feel like we are the same person sometimes-I tease DH all the time by saying “You married your MOM!� lol :D My NIL Sam looks like DH-I love this little guy! I'll include a pic below. I’m the fav Aunt.

We have a huge TV but only get channel 7 and 8. DH and I have tons of DVD’s and a sweet home theater set up. We are Simpson freaks and watch episodes when DH gets home from work, everyday. DH can be a little like Homer sometimes and I’m *SO* like Marge-boring and exited over small things etc. I love to watch Friends and Seinfeld. I love comedies-I like to watch anything that makes me laugh. DH is a UPS Driver and a World of Warcraft (WOW) addict; I’m sort of a BBB addict-among other things… ;) I read constantly and enjoy being a homemaker. I’m really girly, and shy. DH is really manly, and quiet. He loves to BBQ, and does it every Sat, rain or shine. He loves to pace around our apartment and talk to me about the future, plans, and about making “smart� choices in life. We talk about every purchase we make, budget for groceries etc. We never make impulsive purchases. If there is something we want we have to convince the other spouse why we want it. If you can’t come up with a good reason then forget it. This is a fun thing for us to do because it is done while in the attitude of smiling and laughing-goofy I guess, but it really works and we have a nice savings because of it. It also encourages us to bargain hunt-you can always get it cheaper then retail. Example: I always wanted a MBUS and when I found it for $239 it was much easier for DH to say yes. We are minimalists. We both love Dr. Laura and when her book came out on how to treat husbands I came to him and told him that I wanted to buy it. You know what he told me? That I didn’t need it! :D I still wanted to read it so I asked him to list the things that he didn’t like about me to see if they were covered in the book. He said there was nothing, and that I was the perfect wife! Whatever! :) I could not convince him so I still have not read it!

DH is my fav person in the world! I love being with him, his smile still makes me melt, and when we look into each others eyes it's still the same even after 5 yrs of marriage! He also still opens my car door! We are the same type of person which really helps in a lot of ways, and amazingly have identical thoughts and feelings on important matters such as parenting (this is a big one), religion, politics, and the financial. We are so blessed!

-Rebekah

maestramommy
06-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Okay, this is fun thread!

I met DH when I was 34 and he was 36. We got married 18 months later. Of course people thought we should be having kids right away, but we wanted to wait and have some times together. So glad we did! In that time I learned how to rock climb (on lead too!), went backpacking, built a Habitat house in South Africa (whoa, what they consider decent housing is QUITE different from the States), went on 2 road trips to Utah, ran a 13 mile loop just outside of Vegas, and got to work at the most awesome girls school that I would LOVE to send dd (too pricey).

Classical music is my fav, but I'll listen to anything except rap.
Since dd's been here the one thing we did that got the most "I can't believe you did that!" was take her camping twice in 2 weeks. Once to Joshua Tree and once to Death Valley.

saschalicks
06-01-2006, 07:36 PM
GREAT THREAD!!!

OK, DH & I knew each other for 9 months when we got engaged. We got married in Maui and chucked tradition. We had 40 people at our wedding and had the best weekend of our lives.

I've lived in Los Angeles my whole life I was even born here, but went to University of Arizona. That is the only time I've lived outside of LA County. Even though I went to school in Arizona I have never in my life been to the Grand Canyon.

I hate rollercoasters!

I have a tattoo I got 10 years ago on my ankle. I swear I'll get another but just haven't gotten around to it.

I dye my hair red. Most people think it's natural, but I have boring brown hair. No offense to those of you with brown hair. My hair was all one length (to my butt) until I was 13. My parents wouldn't let me cut my hair.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to read. My favorite book is Pride & Prejudice, which I read for the first time after college. My favorite book up until then was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which I read when I was 12.

I have always watched way too much TV. I love all of the 80's sitcomes like: Family Ties, Facts of Life, Three's Company etc.

OK that's all for now. Thanks for letting me share.

brittone2
06-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Let's see...

For years I said I'd never have kids (this was high school and early college) and didn't want them. I also said I couldn't really stand them (blush). As life often turns out, I ended up deciding to become a pediatric PT and am now (most of the time) happily a SAHM.

I would have been named Melissa but my parents named our dog "Missy" before I was conceived. They didn't think they'd be able to have any kids after a few years of trying (I have four half brothers). So the dog got "my" name ;)

Pre-baby DH and I were serious rock climbers and took a few big trips. My favorite was the New River Gorge. We now kayak when we can...a little less dangerous (we kayak on lakes, not whitewater rivers or anything).

I was kind of wild in middle/high school but always got good grades and managed to stay out of serious trouble. It could have been much different though...it was partially luck I guess. I never smoked a cigarette or anything else, ever. I did my share of drinking from age 13ish on though, but it was mostly out of my system by college ;) which was good.

I was a very competitive runner in high school and a state medalist in cross country. I haven't run in a long time sadly :( Stress fractures, etc. crept up on me and I got tired of my body being beaten up. I think about doing 5Ks again down the road but with a toddler and a little one on the way it will be a while ;)

ETA: I'm trying to learn to knit and it drives me nuts. I finally figured out how to Purl *today* and that was a huge accompishment LOL. DH signed me up for 2 knitting classes for Mother's day and I'm paralyzed with fear...we're making a hat in my little class. I have enough trouble knitting a potholder ;)

DH and I went to high school together (he was older) but didn't really date until after I gradated. We grew up about 3 miles apart.

I've posted it before but my dog is on Prozac. He probably needs a higher dose ;)

Pretty boring ;)

elliput
06-01-2006, 07:51 PM
I love John Wayne movies.

I was casually dating three other guys when I met DH and dumped them all to be with him. ;-)

When I was 15, I won a 1st place aggregate prize (best combination score) for shooting with a muzzleloading rifle in the junior division at a regional competition. At 16, I placed second in the ladies pistol division at the same competition.

I dropped out of college 2/3 of the way through my senior year.

I used to have a 5 octave vocal range, but currently it is 4 octaves. I haven't been able to practice in the house for nearly twelve years, as my dog howls at any singing (live or recorded) done by a soprano. :-( I can barely sing lullabies without the dog trying to join in. :-(

tarynsmum
06-01-2006, 08:23 PM
OK, here goes <deep breath>

I don't know how to ride a bike. Everybody who knows makes fun of me mercilessly, and I hear a reference to my un-bike riding ways at least once a week.

I don't wash my hair everyday. Sometimes (OK, let's be honest, a lot of times), it goes 2 days, and I will wash it on the 3rd. Sometimes the 4th. OK, I have curly hair, and I just pull it back in a pony tail anyway!

I'm currently going to college to finish my degree in Retail Business Management. Before DD was born, I didn't really know how (or if) I was going to use my degree, but now I know that I really want to open a store that is geared towards babywearing, breastfeeding, etc. It's kind of become my goal in life (after being a good Mummy)

DH and I didn't get married until after my daughter was born. We went to the Justice of the Peace and had a wonderful 5 minute ceremony: just me, DH, and DD. 8 days ago (on May 24, 2006).

Corie
06-01-2006, 08:26 PM
*I have the loudest, most obnoxious laugh. (My husband
is mortified when I start laughing in public.)

*I LOVE rollercoasters! I split open my lip on the Texas Giant
one time.
(I had my arms in the air waving them around like a lunatic
and I hit myself in the face.) :)

*I laugh at really inappropriate times. (people falling down,
funerals, people passing gas, etc.)

*My husband proposed to me on top of the Empire State Building
and we got married at Walt Disney World.

*I love to watch boxing. Would love to be ringside at a big-name
boxing match in Las Vegas.

*I eat chocolate every day.

*I love, love, love to dance! My daughter and I put on the
70's and 80's music and boogie down! I seriously would love
to have been a Solid Gold dancer.

AddiesMom
06-01-2006, 08:29 PM
First- I met my DH on Matchmaker.com! We went to the same HS for 1 year, the same college (I even dated a guy in his major), and eventually in our late 20's he lived about 3 miles from me... but it took on-line dating to meet! I got a job with a start-up company in 1998 and worked a ton of hours so it was hard dating. :)

Second- I go to Disney World at least once a year with my parents. I took DD there on her 2 mo birthday since DH was in Europe for work and I wanted to escape the New England winter!

nicoleandjackson
06-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Ooooh! I'll play:

I have been to Walt Disney World 26 times (was engaged and married there!)

I just finished my coursework to be certified to teach elementary school in Illinois, however I cannot get an interview to save my soul!

I just became a SAHM to DS *today* for the first time.

I love to play videogames--adventure/puzzle genre (I looooove Zelda), no shooters or horror, please

I got caught in hurricane York in Hong Kong in 1999. The scariest thing that has ever happened to me. I am convinced that I have PTSD from it.

I am a passionate scrapbooker, and hope to have lots more time to crop this summer.

I *HATE* playing pretend with DS--I am willing to play anything else (arts and crafts, board games, sports, reading, ANYTHING) to avoid having to play "pretend Star Wars" or anything action-figure related. But, ultimately, I have to suck it up...

If I could be anything in the whole wide world, I would either be a back-up singer for James Taylor or a restaurant critic.

I am afraid of butterflies. They don't watch where they're going.

