PDA

View Full Version : Sensitive Question (and TMI Warning)

ajmom
06-01-2006, 12:49 PM
This is maybe a sensitive question and I hope I'm not being offensive by asking.. A friend of mine is about 7 or 8 weeks pg. and she started spotting yesterday. She said it was mostly light pink. Then it stopped last night abut started again this morning.

I tried to reassure her that lots of things can cause spotting- even sex can cause some *minor* bleeding due to the fact that your entire body is more vascular during pregnancy.

SHe is going to go to the emergency rom this afternoon and I guess I don't blame her b/c I know she is worried, and rightfully so, but if she were having a true m/c wouldn't the bleeding be significantly stronger by now? If she's been spotting for over 24 hrs (except for during the night)and it seems to be about the same- is m/c still a concern at this point? I hope I'm asking clearly and not being too insensitive. I'm certainly not a doctor, but I would think she's probably OK if 1) the spotting stopped temporarily and 2) it's not getting worse and not accompanied with major cramping.

KimberleyDawn
06-01-2006, 12:57 PM
She can still be m/c even without blood and cramps.....a very close friend of mine m/c at 8wks and didn't find out until a routine u/s at 13wks.

trumansmom
06-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Instead of going to the ER, perhaps she could call her doc? At the risk of being even more insensitive (I've had two miscarriages), if she is in fact miscarrying, there isn't anything they can do for her this early in a pregnancy. She *might* be able to get an ultrasound, but I would think talking to her regular doc should be her first course of action.

I bled through the first trimester of my last pregnancy. It was a subchorionic bleed, which is very common and sounds more like what your friend is experiencing than when I miscarried.

Bleeding while pregnant is terrifying. I hope she gets good news.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

hez
06-01-2006, 01:19 PM
There are a variety of reasons for spotting.

I spotted for 3 weeks with Payton at about that time.

I spotted with my last pregnancy at about that time, and the outcome was different.

I don't remember anything different with my spotting between the two. I don't fault your friend in the least for being checked out. I call my doctor for anything I'm unsure about. When I mentioned how I felt like I called too often, I was admonished that while they've seen 'everything' I haven't, and therefore should call when I feel I need to.

JulieL
06-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Many women find out with just spotting that when tested their HCG levels are going down, and that a mc is unavoidable (most likely). This would be something I assume she could find out in the ER. It's extremely heartwrenching when you feel like things are going wrong. I've been here on two sides of this issue, a mc and a pregnancy that went on to be fine. I wouldn't give her a hard time for wanting some kind of reassurance. I went in for an u/s the day after I started spotting with my daughter, they wanted to see where the bleeding was coming from, if it was obvious. Yes at this point other than progestrone, I don't think there is any thing they can do, but just knowing what to expect can be extremely emotionally helpful.

hez
06-01-2006, 01:32 PM
> if she is in fact miscarrying, there isn't anything they can do for her this early in a pregnancy

Except confirm if she is (and erase the uncertainty) and give her information on what to expect and how to take care of herself. I agree, the regular OB/Gyn is the best place to start.

bubbaray
06-01-2006, 01:36 PM
I too have been on both sides of spotting. I had a significant bleed at 10w with DD, went on to have her at 39w (though on restrictions for 29w and "house arrest" the last 8w).

With my m/c in January, I started brown spotting at 4w (off and on, most days). My high risk OB, RE, and GP all assured me it was nothing to worry about unless it was red. At my 8w u/s, there was no h/b and the sac looked about 4w. I had NO cramping or red bleeding until 2 days later, when I was in a full-blown m/c.

While there may not be much they can/will do to stop a m/c at this stage, she can have a beta (2 actually, 48 hrs apart) and an u/s to try to see what is going on.

Hopefully your friend gets good news.

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

trumansmom
06-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Absolutely. I guess I didn't express myself clearly. (I really need to take my own advice, huh?) I should have been clear that getting help, speaking to a doctor, all are good ideas. I would just start with my ob before going to the ER. I, in fact, did end up going to the ER with my first miscarriage and that is where I miscarried. I went at the recommendation of my doctor.

I apologize if I appeared to be minimizing what she was going through, or to imply she shouldn't seek out answers. That was certainly not my intent.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

psophia17
06-01-2006, 01:49 PM
I had a m/c diagnosed in January - I had started spotting but didn't have any cramps or anything else, it wasn't a normal period by a long shot, but I was worried enough to go get a u/s done ASAP.

Turns out development had probably stopped within a few days of getting a BFP, and the spotting was actually my first post-m/c period. Not a cramp to speak of, or any other discomfort, except for the emotional drain.

Hugs and good wishes to your friend.

ajmom
06-01-2006, 02:20 PM
THanks for the info everyone. Admittedly, I don't know alot about miscarriages. I hope everything works out for her, too.