PDA

View Full Version : DS missing a testicle? Anyone else??

hillview
06-01-2006, 06:02 PM
So DS has surgery yesterday to find the missing undecended testicle but it turns out it never grew. Anyone else in this boat? Any sense of what this is like for him growing up? They mentioned a prosthesis -- anyone been through this?

ETA DS is 10.5 months.

Thanks!
/hillary

o_mom
06-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Totally third hand, but a friend's husband had one removed as a baby (no idea why) and he seemed to be fine with it growing up and she said unless you were really looking for it you can't even tell. They don't have kids for other reasons, so I can't comment on fertility.

brittone2
06-01-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm fairly sure with one testicle most men are still very fertile unless there are other issues. With two they make SOOO much sperm....half of that is still a lot ;)

Tondi G
06-02-2006, 12:26 AM
My Ds had what they called a "Nubbin"... in essence a testicle that had a cut off blood supply or something that caused it to not grow properly and it was like a little raisin. The Urologist said that his other testicle actually grew larger than normal to compensate and that as long as he doesn't have any injury (he should wear a cup if he plays football) he should have no trouble with fertility later in life. He also said when DS is over 14 if he wants a prosthetic testicle put in place to come on in!!! He is almost 5 now and you wouldn't know the difference unless you looked closely.

Funny thing is that my DH's father and my Dh both had one undecended testicle.... and the Urologist said it would be interresting to see if when my son has children if one of his sons has it too??? My second DS had both perfectly decended!!!

HTH's you!

~Tondi

kijip
06-02-2006, 12:34 AM
I don't think you can tell just by looking. My inclination would be to wait until he is older to think about a prosthesis.

buttergirl12
06-02-2006, 09:32 AM
DH has one undescended testicle. You can't really tell unless you inspect closely. He had an operation to bring it down when he was 9 or 11 but it went back up. No issues with fertility.

Manja
WAHM to J 10/2003

http://b3.lilypie.com/wP8Zm5/.png[/img][/url]

megs4413
06-02-2006, 09:37 AM
DH had one removed because it was cancerous. I've been pregnant since then so I know his fertility isn't an issue! And speaking as the wife of one who has one, it really doesn't bother me at all and like PPs have said, you can hardly tell. I wouldn't do a prosthesis unless DS requested it later on. I'm sorry you're going through this, but I'm sure he's going to lead a normal, healthy, happy life! Big hugs to you and yours.