I am a whore for ice cream. Whoever founded Cold Stone Creamery is an evil genius. ;)

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

http://b5.lilypie.com/nD9Jm5.png

lmintzer
06-01-2006, 08:49 PM
These are really interesting! People have done some very cool stuff!

DH and I met singing in a choral group at the Univ. of Michigan. He was a senior and I was a freshman (first year student, as they called it there). We both love music. He is always singing. Our boys seem to be very musical too. We're pretty sure Jack has perfect pitch (as does dh and my brother who is a musician/music educator).

As a child, I loved to perform and was anything but shy--I loved attention (now I know where my kids get it, lol). I loved to play the piano for people, read poems that I had written. I loved it when my mom (and English prof.) would have "Writer's Workshop" at her house. She'd always let me participate, and I always got feedback on my work, just like the adults. Unfortunately, I got progressively more self-conscious (with lower self-esteem) the older I got. I can't imagine performing any more. I wish I had that self-confidence I had as a kid.

DH and I never did the world traveling thing because we were so busy getting over-educated. : ) But we did take two awesome trips: a 2 week trip to Hawaii for our honeymoon and a trip to France pre-kids.

Here's an amusing tidbit: I was filmed for an episode of Good Morning America (for a research study for which I was the project coordinator) 2 days before Jack was born. Yep, you read that right--on t.v. almost 37 weeks pregnant. So needless to say, my nails (and even my toenails) looked nice for my semi-urgent c-section. : )

I think I look/seem much smarter on paper than IRL. People are impressed that I got my Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology when I was 28 and have 2 kids, yadda, yadda, yadda. But then when they meet me, I wonder if they are disappointed. I feel so brain-dead and have such low motivation to do anything career-wise these days. I wonder if I sound like I have even half a brain, let alone a few degrees.

If I had an "alternate imagined career," I could see myself as either a.) a singer/songwriter performing at cafes. I imagine this me as more relaxed, more in tune with myself, and slighly more earthy/crunchy.

One of my favorite books is "The Prince of Tides". One of my favorite movies is "When Harry Met Sally". Recently, I loved "The Constant Gardener" and "Brokeback Mountain".

We have a large t.v. in our house which dh and I almost never watch. The thing has only seen 3 channels lately, and they are all PBS (PBS Kids is what my kiddos are allowed to watch). I'm fairly pop-culture illiterate, although I (secretly) read People Magazine when I don't see anyone looking. : )

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-01-2006, 08:55 PM
Nicole- I was In Hong Kong during that hurricane too, what a coincidence!
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

Corie
06-01-2006, 08:55 PM
Hey Nicole,

I am so laughing at your butterfly comment! I never thought
of it that way! :)

Corie
06-01-2006, 08:58 PM
You are more than welcome to come over to my house
for a Golden Girls marathon. (My sister would probably
join us too!)

Seriously, I could probably answer any question about
the Golden Girls. How sad am I ??

elliput
06-01-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm laughing about the ice cream comment, which easily could have been included in my own post.

LD92599
06-01-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm President of our local antique auto club :-) I preside over 71 familes!

I lost 80 lbs starting when i was 16. As of today i've kept off 65. I just started back at WW to get back to goal and have 4 pounds to go before getting back to lifetime!

Laura
mom to William

LKibala @ optonline.net
[img]http://b4.lilypie.com/vEOmm4.png

Use a Mac? Interested in learning more about them? Join us!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-MacUsers/

cbm
06-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Congratulations, Heather!

Claudia
DS 12/18/04

nicoleandjackson
06-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Totally! I flew in from Chicago to Hong Kong Int'l the night before it started when it was Level 3--crossing the suspension bridges when the outside lanes were closed due to high winds. I stayed at the Royal Garden in Tsim Sha Tsui, and have vivid memories of looking out my window on the twelfth floor (DUH!) watching entire palm trees and sheet metal roofs blow down the street.

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson
06-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Oh, Corie! You would love it at my house! My husband is a videogame producer and he produced all three versions of EA Sports Fight Night boxing series. It is all boxing, all the time here...after DS goes to bed, of course!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

nicoleandjackson
06-01-2006, 09:32 PM
No, it's true! And I get a lot of flak for it. I read somewhere that Nicole Kidman has the same fear.

Today DS and I went to the zoo, and they have a special enclosed butterfly exhibit. He begged me to take him in there, and I just couldn't. The minute one touched me I'm sure I would pass out!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

Corie
06-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Maybe the four of us should have a date night and fly
to Vegas for a fight?? :)

I've always told my husband that I would love to be
a Cut-man. (If you saw me, you would be laughing hysterically
right now! Picture me on the sidelines wearing my khaki pants
and Cole Haan shoes!!)

I should go freeze some water in those little
dixie cups for practice.

nicoleandjackson
06-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Rock on, sister! :)

DH just ROTFLHAO now when I read this thread to him!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

pb&j
06-01-2006, 09:47 PM
One of my favorite movies is the remake of The Parent Trap with Lindsay Lohan. <blush>

I hate magicians, I think they're creepy and full of s***.

When I was little, I wanted to be a dolphin trainer.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

omgrown
06-01-2006, 10:26 PM
I have 5 tattoos, so far. Including a 3/4 sleeve of a peacock
I own a tattoo shop, but am not a tattoo artist
I also own a shoe store
I'm afraid of bats
Everyone assumes DS is a girl cause his hair is blond, curly and kind of long
I actually really like being a WOHM, but am so happy to be self-employed so that DS can come to work with me if he has to
I'm dying to take a pottery class
I make jewelry in my spare time
I think my kid might be one of the funniest people I know, and he can barely speak yet!

Saccade
06-01-2006, 10:46 PM
>I hate magicians, I think they're creepy and full of s***.
>
>

LOL, Ry!!

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/squsqutdg20050713_-8_DS+is.png

[FONT COLOR="#006600"]Come get wild and wooly with us!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters/index.php?act=idx[FONT]

Saccade
06-01-2006, 10:47 PM
I learned to drive on a double-clutch tractor when I was 12.

BaileyBea
06-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Well here it goes. Most people I know don't even know this about me:

* I love music! All kinds and I have a huge CD collection with every type of music. Even classical, Opera, world music, 80's, jazz, blues, and even Doris Day. I love old movies and Katherine Hepburn is my favorite actor.

* My favorite band is The Talking Heads. I have a photo of me and David Byrne on my desk of us just after doing Tequilla shots. I have a goofy.. "I'm your #1 fan" look on my face.

* I worked for the Parking Department in college. There was a girl in college who was terribly mean to me. I had her car towed 12 times. She never knew it was me. She should have paid her parking tickets! ;-) That was probably the meanest thing I ever did but trust me she was not a nice person.

* I cared for my Handicapped Grandfather all through Jr.High and High School till he died. This meant cooking meals, dressing him etc...

* I have never done an illegal drug in my life.

* I wanted to be a History Professor when I started college. My career is in marketing. But now I really want to work w/children with disabilities and their families.

* I can't believe I did that... I saw someone driving ahead of me that looked like they were having a seizure. At the stop light I got out of my car and walked to their car and realized the guy was super drunk and not having a seizure. I told him to pull over in the parking lot or I would call the cops. He did! He gave me the keys to his car and I drove him home. He was my age and engaged to a nice girl. I walked him to the door and gave the keys to his fiance and told her I was his angel. He has one last chance to make a good life w/her and not go to jail. She cried and thanked me.

That was nuts! I can't believe i did that.

I also drove home one night and saw a car drive off the rode and hit a telephone pole. I turned around a pulled a guy out of a car just before the car started on fire. Just like the movies... I had to break the window and pull him out of the window. He never thanked me or got my name. Oh well!

I don't brag really so no one really knows I did these things.

* My dream place to travel is Paris, France.

* I met my DH when I showed up to paint a friends house after I was recovering from Cancer surgery. He is the best thing that ever happened to me.

shilo
06-01-2006, 11:01 PM
too funny, i wanted to be a dolphin trainer too. even did a 'walk a day in your shoes' with a dolphin trainer at a local amusment park when i was 15 or so. and my husband used to write games for ea when we met... small world.

ok, here goes the rest of it:

i am an avid scuba diver and amateur underwater photographer. i've been certified since the age of 16 and have over a thousand dives in 3 of the 4 oceans (no arctic - i hate cold water).

i have three classes to finish a clinical doctorate and haven't done a darn thing about it in 5 years - don't know if i ever will...

i'm something of a speed junkie - fast cars, downhill skiing, fast decents on my road bicycle and even have an "m" on my license (motor cycyles) - but haven't ridden since grad school - too dangerous.

i'm just as likely to be found sitting around quilting or crocheting as surfing the net.

my DH and i met when i was 19 on the internet long before matchmaking sites even existed (1995). everyone and their brother told us it wouldn't last. well it did, thru 3 yrs of long distance while i finished undergrad, 2 1/2 years of grad school while we "played house" according to my dad (who now thinks he's the greatest thing since peach pie, btw, but not then :) and now 5+ years of marriage.

oh, and i went into labor with my DS 10 years to the day of the first time we met in person - how weird is that?

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

maestramommy
06-01-2006, 11:05 PM
ROTFL! My dog did this too! We couldn't sing or play any musical instrument in the house without his joining in. When I had to practice he was locked outside. One Christmas morning a violin soloist was playing on TV. He got puzzled and stood really close to the TV, then starting howling very softly!

jbowman
06-01-2006, 11:15 PM
I have an identical twin sister. I can read five languages. I quilt. I don't chew gum. DH and I have both passed the Foreign Service Exam. I don't eat pork or beef. DH and I dated 8 1/2 years before we got married. I've run two 1/2 marathons. And I *love* Lifetime movies.

bostonsmama
06-01-2006, 11:26 PM
I posted a while back, but it got erased. Maybe that stuff wasn't meant to be "known" so here's something different:

I can't drive a stick shift car to save my life.

If praline pecans were cheap, I'd weigh 400lbs.

I get car sick pretty much anytime I'm in a car, sometimes even when I'm driving.

When DH was away on business last week, I slept with a loaded shotgun by the bed (a first!)

I do the things I'm most afraid of to challenge myself....like river rafting in Austria even though deep water terrifies me, or repelling from cliffs in South Korea when I'm afraid of heights, and learning to Scuba dive in Panama even though fish freak me out.

And, finally...I always have to have my blood taken lying down and people have to talk with me about football or baseball and I can't look, or I'll faint. I also fainted after my saline sonogram b/c the catheter was bloody when they removed it. Biggest wuss I know.

Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

Queensgirl
06-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Ummm, Tara, what I'd really like to know is ...how long is Gene's infamous appendage (his tongue, I mean :P !)

Queensgirl
06-01-2006, 11:54 PM
What a great thread...

* Backpacked a summer through Ireland (not Irish, though)
* Traveled cross-country on an old, renovated 1950s schoolbus (& didn't bathe for a looong stretch)
* Toured the Patagonia
* Love the opera (especially Lincoln Center)
* Punk Rock, New Wave, 60's/70s hard rock, old school Hip Hop- Love them all!
* At 35, don't know how to drive (and my permit expired :( )
* Am fluent in Spanish
* Pop Culture junkie (DH too)- it's really, really sad!
* Love old movies (30s & 40s)-go to the theater to actually see old noirs (DH started got me hooked)
* Love to swim in the freezing Atlantic
* I'm a NY'er, love NY, but would drop everything & move to California in a second
* And, for some reason, the fact that my DH is black seems to be the most shocking thing when people meet me (that and when they find out I'm Spanish)-guess I come off like a real "white girl" (whatever that means)
and it's something they don't expect (or so I've been told)

Really enjoyed reading everyone's responses-what a diverse (and fun) bunch :)

Queensgirl
06-01-2006, 11:58 PM
I love the concept of Habitat. Building a habitat house in S. Africa is so cool- I'd love to do that!

Queensgirl
06-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Congratulations :-) :-)

TaChapm
06-02-2006, 12:07 AM
Oh Larissa...I feel your pain about having blood drawn. To me one of the worst things about IVF was all the blood work. I have terrible veins and would always pass out unless I was laying down. DH usually read the jokes out of readers digest to me to take my mind off of things. I would always tell the lab techs that I needed to lay down and they always had a huge problem with it. After passing out a few times on them they knew that I would just lay down on the cold floor for blood work and all would be well. There were times it took 30-60 minutes to draw my blood.

Luckily IVF and pregnancy have helped my situation and I don't always pass out now. Perhaps it will work the same way for you! :)

Tara
Tyler William 6-9-05

denna
06-02-2006, 06:58 AM
I have vowed to NEVER share some of this w/ new people (people who weren't around at the time)...

My whole life I have never recieved below a B on any test/ report card.

My father died when I was 15 and it made a VERY HARD financial situation for my family. So on my 16th birthday I got my first FULL TIME job and a month later I got my 2nd FULL TIME job. Yep thats right I worked at one from 9am until 3pm 6 days a week and the other from 5pm until 1am also 6 days a week. (I was doing 'home school at this time).

I graduated at 16. Started college and began working nights part time.

Then I was married at 17. And divorced by 19. I married someone I was w/ for 4 years. He was 2 years older then me. We got married to join the military together (I needed more money and to help pay my way through school). I HATED the military and he was VERY unfaithful and abusive. (I look back now and think I just needed another man in my life (since I had just lost my father))

I now have a great and very powerful job making good money.

I LOVE rock music. Especially TOOL.

I was never a bad girl and have not even had detention!!!

I have NEVER smoked a cigarrette.

I too LOVE COASTERS.

I was with my DH for a 9 months before we got engaged him and I were BEST FRIENDS FIRST.

My DH and I lost our BEST FRIEND (besides each other) in 2004. He committed suicide (at the time he was my DH's roommate).

When I was in the military I launched test missiles off the central coast of California. That is where my DH and I met. We worked together :).

I would NEVER want my child to join the military and I HOPE my DH is out of the military before we have more children.

I have loved children my ENTIRE life and when I was in high school I wanted to be a Pediatrician, I was even accepted to UC Davis before I joined the military. However I am now very interested in genetic analysis and am taking biology classes along w/ physical anthropology classes, etc...

I LOVE my DH so much. He is my best friend. Him and I have never fought and he has loved me and respected me more than anyone else. He is always there for me, and I must say he very much spoils me.

I feel so thankful to have my DS, I often felt I would never be able to have children and I have had several medical problems since I was 18. He is the GREATEST GIFT I have ever received.

Great post! Its fun to learn about each other!!!

aliceinwonderland
06-02-2006, 07:18 AM
What's **really** sad is that I did not even live in the US when the Golden Girls was running: I got hooked on the re-runs. Universal appeal, I guess...

Honestly, I think that is quite the progressive show ;)

lmintzer
06-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Denna,
What you did to help your family was so admirable and must have been so, so hard. You are an impressive woman to hold onto your dream to get educated/get a good job even through all of those tough times. Most people would have just given up and would not have made it to where you are now. Wishing you lots of happiness in your current life--you certainly deserve it.

elephantmeg
06-02-2006, 08:00 AM
I dread the question, "where are you from" (and DH dreads the "where is your wife from" (Missionary kid-11 years in Africa, 5 in Jamaica and then came to the US for college when I was 17, met DH who had lived in the same house all his life and married him). Opposites do attract!

I HATE roller costers.

I too eat chocolate daily-except that I didn't love it pregnant-very strange

I am a major bookworm and read very fast

I have never smoked or done drugs but I would drink more than I do if my DH didn't think that drinking is gross.

denna
06-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Thank you so much Lisa that is so sweet of you!!! ((HUGS))

buddyleebaby
06-02-2006, 08:14 AM
And, finally...I always have to have my blood taken lying down and people have to talk with me about football or baseball and I can't look, or I'll faint. I also fainted after my saline sonogram b/c the catheter was bloody when they removed it. Biggest wuss I know.

Oh, Larissa, me too!
I also faint everytime I get hot, which I've mentioned before. I've fainted on the subway, in the zoo, at a book signing, the vet's office, church, the record store, universal, etc. I do get to skip a lot of lines at theme parks or whatever, once my lips start turning blue.

hez
06-02-2006, 09:17 AM
You got it :) I never believed anything wooden could be better than Gemini (my fav in middle school-- rode it 8 times in a row on an end-of-the-school-year trip) or even Mean Streak, but now I'm pretty d@mn sure there's not a wooden coaster better than the Beast :)

Hope you're having a WONDERFUL day! I'm very, very jealous!!!

Puddy73
06-02-2006, 09:22 AM
>I learned to drive on a double-clutch tractor when I was 12.
>
Were you a farm kid, too? I grew up on a dairy farm and people don't believe me when I tell them I was driving a giant tractor at 8 or 9 years old. I had to stand on the clutch to press it down all the way!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

Puddy73
06-02-2006, 09:29 AM
What a fun thread!

*I love Jimmy Buffett. If I could I would follow him around with my little parrot-head DC in tow. DD can sing along with waaay too many of his songs. I often make a mad dash to the CD player to skip over the more "adult" lyrics.

*I've been a commercial finance attorney for 8 years, but I would love to switch to family law and just handle adoptions.

*I sometimes fix DD and healthy snack, then hide in the pantry to eat chocolate.

*I still have 4 baby teeth (I wasn't born with a full set of permanent teeth, so they never fell out).

*I cried when I had to sell my Volvo 240. I swear that car had a personality.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

tarahsolazy
06-02-2006, 10:54 AM
As we've noted before, some similarities here:

Identical twin as well.

Knitting fanatic

Ran three full marathons in 18 months before DS. Ran a 1/2 when I was 7 weeks pregnant. I have a bum knee that's slowing my re-entry to running.

Also tattooed.

But I only read one language, two if you count "medical".

tarahsolazy
06-02-2006, 10:54 AM
As we've noted before, some similarities here:

Identical twin as well.

Knitting fanatic

Ran three full marathons in 18 months before DS. Ran a 1/2 when I was 7 weeks pregnant. I have a bum knee that's slowing my re-entry to running.

Also tattooed.

But I only read one language, two if you count "medical".

AmyZ
06-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Ok, I'll play!

* I wear almost the same outfit everyday (don't worry, always clean clothes - I've got lots of duplicates). Black lounge style pants, solid short or long-sleeve shirt, and black Primo breeze Merrells. When it is cold, I add a black fleece vest. When it is really hot, I'll put on shorts - but I hate that!

* I can't do math in my head so I always have a "tip calculator card" in my wallet.

* I refuse to touch a gas pump with my bare hands, so I keep a special "gas glove" in my car that I put on for that occasion only!

* When my DD was 6 months old, I tripped while carrying her, and she laughed so hard. My mom and I also have the same sense of humor.

* I have also seen every episode of the Golden Girls a zillion times!

* I met my husband at "Drip" which is a coffeehouse in NYC that sets up people on blind dates. We met because we both happened to be there on the same night. He was wearing a matchy type of outfit that I called "Garanimals". I left the coffeehouse without getting his number, but a friend convinced me to go back in and get it! The rest was history!

* I've played the violin since I was 4 years old, and these days I play in a local community orchestra.

* I hate balloons because I always think they are going to pop and make a really loud noise.

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

AmyZ
06-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Ok, I'll play!

* I wear almost the same outfit everyday (don't worry, always clean clothes - I've got lots of duplicates). Black lounge style pants, solid short or long-sleeve shirt, and black Primo breeze Merrells. When it is cold, I add a black fleece vest. When it is really hot, I'll put on shorts - but I hate that!

* I can't do math in my head so I always have a "tip calculator card" in my wallet.

* I refuse to touch a gas pump with my bare hands, so I keep a special "gas glove" in my car that I put on for that occasion only!

* When my DD was 6 months old, I tripped while carrying her, and she laughed so hard. My mom and I also have the same sense of humor.

* I have also seen every episode of the Golden Girls a zillion times!

* I met my husband at "Drip" which is a coffeehouse in NYC that sets up people on blind dates. We met because we both happened to be there on the same night. He was wearing a matchy type of outfit that I called "Garanimals". I left the coffeehouse without getting his number, but a friend convinced me to go back in and get it! The rest was history!

* I've played the violin since I was 4 years old, and these days I play in a local community orchestra.

* I hate balloons because I always think they are going to pop and make a really loud noise.

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!

trumansmom
06-02-2006, 12:14 PM
I used to work in a record store (back when they sold records - not cds!) and had a crew cut with orange striped bleached in. :)

I once kissed Lou Reed. (Me- enthusiastically. Him - not so much.)

My very favorite job ever was working as a barista at Starbucks. I've thought about doing it again, but doubt it would be as much fun as a middle aged mom. :P But I know I would appreciate the free coffee more!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

VClute
06-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Sherri! I went to "nerd school," too! NCSSM (NC school of science and mathematics) c/o 91.

I was a cheerleader there. (You can imagine the chants we did...)

I once won a scholarship to travel. Yes, just travel. I went to Australia for two months and traveled all over. Wish I had stayed much longer.

As for music, I love rap! Yes, RAP! But not hard core rap, more like Kanye West, N.E.R.D, anything dancable.

While in Australia, I attempted a month-long Outward Bound course. I left after two weeks. I decided I'm just not THAT outdoorsy and achievement-oriented after all.

I'm a thrift shop and yardsale and consignment sale FREAK. Even the bargains on bargain alert are too expensive for me now! :)

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

janeybwild
06-02-2006, 12:37 PM
I love Barry Manilow, well his songs anyway. There I said it :)

kijip
06-02-2006, 12:37 PM
>I once kissed Lou Reed.

Get out! I love Velvet Underground and his more recent rock as well.

kijip
06-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Oh I will add in a few of the funnier ones I thought of:

-I seriously believe that I have a better day when my underwear matches my bra.

-I know every single word to "Baby Got Back".

-I just SHOCKED myself and put my TV in the living room, in a cabinet designed for TVs and I won't be moving it around the apartment and into the closet anymore- I need to closets for other stuff. Never say never LOL.

-I have friends from age 15 to 92. Not related to me, just people that I have connected with in my day to day life, all IRL.

-I eat 1/2 of a bacon cheeseburger from the same place 3-4 times per month.

-I actually wear my hair in pigtails when I am feeling lazy. I was once entirely bald.

jbowman
06-02-2006, 01:02 PM
>I once kissed Lou Reed. (Me- enthusiastically. Him - not so
>much.)

This just confirms it: I want to be Jeanne when I grow up. :)

pampamz
06-02-2006, 01:48 PM
RE: >>>Some of the coolest things I've done are...
Swam (more like floated) in the Dead Sea
Visited Jerusalem and Bethlehem
Climbed a glacier in Norway
flew onboard a C2 to the USS Kennedy and caught the wire (hence I am a honorary tailhooker LOL)
stood on the launch pad next to the space shuttle
-----------------------------------------------------------------

WOW! I haven't gotten through all the posts yet but holy moly that is impressive. My life is so boring (but I love it anyways)!

I can move one eye at a time.

Corie
06-02-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm laughing at you wearing the same outfit every day
because I do the same thing! :)

My husband is like, "Oh, I see we have the uniform on again."

miki
06-02-2006, 02:13 PM
In high school, I got my varsity letter for target shooting rifles.

Corie
06-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Larissa,

Give me a call next time you have a bloody situation!

You could basically give me your arm that had just been
ripped off and I would put it in a Target bag, toss it
some ice cubes, get you in the car with a big beach towel
wrapped around your arm and off we go to the hospital.

Just don't throw up on me or all bets are off! :)

bunnisa
06-02-2006, 03:10 PM
>One of my favorite movies is the remake of The Parent Trap
>with Lindsay Lohan. <blush>
>

Ry, my SIL is in that movie! :)

Bethany
blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

sidmand
06-02-2006, 04:12 PM
DH and I met through the personals--much to the chagrin of my parents who thought only perverts and I don't know who else answered and/or wrote personals! I placed the ad and he responded back when we were in college (I went to a women's college and hadn't dated much anyway and wanted to "play the field." But then met him and the rest is kind of history. That was (aacckk) in 1991.

Our 1st date I took DH to see "Thelma and Louise" (I did mention the women's college, right?).

I only went on a 2nd date with DH because he invited me to Riverside Park (now Six Flags New England) because I'd always wanted to go.

DH's 1st plane ride ever was when I won a trip to the Mall of America. I really wanted to get married in the wedding chapel there. We didn't.

When I was little we used to go to Disney World every two years. We went on our honeymoon.

I won a trip to see "Friends" years ago--my Dad remarried a couple of years ago, and his new wife's son wrote for "Friends." When he heard we'd been there on that trip, he said, "Oh, you were one of those."(?) Along those lines I am a huge "Friends" geek! That, "Xena," and "Quantum Leap" are probably my favorites.

I also have chocolate just about (okay, definitely) every single day. Usually Lindt truffles! I used to have ice cream every day, but I'm trying to be much better about that.

I used to play field hockey and basketball. Now it's just racquetball. I'm in a men's league at my health club.

When I was 19 I went to Turkey, Greece, and England. The first two were to follow in the steps of St. Paul (with a school trip), but England was because I had an internship on an archaeological dig in Northamptonshire, England. I was horrible at digging though and ended up in the Finds Office. But it was pretty cool--we were working on a Roman villa circa 70 A.D.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

KrisM
06-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Great thread!

I dropped out of grad school a research thesis short of a master in metallurgical engineering. I did go back to post-grad for another engineering degree and eventually got a master's in that though.

I went to Alaska for 5 weeks by myself because it was my dream trip and I had the chance.

I only missed 8 days of school from Kindergarten through high school. A week for chicken pox in Kindergarten. A day in 6th grade with a stomach bug. A day in 8th grade when my best friend, who had moved away, came to visit for an orthodontist appointment and my mom let me skip. And Senior skip day in high school.

jbowman
06-02-2006, 07:12 PM
>But I only read one language, two if you count "medical".

LOL, Tarah! The medical language is definitely one that I have not mastered. I am quite good at paleography, though, so I could at least transcribe your writing. ;)

pb&j
06-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Cool! Who's your SIL?

-Ry,
and Max, 01/05/06

beckyr88
06-02-2006, 07:42 PM
I pierced my own nose in a hotel room in Athens, Greece. My friend and I couldn't find ice *anywhere*, so we chilled the area with a cold can of Heiniken.

I went to high school with the drummer from the Smoking Popes.

Fun!

alleyoop
06-02-2006, 08:31 PM
I have won 6 Emmy's, 8 Telly's and was nominated for an International Monitor Award. All of the statues are in a box in our attic.

beckyr88
06-02-2006, 08:39 PM
What?! Really? Can I ask what for?

Judegirl
06-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Okay, wth, I'll play. I'm procrastinating anyway. :)

I've never smoked pot or done any other illegal drug.

I'm a staunch Libertarian - a fairly hardcore fiscal conservative and a social liberal. I voted for Bush (only the first time) in order to keep Gore out of office.

My husband and I are polyamorous (what used to be called "an open marriage.") It doesn't much matter - we're both far too busy and tired to get any action anywhere! ;)

I'm also bi (and a couple of other things that the Fields probably don't want me sharing here.. :))

My mother was a black jack dealer and occasionally worked for the mob. (Yep. Seriously.)

I practice aromatherapy, homeopathy and I have over 40 plants in my nearly-chemical-free apartment. I want to have 4 big dogs and 2 horses someday.

I am freakishly strong. And extremely - physically - lazy. (It's actually a convenient combination.)

ETA: I haven't used shampoo on my hair in a year and a half. (And in that time, it's grown more than it had the previous DECADE!)

That's it for now, lol. Cute thread! :)

Jude

cmdunn1972
06-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Off the top of my head...

* I have "elf" ears. Seriously. Also, my husband has a "Spock" ear. We have that in common. :)

* I've been to "exotic" locations like Japan (twice), South Korea, and Brazil, but I've never been to Europe. However, we're planning to break that trend with a visit to Germany this summer. :)

aliceinwonderland
06-02-2006, 09:38 PM
...(and a couple of other things that the Fields probably don't want me sharing here.. )

You're also a tease :) And you should be procrastinating more often ;) ;)

KBecks
06-02-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't know what my "image" here is like, so I'll just throw out a few things. I guess I come across as a fairly traditional Midwest conservative who is still figuring out a lot of this parenting stuff, and who has a lot of "average" fears and frustrations :)

-- I have a hard time disengaging from certain hot topics ;) (no, really?)

-- I'm also slightly addicted to reading gymborebel, although I don't buy much gymbo for DS. It's kind of fascinating to watch the passions over children's clothing. I have fantasized about launching my own clothing line and chain of stores for boy's clothing, but realized I have neither the skills or funding to even make a good try.

-- I have fair skin and am a strawberry-blonde, but recenly learned that some of my great-great grandparents were "blacks" (probably fairly mixed blacks) living in Mississippi.

Judegirl
06-02-2006, 09:54 PM
LOL - Hi Eri!!! Miss ya!!! :)

barbarhow
06-02-2006, 10:19 PM
>
>* I met my husband at "Drip" which is a coffeehouse in NYC
>that sets up people on blind dates. We met because we both
>happened to be there on the same night. He was wearing a
>matchy type of outfit that I called "Garanimals". I left the
>coffeehouse without getting his number, but a friend convinced
>me to go back in and get it! The rest was history!

LOL-Most people would not know that my good friend and I were filmed by Lifetime TFW at Drip. They did a segment on dating in NYC, blah, blah, blah. They were supposed to call and tell us when it aired. I never say it but when I went to my 20th HS reunion-one of my male classmates had...

Saccade
06-02-2006, 10:46 PM
>>I learned to drive on a double-clutch tractor when I was
>12.
>>
>Were you a farm kid, too? I grew up on a dairy farm and
>people don't believe me when I tell them I was driving a giant
>tractor at 8 or 9 years old. I had to stand on the clutch to
>press it down all the way!
>

LOL! Great picture!

No, I was a beach kid. I was just visiting upstate NY for the summer. My friends and I all got a great job moving hay bales off of the field (after the baler squirted them out in rows) into a barn across another field for $50 each -- a huge wage for a 12 year old. Since I was the youngest and the smallest, I got to drive the tractor with a pallet hooked behind it, and everyone else loaded the bales on. I had to work the clutch smoothly or it would jerk and the bales would fall off! Boy, did I get a sunburn.

>Jennifer
>Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05
>
>"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy
>Buffett

Saccade
06-02-2006, 10:49 PM
I hope you never washed your lips again ;)

tina-t
06-02-2006, 11:21 PM
I did not learn to drive until I was about 26 yrs old.

My parents were travel buffs so I have been to Singapore, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong. I would like to visit Europe someday.

I can speak/read and write 2 languages.

I have never smoked cigarettes or tried illegal drugs, and I cannot stand the taste of alcohol.

I am afraid of rollercoasters.

I love to read and watch movies, both of which I have not been able to do much since ds was born.

trumansmom
06-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Do it in a bikini and you'd be my DH's greatest fantasy!!!

Jeanne

trumansmom
06-02-2006, 11:49 PM
>-I seriously believe that I have a better day when my
>underwear matches my bra.

Me,too. And this is why I want a breast reduction. Matching undies!
>
>-I know every single word to "Baby Got Back".

LOL! I've sung it every single day since DD was born. What can I say? Baby's definitely got back!!

And I have every intention of shaving my head for my 50th birthday. I DARE anyone to stop me!!

Jeanne

Saccade
06-03-2006, 12:38 AM
>Do it in a bikini and you'd be my DH's greatest fantasy!!!
>
>Jeanne
>Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Not nowadays, not with THESE lactating boobs! Jiggle-jiggle-jiggle-jiggle.... :p

mamalou
06-03-2006, 01:29 AM
I kissed Howard Stern... before he was divorced. Stopped listening to him the day he got divorced and honestly can't even believe I used to listen to him at all. I aged tremendously becoming a mommy. Can't stand any violence anymore... especially in movies.

ca mom to 2
06-03-2006, 01:47 AM
It's OK. Both my kids request "Bandstand" in the car and sing along. My husband was horrified, and went out and bought more Laurie Berkner.

Cathy

Carly 5 years
Nick 22 months

essnce629
06-03-2006, 02:20 AM
When I got pregnant with Conner, my boyfriend and I had only been dating for about 3 weeks....oops! We were both full-time college students, he was 20 and I was 21. The odds were stacked completely against us, no one thought it would work out (including my boyfriend), I was pressured by many to have an abortion, but here we are 3 1/2 years later going strong and quite happy. I've never regretted anything and deep down inside I always had a feeling things would work out. Our plans right now are to wait until after he finishes law school to get married and then we'll work on having baby #2.

My boyfriend and I have never lived together. He lives in Los Angeles and I'm here in San Diego. He comes down every weekend. He remained in LA to finish school, while I moved home to San Diego to live with my mom after Conner was 5 months old. When we move to Virginia in December, it will be our first time living together and actually being like a real family.

I was a cheerleader all four years of high school. I really want a daughter one day who wants to be a cheerleader as well so I can be a "cheer mom" and continue to live my cheerleader fantasy!

I'm half black and half Mexican.

I got a detention in high school once for my skirt being too short :).

I'm a huge Mariah Carey fan! And much to my boyfriend's dismay, so is Conner! When one of her songs plays on the radio in the car he shouts out "Mariah Carey!" I wake up to track 1 of her most recent CD every morning!

I'd love to take an adult gymnastics and an adult ballet class. Both have been a dream of mine since childhood.

I've never tried any drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes. All my friends in high school and college drank and tried every drug immaginable, but I just never had any urge to (and I was too much of a health nut). My friends never pressured me and were happy to always have a designated driver! And we partied a LOT!

Working as doula and having two best friends that are pregnant right now really makes me want to have another baby :(. And if I was married, etc I'd totally be pregnant since I always wanted my kids 3 years apart. Oh well.

I'd love to write two books some day. One on how to prepare for having a homebirth (there really wasn't anything out there when I was looking for a similar book back when I was pregnant). And one on how to have a successful natural birth in a hospital.

I'm a night owl and have always been. The past couple of nights I've had to force myself to go to bed at 3am. My New Year's resolution was to get in bed every night by 1:30. I tried really hard and did well for about a month, but after that it was back to my old ways and staying up past 2 every night. I'm sure that will all change when my boyfriend and I move in together-- when he's around I always go to bed when he does (which is usually around 1am). When I was in college (pre-baby), on the weekends I'd stay up until sunrise (even if I didn't even go out) and then I'd feel bad, force myself to go to bed, and sleep until 1pm!

I'm a hermit crab. I could sit inside my house all day reading stuff on the internet and be completely happy and content.

I love peanut butter ice cream! But I also love Cold Stone and came up with my own favorite concoction-- amaretto ice cream, almonds, chocolate chips, and chocolate syrup mixed in....YUM!!!!

I'd love to open my own birthing center one day. The women would be able to choose to either have their baby at the birthing center or at home.

I'm obsessed with celebrity pregnancies/babies and visit http://www.celebrity-babies.com/ at least once a day!

I lust after a Honda Odyssey!

I met Ron Jeremy (the super gross porn guy) at a street fair a few years back (he was doing signings at an adult store during the fair). My friend and I went in to meet him and he signed his name on her boob!!! He's so gross!

I had viral meningitis my junior year of college. I spent six weeks in bed flat on my back because every time I sat up I'd get a horrific headache (I thought my head was going to explode) due to a botched spinal tap (one of three). I had to drop out of school for that semester. It took me a year to feel completely "normal" again.

***Latia
Birth and Postpartum Doula

Conner 8/19/03 (homebirthed water baby)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months!

essnce629
06-03-2006, 03:09 AM
Congratulations Heather on getting married!

***Latia

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Self-weaned at 24 months!

essnce629
06-03-2006, 03:42 AM
>* I refuse to touch a gas pump with my bare hands, so I keep
>a special "gas glove" in my car that I put on for that
>occasion only!

OMG! That is hilarious! I'm seriousely crying right now!

***Latia

essnce629
06-03-2006, 04:28 AM
>ETA: I haven't used shampoo on my hair in a year and a half.
>(And in that time, it's grown more than it had the previous
>DECADE!)

What do you use instead? I bought some "hair mud" (Pure Earth Hair Wash) from Terressentials.com but I don't think it really works for my hair type.

***Latia

essnce629
06-03-2006, 04:28 AM
Double post

momathome
06-03-2006, 07:38 AM
I am a life-long Philadelphia Phillies fan and when I was 16, I gave up a trip to Europe to go to spring training in Clearwater, FL instead.

Despite the fact I am 29, I have been to many a Steely Dan and Chicago concert plus I have seen Crosby,Stills, and Nash in Concert.

I paid more to take my girls to see the Wiggles in concert than I did to see Sting.

I am a huge Katharine Hepburn fan and once wrote her a fan letter and was thrilled to receive a letter back from her publiscist.

I was once on a local teen talk show to promote volunteerism among high school students.

I lived on a quiet cul-de-sac growing up and a 19 year-old neighbor of mine broke into my 15 year-old friend's house and stabbed her and her father - both survived but it was a big news story.

That's it - I'm pretty darn boring. :)

alleyoop
06-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Sure! :) It is kind of silly talking about it, because that was my "former life", but they were all for computer animation and special effects in commercials (the Telly's), movies and other TV shows (the Emmy's). It might be vain, but I miss putting on a ball gown once a year, having people (possibly) clap for you, give an acceptance speech et al. We should do that for Moms don't you think??

denna
06-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Id like to add that I once had blue hair.

And once black w/ big bleach blond streaks.

I know all the dialogue to D2 Mighty ducks because it was once my fave movie

I once had my pants signed by all the members of LONE STAR and I hugged the lead singer

My entire family is involved w/ law somehow and I once went to school to be a lawyer but am now doing genetic biology

I am Native American (Cherokee/Ponitawk)

EVERYTHING me or my DS wear has to match (I try to get DH to match also but you all know how that can go)

Im ashamed to admit that I was slightly disappointed when I found out I was having a boy. BUT I am so happy w/ my DS in fact I told my DH that next DC I dont want to know b/c I will be so HAPPY regardless if its a boy/girl!!! :D

No-one has EVER been able to draw my blood the 1st time. I am a human pin cushion. The least amount of tries has been 3 and the most 10!!!

I am EXTREMELY afraid of deep water. If I cant see the bottom Im nervous!

I HATE BUGS!!!

denna
06-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Congrats!!! Sweet and simple is the best way :D!!! Besides the most important people in the world to you were there. And thats what matters!!!

hez
06-03-2006, 05:03 PM
I didn't miss much school, either, Kris. About a week for chicken pox (6th grade!) and a couple days senior year when I convinced my mom to take me shopping 'cause I was getting burnt out :)

I did skip Band once with my best friend from the neighborhood. It was last period, end of the school year, and the director was going to let us sit out back by the practice fields for a study hall. We went out the front door instead and never got caught. There, I guess I did rebel a little once ;)

Judegirl
06-03-2006, 07:07 PM
I just use baking soda, followed by a rinse with water and apple cider vinegar.

kristenk
06-03-2006, 10:18 PM
>>* I worked for the Parking Department in college. There was a
>girl in college who was terribly mean to me. I had her car
>towed 12 times. She never knew it was me.

I actually spit on my monitor after reading that! Too funny! :)

jillc
06-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Hi Susan,

Me, too! It's a rare talent that we share. :) At least I think I can still do it... haven't tried since yoga a few years ago... Ok, I just tried (while laughing by myself in our home office)... still got it! :)

Best,
Jill

jillc
06-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi Katie,

I totally agree about the matching bra & underwear! They rarely match, but I always feel more "together" or "cute" when they do!

Such a weird thing, huh?

Jill

jillc
06-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Ok, these have been so fun to read! Mine are not so interesting, but I'm trying to come up with a few things...

* I can not parallel park. Just can't do it. I actually did it one time quite well after drinking a couple beers. Not the best idea, I realize.

* I am extremely flexible & I can bring my arms from the front side of my body to the back side of my body (and vice versa) while holding my hands together. Basically, I can slowly "jump rope" with my arms.

* DH and I got married on the 2 year anniversary of our "first time". Purely by coincidence. I stumbled upon my old day planner a few weeks before our wedding & we noticed it. We both thought it was pretty funny. :)

* I have never tried any illegal drugs. Did my share of drinking and smoking in high school, but was afraid that since I have no known allergies, it'd be my luck that I'd be allergic to pot or something & my parents would have to be notified after my hospitalization. Strange thinking, but I guess it kept me clean. ;)

* I LOVE wine. I could bathe in it. My DH's family grows acres & acres of wine grapes in Sonoma County, CA.

* I feel such a primal protective instinct since becoming a mother, that I am sure I could beat the hxll out of anyone who threatend my DD just out of my sheer grit and instinct.

Must go.
J

bunnisa
06-05-2006, 07:01 PM
>Cool! Who's your SIL?
>
>
>-Ry,

She played the horrible girlfriend!!

Bethany
blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

cmdunn1972
06-05-2006, 07:33 PM
>* I can't believe I did that... I saw someone driving ahead of
>me that looked like they were having a seizure. At the stop
>light I got out of my car and walked to their car and realized
>the guy was super drunk and not having a seizure. I told him
>to pull over in the parking lot or I would call the cops. He
>did! He gave me the keys to his car and I drove him home. He
>was my age and engaged to a nice girl. I walked him to the
>door and gave the keys to his fiance and told her I was his
>angel. He has one last chance to make a good life w/her and
>not go to jail. She cried and thanked me.
>
>That was nuts! I can't believe i did that.

Nancy, thank goodness you DID do that! You never know, you might have saved some innocent bystander's (or that guy's) life that day. Kudos to you for having the guts to do something like that! :) We should all be so brave. :)

TaChapm
06-05-2006, 09:36 PM
I have had so much fun reading about all of you!!! I feel like I know you all so much better and reading some of your posts reminds me that there are some things that are still interesting about me as well. These are things I forget about but others have mentioned that I think are pretty cool. It is nice to know there are others out there with similar experiences.

Thank you all for sharing! This has been fun! We are all pretty cool! :)

Tara
Tyler William 6-9-05

mommy_someday
06-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Wow, we have lots of interesting mamas on this board! Cool thread.

About me:

-My very first crush ever was MacGyver. I still *heart* him!

-I know how to change the oil in my car and have replaced the alternator twice (with help, but still).

-I was a band geek (flute) in high school. I did color guard for three years (loved it!) and was co-captain my senior year. I was also really involved in drama, even though I'm really painfully shy in real life. Weird, huh?

-I never, ever did drugs or smoked anything in my whole life. Someone in my immediate family was involved in drugs most of my life, putting my family and me at risk for years. To this day, the smell of pot instantly p!sses me off.

-I have one tattoo, on my tush where no one but DH can see it. I never wanted one really, but DH thinks they're hot so I got one as a surprise for his birthday a few years ago. He's reeeeeeally hard to buy for, lol!

-DH and I met on a college spring break trip (my soph year). We were in Pensacola, FL, building a house for Habitat. It was an amazing experience. He says that he new he wanted to be with me the first time he saw me. Ten days after we started dating, we knew we were in love. We got married 14 months after we first met and just had our fifth anniversary. We are closer than we have ever been.

-I decided in 6th grade that I wanted to be a physical therapist. I was in the top 3% of my class in HS and could've gone pretty much anywhere, but I only applied to one college - the one in my state with a great PT program. I got a full-tuition scholarship, surprisingly. After two years, I realized that PT wasn't for me, so I graduated with a general biology degree. That was four years ago. I still have NO IDEA what I want to be when I grow up. ;)

-I once picked up a couple of hitch-hikers, by myself, when I was supposed to be playing church softball. I had seen them at the highway off-ramp when I came home from work and then again hours later as I went to the softball game. The opposing team forfeited and the hitch-hikers were still there as I drove home. I felt like it was a sign. It was a man and a visibly pregnant woman. I drove them almost an hour down the interstate and dropped them off at a gas station/Subway full of people. I gave the woman my spare pair of sneakers that I had in my car - her shoes had holes in the soles. I cried the whole way home because I felt sorry for them and because I was alive. They could've easily killed me and taken my car. I sat in my mom's lap the second I got home and told her what I'd done. She freaked out, but said that she understood why I did it. I was 19.

Okay...that's probably more than anyone wanted to know about me, lol!

Wife_and_mommy
06-05-2006, 10:44 PM
My primary language used to be Spanish...now I can barely speak it!

I(like many others here,interestingly!) have never done illegal drugs, drank alcohol or smoked a cigarette. You think it's the researcher in us?

I'm living my life-long dream of being a wife and mommy! :)

MarisaSF
06-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Hmmm.... well, things you wouldn't easily guess?

-Here I am sitting in my "This is what a feminist looks like t-shirt" admitting that one of the only tv shows I follow is America's Next Top Model.

-My sister and I both did some fashion modeling as children and teenagers.

-I've marched on Washington -- once with my parents and my DH while pregnant with DD (so it's like she was there too, right? :)).

-I have done illegal drugs. I started smoking cigarettes when I was 16 or 17, but they lost their thrill by the time I was 18 and could buy them legally.

-I was the captain of my swimming and water polo teams in college. I can't play water polo for sh!t. Seriously. My team made nationals somehow. They would put me in for the first sprint to the ball. Once the ball was in possession, I'd get pulled out.

-DH and I have been together exclusively since we were 19.

-I've run 3 marathons and hope to run many more.

-I've done some long-distance swims. I signed up 2 or 3 times for the darn Escape from Alcatraz, but it got canceled on me each time. Some day!

MarisaSF
06-05-2006, 11:18 PM
>*I have the loudest, most obnoxious laugh. (My husband
>is mortified when I start laughing in public.)
>

You too, Corie!?!??!
Your DH would have a grand time commiserating with my DH, friends and family. I've tried to keep it in check, but sometimes it just can't be controlled. LOL!

MarisaSF
06-05-2006, 11:44 PM
>Not nowadays, not with THESE lactating boobs!
>Jiggle-jiggle-jiggle-jiggle.... :p

Aw, man. Now you're *my* greatest fantasy. :P

slknight
06-06-2006, 05:41 AM
Marisa, I have done the Escape from Alcatraz swim twice. It is a BLAST! You must do it someday. I am trying to decide when to do it next. I live on the East Coast, so both times, I planned my vacation around it. :) The worst swim I ever did was a 10K in Atlantic City. It was endless.

Jo..
06-06-2006, 06:11 AM
...I met DH playing an online game (Age of Empires) 9 years ago. Every night, I'd sit down in front of the 'puter with a giant margarita and a bowl of Peanut Butter Captain Crunch and reduce his civilization to rubble. And he kept coming back for more! I figured any man willing to put up with that much crap from a woman was marriage material. I lucked out that he just *happened* to be darn cute, too.

...I used to dislike children. Swore I'd never have 'em, EVER. Yet this one was planned for and very much wanted :). What love does to you!

....I laugh too loud and really enjoy kindergarten humor and physical humor. I almost split a gut laughing when my dear friend slipped on the ice and slid about twenty feet across a parking lot. I couldn't even catch my breath enough to ask if she was okay. She stopped speaking to me for a couple days ;).

...I am paranoid and superstitious. I have to tell DH "I love you, be careful" every day when he leaves, or he will have an accident on the way to work.

...I only buy a very tiny percentage (1%?) of the bargains I post.

...I can fix a toilet, replace a light fixture, and have painted nearly every room in my house myself. I can and have cut down trees, chopped and split wood, milked cows, and driven tractors. But I refuse to pump my own gas, get the oil changed, or do ANYTHING car related.

The Review Mommy
06-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Elizabeth,

Aw...dreams *DO* come true! ;)

I haven't done any of that stuff either. Yes, its got to be the researcher in us!

-Rebekah

MarisaSF
06-06-2006, 11:27 AM
But Susan, I think my luck is cursed somehow! I signed up once, and the waves were too big or the current wasn't right, so instead of bringing us out on the boat, they offered us the chance to swim around the pier. Big whoop. Took about 20 minutes and they gave us medals that said "I escaped from Alcatraz." A total joke. :P

Three months later I signed up again, and a similar thing. Can't remember if I did the swim that time. So now I have a couple medals and/or t-shirts, but can't actually say I've done the swim.

Oh, and they don't refund your 70 bucks if they need to cancel it either! :( You get like 10 bucks off the next time. So... I'm cursed. Maybe if I plan a big trip around it, I'll have better luck? It was kinda my "home base" for a while. I used to swim weekly in the cove there. I got to the point where I preferred to be watersuitless too. :o

Awesome that you've been able to do it. Did you hear about the 7 year old? http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/22/alcatraz.swim.ap/index.html

CharmedOne
06-06-2006, 11:51 AM
I'll play too!

I'm quiet and shy when I'm with a group of people, even if I'm close to everyone in that group. Get me alone, and I'll talk your ear off!

I give off an air of seriousness. So when I'm feeling silly (which happens a lot!), my friends don't know what to make of me.

I'm the oldest of six, but sometimes I feel I should be the middle child. My younger sister is by far the most outspoken and decisive of us all.

I love learning a new language! If I had to do it all over again, I would have majored in a foreign language instead of economics. I took Spanish and French back to back during my senior year for fun. I would have taken German and Italian as well if my econ thesis didn't get in the way. Now I'm picking up some Japanese and Mandarin. Sadly I'm not fluent in Vietnamese (my native language). But when I'm extremely tired (or mad for that matter) all I can speak is Vietnamese. I can also speak with accents when I'm tired, but I can't do it on cue to save my life. Weird, huh?

Most of my work is done via e-mail and phone. I lot of people assume I'm Hispanic because of my married name (Diaz) and hence speak to me in Spanish. Luckily I do speak Spanish, so it cracks me up to see their faces when we finally meet in person. I considered keeping my maiden name for work, but I thought it would be too confusing. Now I get a lot of well-meaning people accidentally calling me "Cameron". No, I'm not related to her! And yes, my name is Caroline with an "e" and not Carolina!!! You shouldn't assume anything these days based on a person's name.

Maybe it's a Gemini thing. I like to keep busy doing a zillion things, but I also get bored easily. I have knitting, crochetting and scrapbooking projects scattered everywhere. I also like conversing with myself. :)

I could eat chocolate and cheese all day. It's a good thing I have a fast metabolism!

I didn't learn how to ride a bike until college (and haven't ridden once since).

I'm scared to death of globes and most maps, but I love looking at them. DH thinks it strange that I have to wear my kitchen gloves to touch the atlas. I have no idea why I'm so afraid.

Caroline

http://b2.lilypie.com/3k5Am7/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

The Review Mommy
06-06-2006, 12:40 PM
>I'm quiet and shy when I'm with a group of people, even if I'm close to everyone in that group. Get me alone, and I'll talk your ear off!
>
>I give off an air of seriousness. So when I'm feeling silly (which happens a lot!), my friends don't know what to make of me.
>
>I'm the oldest of six, but sometimes I feel I should have been the middle child. My younger sister is by far the most outspoken and decisive of us all.
>
>I like to keep busy doing a zillion things, but I also get bored easily. I have knitting, crochetting and scrapbooking projects scattered everywhere. I also like conversing with myself. :)
>
>I could eat chocolate and cheese all day. It's a good thing I have a fast metabolism!

OMG, this is *SO* me too! :) I can talk your ear off if I know you. I seem serious, even stuck up, to those who don't know me. I really hate hearing about this one from the friends I've made, first impression of me. But of course it's totally wrong! ;) I'm silly.:P I feel like I should be the middle child. My younger sister (of 10 yrs) is a crazy little thing-and even beat me up a couple of times and could pick me up off the ground and carry me. She tickled me mercilessly (I *HATE* being tickled). I'm always "into" a zillion things. I also like conversing with myself (but especially with DH). My fav is choco and cheese. I usually have a block of cheddar all to myself and nibble on it through out the day. And I have a fast metabolism-everyone thought I was anorexic in High School but I *LOVE* to eat!

The only slight differences would be that I'm the oldest of 5, and I don't do the particular knitting, crocheting, or scrapbooking. Oh, and I don't really ever feel bored, even though maybe I should? I'm pretty low key when it comes to passing the time. KWIM? ;)

Your BBB Sis :)
-Rebekah

JulieL
06-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Well this probably won't get read but I'll bite:

Growing up I always thought I'd marry a youth paster or a minister, instead I married an agnostic at 18.

I love art, in it's many venues, including the art of music, but I'm a dabbler of all, a master of none - as of today.

I'm in the process of teaching myself to play the guitar.

I've been married 7+ years.

I love to talk, and wish often I could restrain myself.

I absolutely ***love*** to read, and currently my favorite topic to read about is the first century around the Christian church, and history regarding Christianity. I also enjoy reading about differant branches of Christianity that are currently practiced, and ones long since left aside.

I am one of six children by my mother. We all have differant fathers. My mother got pregnant with her first at the age of twelve and told the wrong guy as well. My sister came out healthy, beautiful and brown, the "father" waiting for his baby was quite white, as my mother is. My mother has lost custody and/or given up custody to all 6 children. "Suprisingly", she has no good relationships with any of her children.

My favorite author is C.S. Lewis, gives you so much to chew on.

When I got pg with my son, we were planning that he wouldn't come for another 9 years, wow God has a BIG sense of humor!

I intend one day, when I get to grow up and go to school to be a special education teacher :)

cbm
06-06-2006, 09:18 PM
My list:

I speak 4 languages and I read and write 5. I can speak the 5th, but only if I have to.

I have spent about 10 years volunteering for a literacy program in whatever city I have lived.

One year, one of my school art projects done with recyclable material (for university) was display in a U.S. museum for about 30 days. I think only 60 projects (maybe less - I don't remember the number correctly, but it was low) out of many from high schools and universities were displayed. It was a contest. I didn't win, but who cares :-) ! I wasn't even an art student!

I am a geek and proud of it :-) . Reading is my hobby.

C.
DS 12/18/04

Mamma2004
06-06-2006, 09:45 PM
What a great topic! Let's see...

I am an only child, married to an only child. Despite our heartfelt aspirations, DS may very well remain an only child. Fortunately he is the love of our lives and we are truly grateful to have him!

My best friend is also an only child and we've been "sisters" for over 31 years.

I lived in Italy for a time and would still love to return for another year or more. It would be wonderful for both DH and DS to enjoy the experience of really knowing a city and becoming a part of it while developing fluency in the language.

I stopped just shy of my Ph.D. (got a great job while working on my dissertation, finally got pregnant with DS after years of infertility and now cannot imagine leaving him for *any* job). I guess I've left behind the Ivy League and will find my own path when DS goes to school.

DH and I - before DS - danced competitively, as well as for fun. Ballroom is so much more than what you see on Dancing with the Stars!

When I was very little I aspired to become "President Zookeeper". You see, I loved animals and was inexplicably fascinated by President Nixon's televised addresses. [blush] I wanted to combine the two so I declared at a very young, naive age that I would be president zookeeper!

Now I aspire to be a better Mamma tomorrow than I am today, all while striving to be a better wife, daughter and friend. I still envision juggling my many passions, perhaps when DS is older. I would love to continue to learn - and to teach - while somehow finding time to dance, play tennis, do yoga, volunteer, write, learn to knit and travel!

jeniferrlynne
06-06-2006, 10:46 PM
I laughed when I read that you were terrified of parrots... That is the first time I had heard of that. Though I have heard of people being scared of birds in general after seeing the movie "birds"..

ribbit1019
06-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Congrats Heather!! Wishes for many years of wedded bliss to you and your DH!

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04

ribbit1019
06-07-2006, 08:34 AM
You are an amazing person, none of that surprises me in the least!!

Did I read that right that you are a cancer survivor too???

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04

holliam
06-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Oh my gosh, this has been my favorite thread ever. I'm late to the party, but I have loved reading this. I've had several "suspicions" confirmed! ;) LOL

So, if you don't mind me chiming in late, here we go...

* I graduated 5th in my high school class but I was totally wild outside of class. I liked boys far too much, and I drank and smoked too. I mostly had it out of my system by college.

* I have performed brain surgery on rats.

* I have lived in Madrid and had a wonderful Spanish boyfriend. I dreamt about him in Spanish!

* I met DH on a BBS back in '92 way before online dating was around.

* I backpacked around Europe by myself (Spain, France, Portugal, England, Italy, Austria, Germany) when I was 19 during the fall of Eastern Europe. I have chunks of the Berlin Wall that I knocked off myself.

* I have snorkeled in the Great Barrier Reef

* I have wanted to adopt since I was 9 years old. I always knew I would.

* I love Duran Duran, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Police, Violent Femmes, Billy Joel, Billy Idol, Simon & Garfunkel, the Carpenters, and just about every other band from any genre from the late 70s and 80s. I could not name a song/artist since about '92.

* I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for about 5 years until I met DH and realized I could score free meals at his parents' house if I ate chicken. Still only eat chicken--no seafood or red meat.

Holli

ribbit1019
06-07-2006, 09:43 AM
>>...I only buy a very tiny percentage (1%?) of the bargains I post.

I am so glad to know that, I was seriously imagining your house bursting at the seams with toys and baby stuff! LOL! Don't ask me why this makes me feel better, maybe because my own house is ready to explode due to the amount of crap I have??????

Christy
My Waterbabies
Maddy 6/9/04

Corie
06-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Holli,

What is a lacto-ovo vegetarian?? I didn't realize that
there were different types of vegetarians!!

elliput
06-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Obviously not Holli, but lacto-ovo is milk/milk products and eggs are eaten.

CharmedOne
06-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Oh, you are my long lost twin!

Don't you hate that first impression? I don't know where it comes from, but I get it from everyone I meet. I'm so jealous of my sister who can hit it off with anyone she meets.

Mmmm, I haven't had my cheese fix yet today... ;)

Caroline

http://b2.lilypie.com/3k5Am7/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

kboyle
06-07-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm an only also and LOVED being an only, 2 of my 3 best friends growning up were also only children.

I'm left handed, and so is Charlie. DH is ambidexterous.

DH is 8 yrs older than I am.

We had Charlie before we got married (married a yr later).

I did go thru a "party" phase and dabbled in drugs for quite a while. I had to go thru a drug & alchol program when I was 15 when I got caught with drug paraphernalia so that i wouldn't get expelled, i think they went easy on me since i was actually a good student (grad with a 3.75, which was great since i recently found out that i was considered a "pothead" in hs)

I'll admit i still do enjoy drinking beer (obviously in moderation when the children are at a sitter) please don't envision me sitting around watching "married with children" with empty beer cans around me while flies are bzzzing around an old pizza box :)

I also LOVE to 4 wheel and Dh is currently trying to teach me how to ride a dirt bike on our son's honda 50. which he is entirely way to young to ride.

I just donated 12" of my hair to locks of love & now my head feels naked :)

I too love video games, esp Tony Hawk, i'd love to be able to skateboard, i have absolutely no balance :)

I can barely swim, really, i suck at swimming.

I've seen black sabbath in concert the last time theywere in cleveland.

i've been to the philippines twice.

i'm horrible with money.

babymama
06-07-2006, 02:34 PM
DH is 12 years older than I am. Met him at a conference.

I took a hip hop dance class for about 1 year. Loved it! My instructor was the choreographer for Washington Redskins cheerleaders

I played the french horn for over 10 years.

I've run a marathon (2001). I don't really have a desire to do another one.

I am completely terrified of bees, wasps, yellowjackets, etc. I mean really, really afraid - like dibilitating fear.

I have a big birthmark on my back shoulderblade

In high school, I went through a New Kids on the Block phase. *shudder*

One of my favorite movies ever is Urban Cowboy. I've ridden a mechanical bull.

I interviewed Peter Jennings for my campus tv station in college.

Don't know how to ride a bike.

I was vegetarian for 12 years. Just recently started eating meat/chicken again.

I have a bad C-Span habit (ditto local access tv). I change the channel when DH walks into the room bc I'm embarrased at how much I love it!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, my 2 yr old monster
and new baby girl, Solana, born 12/26/05
I'll figure out how to update my avatar someday!

babymama
06-07-2006, 02:34 PM
DH is 12 years older than I am. Met him at a conference.

I took a hip hop dance class for about 1 year. Loved it! My instructor was the choreographer for Washington Redskins cheerleaders

I played the french horn for over 10 years.

I've run a marathon (2001). I don't really have a desire to do another one.

I am completely terrified of bees, wasps, yellowjackets, etc. I mean really, really afraid - like dibilitating fear.

I have a big birthmark on my back shoulderblade

In high school, I went through a New Kids on the Block phase. *shudder*

One of my favorite movies ever is Urban Cowboy. I've ridden a mechanical bull.

I interviewed Peter Jennings for my campus tv station in college.

Don't know how to ride a bike.

I was vegetarian for 12 years. Just recently started eating meat/chicken again.

I have a bad C-Span habit (ditto local access tv). I change the channel when DH walks into the room bc I'm embarrased at how much I love it!

ETA - one more....I am a sucker for conspiracy theories, bigtime!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, my 2 yr old monster
and new baby girl, Solana, born 12/26/05
I'll figure out how to update my avatar someday!

bcky2
06-07-2006, 02:55 PM
>I'll admit i still do enjoy drinking beer (obviously in
>moderation when the children are at a sitter) please don't
>envision me sitting around watching "married with children"
>with empty beer cans around me while flies are bzzzing around
>an old pizza box :)

are you trying to say that there is something wrong with doing this ;)

The Review Mommy
06-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Lydia,

My DH plays the French Horn...he's in love. You should see him and DD-what a party! :)

I like peace and quiet, but I'll endure because they're spending 'quality time'.

-Rebekah

Corie
06-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Lydia,

Your hip hop class sounds like alot of fun!! I would love
to take a class like that!! :)

pb&j
06-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Get out!!! Very cool...

-Ry,
and Max, 01/05/06

american_mama
06-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Laura, that weight loss over so many years is very impressive!

buddyleebaby
06-07-2006, 10:04 PM
LOl! I know it's weird...
It stems from the fact that a particularly evil african grey flew into our window one day and decided to stay. She is the nastiest most horrible creature I have ever met and ATTACKS everyone except for my father. (Parrot bites hurt!) I tried talking to a professional bird trainer about how to change her bahavior and was told that's just the way african greys are and there's nothing we can do about it, except avoid her, which I do...and all other parrots. The way they stare at you from the side of their heads creeps me out.

buddyleebaby
06-07-2006, 10:04 PM
LOl! I know it's weird...
It stems from the fact that a particularly evil african grey flew into our window one day and decided to stay. She is the nastiest most horrible creature I have ever met and ATTACKS everyone except for my father. (Parrot bites hurt!) I tried talking to a professional bird trainer about how to change her bahavior and was told that's just the way african greys are and there's nothing we can do about it, except avoid her, which I do...and all other parrots. The way they stare at you from the side of their heads creeps me out.

JulieL
06-08-2006, 09:13 AM
ITA a hip hop class sounds SO fun. If I entered a class like that they'd kick me out just to keep the class from being distracted!